Walking /tracking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,heres the other project that i finished this week.

I cut some Hazel for sticks about 5 years ago and i have just gotten round to making a walking stick :rolleyes:

Anyway i thought you might like a look.

I chose the handle shape for the reason that when i go foraging,i will be able to pull tree branches down to get at the hard to reach bounty.
Full length shot.
trackstick2.jpg

A side view of the handle.
trackstick.jpg

And a closer shot.
trackstick3.jpg

And the end of the handle shape.
trackstick4.jpg

Once i finished shaping and sanding,i mixed teak oil and some brown dye to tone down the white wood on the handle as it was just to bright for my liking.

I am also putting on some castration bands to use it as a tracking stick.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Lovely. Few questions for you.
1. Is the handle part of the root, or joined onto the stick?
2. What is a "tracking" stick.
and lastly...bit scared to ask...what is a castration band?

Stuart.

troopermaz

Apr 15, 2010
Highworth
looking at it stu it looks like it is all one piece 2. a tracking stick is used to measure the stride etc. when tracking to give a rough idea of the size of animal which is where the castration bands come in (as they are like small thick rubber bands that are put around the scrotum of sheep to cut off the blood supply thus castrating the rams), which can be moved up or down the stick to give a fixed measurement which can then be laid against the next set of tracks
BC_Bands_lg.jpg

Last edited:

ganstey

Settler
Thanks TrooperMaz, I was going to ask the same questions as IntrepidStu.

I can see how marking the length of stride would be useful to compare against another to see if it was speeding up or slowing down, but how's it used to gauge the size of animal? It's been a hard day and I'm probably being particularly thick today!

G

troopermaz

Apr 15, 2010
Highworth
no worries, as i understand it, its same as humans the length of the leg is proportionate to the size of the animal so the length of the leg determines the length of stride to a degree

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Thats a nice stick there Stuart f, i like the idea of the handle. I just finished my Hazel stick last weekend , a bit lighter coloured than yours.Thanks for sharing.
Daz

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,thanks for the kind comments.

Hi Stuart. So is the handle part of the root matey ?

Hi stu,the stick is all one piece,and the handle was'nt part of the root,the stick itself is a shoot which was growing straight up on a downed Hazel branch.So the handle was part of the downed branch.

So if you turned the stick upside down you would see how it was growing.
tsupdown.jpg

I hope thats clearer than mud.

Cheers Stuart

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Yep...got it now, Cheers !
Hi folks,thanks for the kind comments.

Hi stu,the stick is all one piece,and the handle was'nt part of the root,the stick itself is a shoot which was growing straight up on a downed Hazel branch.So the handle was part of the downed branch.

So if you turned the stick upside down you would see how it was growing.
tsupdown.jpg

I hope thats clearer than mud.

Cheers Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE