A Sign Autumn is En Route

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
When I see these everywhere and my snake hooks get covered in their thick webs when walking across the common, I know Autumn is just around the corner.

18Sept201016.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's amazing what you can do with a phone camera.

The spiders aren't the ginormous size they get to yet, but it's only a few weeks off now. I have to use my stick to break through their webs, otherwise my trousers get covered in big scary spiders. It's really difficult to get the webs off the stick afterwards they are that tough. Saw a hornet take out a decent sized spider too, but as I got close it flew off, spider and all.

Adders were thin on the ground and I went an hour without seeing one. Sat down underneath a silver birch to eat a pasty, and just glanced around to see a big female sitting about two feet away from me. She was there for a good five minutes while I negotiated the rest of my lunch.

DSC04369.jpg

Notice the tail gripping the grass. They do this so they have the option of reversing and can also put momentum into a turn or strike by having an anchor point. Brilliant animals.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Notice the tail gripping the grass. They do this so they have the option of reversing and can also put momentum into a turn or strike by having an anchor point. Brilliant animals.
Little details like that are why I love this forum - I'd have never spotted that!

Lovely pic - what a stunning looking creature. :)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Interesting pictures there JonathanD, i have a couple of those critters living in the back of my van ( the Spiders not the snake..lol) , nothing like opening the van door in the morning and getting a face full of web.Yuk.
Daz

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fine pics JD

What is the spider ? It looks similar to the one that lives in the shed and won't let me get my tools out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Garden, Cross, Diadem or Orb web spider.... Araneus diadematus

Last year when I was herping, I walked between two gorse bushes and smack into a web. It's tough thick stuff that is hard to get off. When I found that the maker of the web (a ginormous brute) was trapped between my nose and web and wiggling like crazy, I must have caused so much fuss that some ramblers thought I was having a fit.

Last edited:

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
It's funny you should mention spiders, because today I was enjoying a walk in the sunshine next to a ploughed farmers field. I looked across the field with the sun shining on it and I noticed literally hundreds of spiders webs sparkling back at me as far as the eye could see. Now any other time you probably would not have seen them, but the sun just caught the webs at the right angle. It made me realize that there must be thousands of little spiders living in this field lying in wait for there next meal.:cool:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's funny you should mention spiders, because today I was enjoying a walk in the sunshine next to a ploughed farmers field. I looked across the field with the sun shining on it and I noticed literally hundreds of spiders webs sparkling back at me as far as the eye could see. Now any other time you probably would not have seen them, but the sun just caught the webs at the right angle. It made me realize that there must be thousands of little spiders living in this field lying in wait for there next meal.:cool:

Yeah, it's also the time of year when the spiderlings make flight threads and wait for a stiff breeze and take to the skies to spread their genes far and wide. Some fields can appear to be flooded with water due to so many webs rippling in the wind and being caught by the sun. An amazing sight.

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
we're surrounded by thousands of pheasants - they start shooting in a couple of weeks. Amazing how much they eat - precious few wandering insects in the fields.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i remember being a kid and knowing autumn was on the way as it was slighly chillier in the morning and i always got a face full of webs whilst doing my paper round :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE