Three Against the Wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
If you haven't already read this do yourselves a big favour and get hold of a copy (amazon currently have 2 in used condition for sale) quite possibly the best piece of non fiction I have ever read!

One of the most famous books about Canadian province British Columbia, Eric Collier's gripping Chilcotin memoir `Three Against the Wilderness' (1959) is a classic homesteading account. Born in Northampton, England in 1903, Eric married a girl of Indian descent, Lillian Ross, in 1928. Two years later, in spite of his wife's hip deformity due to a childhood accident, the couple took a wagon, three horses and their 18-month-old son Veasy, along with a tent, some provisions and $33, and reached the Stack Valley where they lived in an abandoned cabin. In a few years they relocated to Meldrum Creek, ten miles away, where they lived in a tent and built their own cabin. He and his wife Lillian had promised her 97-year-old grandmother, LaLa, to bring the beavers back to the area that she knew as a child before the white man came. Collier imported several pair of beaver, and raised the area's water table sufficiently to reinstate the beaver population. He encouraged more humane trapping methods and increasingly turned his hand to writing. In 1949 he was the first non-American to win Outdoor Life's Conservation Award and in the 1950s the staff at Outdoor Life encouraged him to consider writing a book about his experiences as a pioneering conservationist and trapper. Written by longhand and then transcribed onto his Remington typewriter, Collier's recollections of 26 years of family life and 'roughing it in the bush' for Three Against the Wilderness (1959) were a hit, and soon condensed by Reader's Digest and re-sold in at least seven translations around the world.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
You are gonna love it Greg, trust me. I would be glad to hear your thoughts maybe post back into this thread :) . I can undertand why John won't lend his copy I feel pretty much the same about mine ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Silverback said:
You are gonna love it Greg, trust me. I would be glad to hear your thoughts maybe post back into this thread :) . I can undertand why John won't lend his copy I feel pretty much the same about mine ;)

I will let you know mate!!:red:

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I'm seeing a new edition to be released May 1, 2007. There is hope for those that haven't got a copy. :)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978189489854/1894898540/Three-Against-the-Wilderness?ref=Search+Books%3a+'Three+Against+the+Wilderness'

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
BorderReiver said:
"Three Against The Wilderness"

Seems a shame to handicap a good book with a flawed title. :rolleyes: :p
It is only flawed if you interpret the word 'Against' in a negative sense. It has many positive meanings as in alongside, beside, touching, adjacent to and along with : Having read the book I would say that the author intended the title to be read in a positive sense as opposed to negative :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Silverback said:
It is only flawed if you interpret the word 'Against' in a negative sense. It has many positive meanings as in alongside, beside, touching, adjacent to and along with : Having read the book I would say that the author intended the title to be read in a positive sense as opposed to negative :)

Thanks for that,I'll have to read it now. :)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Just finished reading this book.

Bloomin' marvelous!

Highly recommended to one and all!

This one is going to be read many times and WILL NOT be loaned out to ANYONE!

Yeoman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE