hammoks again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
hi

ive seen the patten for the thai hammocks and i would like to make one. could anyone recomend any paticular fabric and/or suppliers.

Many thanks

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Scoops,
Fabrics? I have tried - parasilk - pertex - polycotton - pure cotton in various weights - polyester mesh - PU coated nylon mixed with midge netting, etc, etc, etc, etc.
The current variation is rip-stop parasilk with a panel of IPK sheet!
Basically anything that is cheap and fairly lightweight.
Polycotton (workwear fabric is excellent) try anything to start with and as you get more proficient go for more lightweight combinations.
Neil

S

Skippy

there is nothing like making your own, but for anyone who is not that way inclined Hennesey hammocks make a great new range of covered hammocks. even better take a look and then make one. (don't steal the designs though)

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
ive got a design, modified from the thai hammok im now looking for the right material for it but not sure what to use

S

Skippy

Oxford Nylon seems to be the proffessional choice for both weight and strength, where you would get it from...who knows.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Scoops,
If you need any further advice while making it just ask. Remember the instructions are for the basic model, you can add all sorts of extras - mozzie nets,dump pockets, pad pockets, etc,etc.
Good luck.
Neil

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Neil1 said:
Scoops,
If you need any further advice while making it just ask. Remember the instructions are for the basic model, you can add all sorts of extras - mozzie nets,dump pockets, pad pockets, etc,etc.
Good luck.
Neil

Neil,

have you got any advice on attaching a mozzy net to a hammock?

I've got a very cheap but good hammock (for all the Dutch members: 10 euros, they are sold at ANWB-winkels all over Holland. They come in a small bag and are a good bargain) and have a separate impregnated hammock mosquito net. However, the mosquito net is open on the underside and I have to use 5 clamps to get it to shut (and then it's still not 'mosquito-tight'...). Furthermore it's white and I rather have a dark one for better sight through the mesh.

So how do you do it?
My idea was to sew the mozzie net material to three sides of the hammock and make some kind of entrance of the fourth side either with a zipper or a strip of velcro. Than some loops must be added in the middle of the mozzie net so I can attach it to an overhanging line to create 'tent space'.
But, so far, I haven't tried it yet and maybe you have better ideas as you already have made these things before.

I am very curious to hear of your solutions on this and, if you don't mind, an online introduction lesson into the other 'extra's' would be fine with me!

Thanx in advance, Galemys

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Actually saw something earlier today that looked like a pretty interesting concept when checking the http://www.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/ in the alcoholic stoves thread. If you scroll down to 18th of may you will see he used a simple solution with a tube of mosquito netting that he pulls over the hammock and secures at both ends with elastic cords. Simple solution that looks like it might work pretty neat. To get out of it, just loosen the elastic cord on one end and pull it over the hammock to the other end.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
thanks. ive only used the instuctions as a guide and have added my own modifications. i'll will be adding a mossi net to it but have only an idea on how to attach it as ive only just ordered it, so will work out the rest when i recive it. got to go now more sewing of the hammock to be done. :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE