Cache?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
reading through my copy of Kepharts camping and woodcraft i chanced upon the bit about building a cache
this struck me as quite a good idea for my wee permission to save me having to lug certain items up everytime i fancy an evening or weekends worth of camping
does anyone else have a cache? i did search the forum first and saw mention of a beer cache but nothing else apart from lots of threads about geocaching.
just curious as to if people do have one what they have hidden away what they have used to cache it in and generally what people think to the idea
sorry if this is in the wrong section please move it to a more valid area.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
We don't have any 'special permission' places to go (just wild camping), so we have no permanent caches.
However, if we are going to be out for a couple of days, or if just fancy having lots of luxuries on hand for the night, we do a special 'kit drop' either the day or morning previous. This involves exactly what you might expect - we know the area we are going to be in and so make a special stash of water and other heavy stuff so we don't have to carry it in with everything else.
But no permanent caches, no.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Similar to Durulz really, if I know I'm going to be stopping some place it's been known for me to stash a couple of tins or water a few days in advance.

Regarding water, we've sometimes stashed some in a jerry can and left it for up to five days before using it, are there any health implications doing this does anyone know ?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
As above, regards water, also where i go to on a regular basis, i have a couple of bits, but don't leave anything i would be botherd about if it got stolen.
On this subject, i went ther the other day, and found my stuff had been moved, and someone else had used the camp, but it was all still there.

Rob

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
I've just begun reading Kephart's book as welll...
Re caches... there's water all over here. You're never really farther than a couple of hours away from water wherever you go here. (at least in my experience). A much better gear item is a high quality water filtration system (i think I use the MEC Sweetwater factory?... i forget) as the water here can have a couple of water bourne pathogens - for instance Giardia.

I wouldn't leave water in a barrel for a week.... Aside from not having to I'd worry about metals and such seeping into it.
Never thought of a gear cache... Wouldn't it be a bit like dropping your own couch in someone's house because you usually go to watch the hockey?

I wonder how that would work legally...

Cool concept though and I think i've seen a few on youtube do it.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Chlorine will seep out of the water in non-airtight containers in less than 24hrs, so if you're leaving water for longer than that decrease the risk by having an airtight container and if you can, properly sterilise it first.

Otherwise I can't see the problem, not in the UK climate, depending on where you are internationally speaking could be an entirely different matter since many countries don't use chlorine.

You can of course use bottled water from the supermarkets here (ie tesco value 2ltr for 14p) and that ought to be fine for months. I believe it's UV treated, but don't quote me on that.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The supermarket bottles of water is what i tend to lay up. I own an msr water filter, but did'nt want to use water from a canal(was de-commisioned in the 20's)so when i walked along it i stashed bottles along the way. However, i found i could of managed without it, due to the location of a couple of pubs...

Rob

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I only cache beer , and only on those rare occasions when I've brought too much and am too lazy to carry it home. There must be loads of my bottles stashed around the area now. Great if I'm only on a short bimble and want a quick one though.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I only cache beer , and only on those rare occasions when I've brought too much and am too lazy to carry it home. There must be loads of my bottles stashed around the area now. Great if I'm only on a short bimble and want a quick one though.

For some reason this summoned up a mental picture of a squirrel desperately digging at random to try and find his buried supplies of acorns!

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
This amazes me... Go hiking in the woods and go "hmmm i wish I had a beer.... wait that tree looks familiar!"
-pshht... gulp gulp gulp **ahhh**

OK... so who was talking about preparedness? :p

Heyy wondering... is water hard to come by in the UK that you'd have to cache it? I thought it rained a lot there...

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Heyy wondering... is water hard to come by in the UK that you'd have to cache it? I thought it rained a lot there...

Yes and no.
Of course, there is plenty of water here in the UK. Plenty of rivers, streams and lakes.
However.
The UK is a relatively densely populated country. There is very little true wilderness (perhaps parts of northern Scotland). Consequently any water sources will be near some form of population. What with chemicals used on arable land, and chemicals used in animal feed (which gets passed through the system and deposited on the land in the urine and faeces), when it rains the land is drenched and all those chemicals can make their way into natural water sources. You can filter out dirt, and you can boil away germs...but the chemicals stay!
So yes - there is plenty of water in the UK, but too much of it is poisoned and not a good idea to drink unless treated in industrial facilities.
You wouldn't want to drink 'wild' water here in the UK, alas.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
You wouldn't want to drink 'wild' water here in the UK, alas.

Wow ... that's pretty sad. In this day and age of ecological responsability what you're describing here is an entire country that has been polluted.
Strange too... I thought Ray Mears mentionned somewhere that the Thames was the cleanest urban river in the world. I guess still not enough for consumption.

Off topic though... these are the guys in YT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAIrwoah57k
I think what they've been doing is building a semi permanent shelter and left some wood/gear behind for use when they come back.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Up until last weekend, I wasn't so keen on leaving a cache. Considering it was absolutely siling it down over our usual spot on Saturday night, in conjunction with the fact that I was also pretty peeved that some local youths had discovered our spot, I thought to myself... 'Maybe it's time I laid up a dry-kindling stash'. With that, my bezzie oppo trotted off further into the woods with my entrenching tool for what I thought was a 'Brad Pitt'. He came back two minutes later with a handful of dry kindling. :lmao:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Similar to Durulz really, if I know I'm going to be stopping some place it's been known for me to stash a couple of tins or water a few days in advance.

Regarding water, we've sometimes stashed some in a jerry can and left it for up to five days before using it, are there any health implications doing this does anyone know ?

There is Aqua Mira for water sterilization but there is something called Aqua Pura IIRC that has some silver based compound in it AFAIK that doesn't purify water but it maintains the potability for longer than without it. Basically it keeps iit fresh for some time 6 weeks springs to mind but I don't know why and am probably wrong with that time.

I hope this helps.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
To thecarotidpulse - I hate to contradict fellow posters but Durulz is wrong. Yes in lowland areas and the more populated areas or more intensively farmed areas you wouldn't want to drink the water. That leaves a lot of the country where you can drink water. The very fact that I have reached the age of 38 and haven't had any stomach upsets or illnesses of any kind that could even possibly be attributed to drinkin water from streams and even lakes. I have drunk water from streams in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. From the north and south, west and east of our country without negative effects. I think to condemn the whole country is wrong. You do have to remember that Britain is densely populated but by far the majority of the population is in the centres of population indeed I am sure the southest makes up a huge percentage of our population. I live in the north west of England near the north Lancs / South cumbria border and it is not so densely populated on top of that there are areas where there isn't the intensive agriculture. Indeed even the livestock peeing and defecating in the fields isn't a problem as any water will filter throught the ground and I am quite confident that the micro-organisms in the soil have their effect. The main advice in hilly areas is to check upstream for a short distance for the usual indicators of potential illness such as dead and rotting sheep or a farm yard / building upstream (unlikely). Drink water from water courses that are freely flowing for about 50m or feet (I can't remember which but never really worry because if it is flowing above you it is ok IMHO). Also courses that are flowing into tarns or lakes not out of it as the tarn fed water can have time for pathogens to multiply enough to reach potentially harmful levels. There are many sensible preventions you can make to keep safe and still drink water directly from natural waterways.

I think Durulz could be thinking too southern. Down there the areas that it is safe to drink water straight from water courses are probably low. I very much doubt there are too many chemicals in upland watercourses in Lakes, Scottish highlands, Scottish Uplands (such as Glentrool hills), Northumberland, Brecon Beacons, Snowdownia, high parts of Exmoor and Dartmoor, high parts of Peak District, High fells of the Pennines (remote areas above farm yards and away from former mining areas), etc, etc., etc.

I am sure you wouldn't drink water from a river flowing through say Cambridge, Ontario where there are centres of population and industry but you might from say Algonquin Provincial Park (sorry done business with companies in Cambridge and areas around there so know it has industry there then google mapped for the nearest national parkk type place to provide a comparison). There is too much made of Britain being polluted. Thames is the cleanest major waterway in Europe. Certainly the main rivers of Europe flowing through cities as big as London or even smaller is as clean. Certainly in some areas at least. Still I wouldn't drink it. I doubt anyone would for hundreds of years. It has been cleaned up and now has seen the re-colonisation of some species that only survive in clean water. It is a major fishery for young fish for many species including endangered species. It really is a sucess story. There are some areas where they never got polluted in the first place.

Anyway I am here, posting this comment and as a kid we went for walks without taking any water or even any means of holding water. If we wanted a drink we used our hands and scooped the water up from streams. If the country's waterways were as polluted as made out I am sure I wouldnt have made it past the age of about 5 or even younger! Having said that there is a bug that enters thee waterways via the urine of rats. It causes Leptospriosis and Weil's Disease. This collects in stagnent pools on rivers when low and gets washed down from farms when there is a lot of rain. It is well known to canoeists and whitewater kayakers. I know at least two people who caught it while paddling and that was in farming areas albeit more remote areas. Of course they were rivers and not streams. I doubt anyone anywhere would take water from rivers unless in really wilderness areas.

If you want to come to Britain and drink our water for yourself please do just observe some common sense precautions.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A few friends cached some wood. There was a spot we went to in the Lakes that whilst popular area that perfectly flat, football pitch sized spot rarely got used. We used it for a few years as many times as we could get up there. One guy carried a large bundle of prepared wood for a fire (there was a large flat rock that was perfect to light a fire on). Anyway the weather was so bad we didn't light a fire so he stashed it in a cavity under aa large rock that kept it dry. The only trouble was we never found it again, nor the rock it was under. Strange.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A few friends cached some wood. There was a spot we went to in the Lakes that whilst popular area that perfectly flat, football pitch sized spot rarely got used. We used it for a few years as many times as we could get up there. One guy carried a large bundle of prepared wood for a fire (there was a large flat rock that was perfect to light a fire on). Anyway the weather was so bad we didn't light a fire so he stashed it in a cavity under aa large rock that kept it dry. The only trouble was we never found it again, nor the rock it was under. Strange.

I've got a german poncho stashed under a rock somwhere near Angle Tarn which I've not been able to find

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE