A Coconut-shell fishhook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Superb :D

I like the mind that when confronted with making a cup from a coconut, makes a B cup :lol:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I understand that coconut oil is pressed from shredded coconut flesh, not heated. When I was working in Sri Lanka a few years ago I had the opportunity to examine a few traditional presses, but wasn't luck enough to see them in operation. The smell is... unique, but certainly makes for good honing oil!

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
You've created little pieces of magic from what most folks would see as waste. Terrific work - the kind of thing that makes you stop and actually look at the household things around you, and wonder... hmmm... I wonder what that might be useful for. Well done!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Top idea ! I am going to have to give that a go . You really have to see if that hook will catch fish !

Jason

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I understand that coconut oil is pressed from shredded coconut flesh, not heated. When I was working in Sri Lanka a few years ago I had the opportunity to examine a few traditional presses, but wasn't luck enough to see them in operation. The smell is... unique, but certainly makes for good honing oil!

Thank´s Matt, I feel another little project coming up ;)

Cheers,

Tom

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
That's great, nice work, it's nice stuff to use and hardwearing, i've used it for spoon bowls.

T

Tim Rast

More coconut-shell fun! Two pendants for my daughters, the one with the trunky snout depicts the animal of my avatar and forum name (the pyrenean desman, Galemys pyrenaicus), the other a cat. The eyes were made of some fake jewellery stones that I happened to find in a little container at home (let's hope SWMBO doesn't find out...:27:).

I hope these links will work as I'm at work and can't upload the pictures to my Photobucket account...fingers crossed:

http://postimage.org/image/2iu0rd410/

http://postimage.org/image/2iunwvyxw/

http://postimage.org/image/2iuw6kpes/

A tropical coconut shell bikini (cup B) that I made for the december festivities here at work, the recipient was very pleased…
http://postimage.org/image/2iu7dii04/

If we get more snow here I might try coconut snow goggles as my next project

Cheers,

Tom

I like the snow goggles idea! I was once told by a Danish archaeologist working in Greenland that coconuts were floated to Greenland frequently enough as driftwood that they were used in some artifacts. I've never been able to find the artifacts that he was talking about, so I'm starting to think that he was pulling my leg, but still...

Cool idea and great work!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I like the snow goggles idea! I was once told by a Danish archaeologist working in Greenland that coconuts were floated to Greenland frequently enough as driftwood that they were used in some artifacts. I've never been able to find the artifacts that he was talking about, so I'm starting to think that he was pulling my leg, but still...

Cool idea and great work!

Hi Tim,

I knew that coconuts could wash up on european shores with the gulf stream but I never imagined them to reach Greenland as well!

I had posted this coconut shell stuff on the Dutch bushcraft forum as well, including the idea for the snow goggles and got a comment that the combination eskimo & coconut would be very unlikely... I can now slap the commenter on the head with your information ;) thank's for that.

Cheers,

Tom (who's now off googling some snow goggles)

PS By the way, you've got a fascinating weblog Tim, I loved the baleen wolf killer bit.

T

Tim Rast

Hehe - I'm glad you have some more ammunition for your coconut debate, Tom.
And thanks for the comments on the blog - yes, those wolfkillers are a nasty bit of ingenuity.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
What is coconut like to work with?
It´s dense, quite hard and there´s no grain running trough it so you can work in all directions. It can be brittle though (the pussycat´s back leg broke of when I used a saw that was too broad, at a slight angle)
And off course you´ll have to remove the hairy outer fibres first.

You should just try one out! They cost under a euro here in Holland and there´s some additional food and drink in it as well ;)
And coconut oil, but I´ll have to try that first. If I can extract a reasonable amount maybe I´ll try some simple liquid soap making as well...

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE