Winter footwear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't invest in any high top boots. Buy what's comfortable and buy a pair of gaiters.
Mine zip up the backs, cover the whole laced front of my boots and come up to just under my knees.
Elastic edges which have lasted decades.
I've never had the back side zippers jam with snow & ice in weekly use.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Can they be worn with the trainer style shoes Paul B referred to?

I never had any gaiters. Lundhags, Redwings which were calf high, RM Williams ankle high.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Can they be worn with the trainer style shoes Paul B referred to?
You could look into what orienteerers or cross-country runners use for gaiters.
One example:

7182510.jpg

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Actually it was the "feels like" temperature that was 7 degrees colder than the actual temperature. Habit led me to call it windchill.

The feels like temperatures are proprietary measures meant to indicate the effects of wind. More scientific versus are the UTCI (Google it I can't remember what the initials stand for). It's generally considered to take into account what a suitably clothed individual would feel the temperature to be taking into account physiology, air temperature, relative humidity and a string of other factors.

I'm sure you'll know what it feels like to have a cold, wet day and the wind to pick up making your previously adequate clothing system feeling cold.

Windchill reporting has been ridiculed for being innaccurate but there seems to be an accepted view that increased wind affects the feel of the temperature. Even those wearing adequate clothing (although research indicates that most people are still wearing less than they perhaps should apparently).

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am brought up before they started being scientific!

Dress for the coldest temp you might encounter, then adjust it by removing something, or opening a zip/ unbutton. Pull up the woolen cap high over your ears ( you will look very funny!) , tricks like that.

Not many people in the cold Arctic talk much about windchill, degrees, humidity and such.
Very warm. Warm. Cold. Very cold. Can you please take the dog out tonight, I have a headache - cold.

Reactions: Herman30

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In Canada, reported windchill is an accurate measure of the rate of body heat loss from exposed skin.
You can predict how fast it should take for your ears to freeze to the point of permanent damage.
Of course one typical result is the onset of hypothermia and subsequent death.
Clearly, you need not be leaping about in sub-zero temperatures for that to happen.

I keep crapping on about get out of the wind, get out of the wind.
Shelter and clothing fabrics. Of course accidentally getting soaked is the killer.
John Hayward's hypothermia research at the University of Victoria is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment.
All of the Mustang brand commercial fishing and military survival equipment stands in the shoulders of
the student survivors. Ask them about the "Tank" and the 100m "Rose Bower."

I was out today. -5C, snow blowing hard from the south in a 30kph wind, gusting to 50+ kph.
I don't own a really well insulated leather shell coat. Wish I did.
Top selection here is Carhartt. The fabric is stiff enough to stand up on the floor.

Reactions: tiger stacker

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Exposed skin - yes.

I had to expose the finer parts of my anatomy many, many times. It is interesting how quickly you can ‘do your business’ when you know speed is essential if you want children one day!

Windchill or not!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
In Finland the weather reports never talk about the wind chill. Well they might mention it in the tv news weather report if the temperature is dropping to extreme lows (like -30C and colder) but normally not a word.

I have this online wind chill calculator: http://www.videung.se/cold_effects.htm
On the left meter you set the temperature, on the middle you set the wind in m/s and meter on the right show result in temperature with wind chill.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That measure isn't good it's outdated but apparently only one weather service actually uses an updated measure the UTCI for example. Apparently only the polish weather service use and publicise it.

Windchill is considered important by some weather services (American one for example) as an indicator for people about the serious risks of windchill and low temperatures on exposed skin. If you see the actual temperature and an overly low temperature for windchill it might make the general public more aware of the risks. Afterall it isn't you guys that it's probably aimed at. There's research that says the majority of people still aren't wearing adequate clothing for cold conditions. Having seen people out on a Saturday night in UK winter I can easily believe that.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can wear gaiters on anything. However having worn fell shoes on Lakeland hills in a few winters you don't actually need them. However the footwear system I used then isn't what I'm planning for Norway. For casual use I'm talking about town or on the bus from resort to town, on pavements for example. Whilst more snow there I reckon more compacted snow. If it's bad I've got hiking boots but tbh we're going to be skiing when out in the real snow in ski boots, or hiking boots and probably ski trousers if messing about in the snow. I hope there's an easy place to sledge at. Not looking for those km long prepared toboggan courses just a mess around area for families.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Absolutely not!

You can even wear flip flops, if you get those socks with a separate big toe compartment!
:)

It is only when you walk or play in loose snow it is nice not to have snow melting inside the footwear. Happens with high boots too, of course, depends on the depth of snow!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
For day to day casual dressed stuff I use musto Gore-Tex lined Chelsea boot, this is a really nice boot with smooth leather, I choose that over my usual brogue, smooth leather makes it quick to polish/wax

If I’m out and about walking I have a pair of lundhags, I’m very disappointed with those though, they were meant to be a lined boot but there was no way my foot was going into it, they put an extra wool inner sole and wool boot inside and upped the outer boot two sizes. The full thing simply doesn’t work due to the shape of the boot over the toes. I chucked away all the liners and just use the boot with Härkila expedition socks, works well enough.

One very good boot I bought if I’m getting into mud is a kamik boot, it’s like a muck boot but it’s 10mm neoprene, the rubber boot part locks your ankle right in place so you can cover miles without the fatigue associated with wellies. Also there is tons of room in the toe area so your toes stay warm without your foot sliding about and compromising fit or function. Also on snow ice and mud they have great traction.

So the lundhag was a let down but the kamik made up for it.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Summer I tend to wear a lighter boot - or some ‘off road type trainers’

In autumn, spring and in mild/moderate winter or when it’s wet I wear my scraps hiking boots (my preference is full leather)

If it’s properly cold and/or snowy I have a pair of sorels I brought in Canada that are fantastic - they are crud the rest of the year, to hot and not supportive enough for serious yomping.

The hiking boots I wear most but I do change shoes with the season/weather.

I have lower limb and foot mobility problems so shoes/boots is something I pay close attention to and I am happy to spend good money to be comfortable!

I absolutely hate wellies, always did, and following multiple surgeries I can’t even get them on anymore, which is good, worst footwear ever imo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE