what have you been foraging?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Today Fi and I had a stroll along the beach found some sea beet,samphire, a I phone which on the way to return it to the owner we picked some St Georges mushrooms and found a dead fox which was just about edible but we had nothing to carry it home in.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Been a while since I've updated this thread but I've been in contact with lots of wild food since! Sea bass, pouting, dogfish plus sea beat and sea lettuce from a trip to Cornwall, and from local haunts nettle, rosebay willowherb, silverweed and dandelion root, jack by the hedge, thistle root and ramson flowers. Plenty of trout too, finally got round to building a hot smoker. Hot smoked trout is fantastic!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Still early here. Most fruit shrubs are just done flowering so there will be a dozen different things to pick, starting about 6 weeks from now. Pick til you're bored.
I've repurposed several old gasser BBQ as smokers (ribs, chickens, corn, potatoes, etc.) with apple wood that everybody likes.

Would very much like to see how you set yours up. Mine require about 10 minutes with a pair of bolt cutters.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Too early for fruit here too, elderflowers have started coming out recently.

Nice! I've only used pear wood so far, from two attempts. My smoker is so simple you wouldn't need a pic, but I will try later. Essentially just a large steel cooking pot, chips in the bottom, piece of willow jammed accross high up to form a hanging bar, then I sit it on top of a pocket wood burner stove

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Clever trick, PRCM. Wasn't expecting field kit. Easy to imagine how well that works.
I can taste some trout, seasoned with some sort of fruit-wood smoke.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am off now to forage at my local coffee shop, Paperman's, for a bowl of Todays Special soup, a full fat Pepsi and a Doppio Espresso with a tiny dash of hot Soy milk.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Elderflowers here too. Some to dry for tisanes, but heads dipped in batter and quickly fried, and given a quick shake of sugar, make a really tasty pudding.

This past few days I have had…
wild strawberries,
pignuts,
lesser celandine,
wild onion bulbils,
bittercress,
dandelions,
dockens,
bistort,
chickweed,
sticky willie (aka cleavers?)
fat hen (very young, very tasty :) )
wood millet seeds,
pendulous rush seeds,
tea from blackcurrant, strawberry and raspberry leaves,
wild oregano,

I love this time of year :D

M

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Seeing although it's been so humid in Yorkshire recently, there was a good stock of oyster mushrooms in the local forest on Friday evening. It also felt like I was getting pelted by small green pine cone cores from the squirrels too.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Woohoo, got my first batch of blackberries today. Love them in jam, pies and made into syrups and flavoured vinegar. Looks like its going to be a good year for berries, the elders are already laden with a lot of fruit. Going to be a busy Autumn in the kitchen.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Scored a nice giant puffball on the way home from work on Tuesday. Just a little under football size. And a couple of birch boletus on my day off, I don't usually see them this early. Also a handful of wilding plums.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE