General First Aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I have done the sja activity first aid course (16hr) which as a scout leader seems to be the most useful that i could afford

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Genty

Tenderfoot
In Germany, you cannot get a driving license without a first aid course. I would be a big fan of implementing that here.

I think I'm right in saying the same is true in Sweden where, in addition, your car will fail its MOT if it does not have a FAK, warning triangle, blanket, torch etc in the boot. I'd welcome both of those in the UK.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have used my First Aid training more for members of the public than when leading groups in the outdoors, 1993 was my first qual. course.
Any course must have a day of 'outdoor scenarios' otherwise learning can be weak.

We had a few kids faint today before, during and after the HPV jags !

Dealing with cuts, ticks, burns and heart attacks would be what the needs of the bushcrafters are........

This is no substitute for training, and indeed is more geared towards sustaining long term health, but nontheless, this book makes an interesting read. I first came across it in a village in Kenya:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-There-No-Doctor-Handbook/dp/0333516524

Nice one. This is in my medical library and well worth the investment. Even as an advanced practitioner, I still can learn some good medical skills from this book. Another one that I like the pocket guide to wilderness medicine. I give this book out to my students on the first day of the course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE