Veggies get a raw deal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit I don't use msg, it's not a commonplace ingredient here. Not saying it's not added to foods, but finding the stuff in supermarkets isn't normal, iimmc ?
We also have a lot of foods clearly labelled, "No msg", or "No added msg".

I thought it came from seaweed ? :dunno:

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I admit I don't use msg, it's not a commonplace ingredient here. Not saying it's not added to foods, but finding the stuff in supermarkets isn't normal, iimmc ?
We also have a lot of foods clearly labelled, "No msg", or "No added msg".

I thought it came from seaweed ? :dunno:

M

I think it is naturally occuring in many vegetables, including sea weed.

Msg has been victimised, it is totally harmless in normal doses.
I think you can buy it in its pure form, in the spice section. Knorr Aromat is another essential source of MSG.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is almost impossible to find it in UK supermarkets, even under the spices.
It can be bought from Amazon and some independent delicatessans though.
I was looking for it online before I posted, to check that I was correct, and I found a really interesting article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

Too long to copy and paste in, even though we try to encourage folks to post here rather than off site, but this one's both relevant and informative.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm very well aware of the presence of glutamate in many proteins of most life on earth and glutamate as an essential neurotransmitter.
I won't buy a jar of the monosodium _derivative_ as a food additive. It's easier for me to buy superior quality foods.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I'm very well aware of the presence of glutamate in many proteins of most life on earth and glutamate as an essential neurotransmitter.
I won't buy a jar of the monosodium _derivative_ as a food additive. It's easier for me to buy superior quality foods.

If you have a spice blend, powder or liquid, in your kitchen you are using MSG.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, I am not. I buy better quality food which doesn't need to be jacked-up with MSG.
When you buy your herbs and spices from reputable small companies, much of their popularity is
predicated on MSG-free. At least, several of those exist in Canada, 2 of which are in my village.
Your spiciness will vary.
By law in Canada, the contents must be revealed in order of concentration. Read the labels.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So you will be cutting Soy sauce, fish sauce, worcester sauce, anchovies, tomato, mushrooms, broccoli, peas, long braised meats etc. from your diet? Because they all,(and many more) contain glutamates.

If you shop carefully all of those are available without man made MSG, although naturally glutamtates are another thing.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think it is naturally occuring in many vegetables, including sea weed.

Msg has been victimised, it is totally harmless in normal doses.
I think you can buy it in its pure form, in the spice section. Knorr Aromat is another essential source of MSG.

Accent is a brand name here

accent_spice_blog.JPG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But msg has to be clearly labelled, or much like Robson Valley's, many of our spices clearly say, "no msg", "no artificial flavouring" or "no flavour enhancers".
It's a selling point.

That said, I've just checked a big back of party snacks and it clearly says, "Contains monosodium glutamate"….so you take your pick really. Food free from added msg, or occasional snack laced with it.
Or you can just add engevita instead :)
http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/marigold-engevita-with-b12-125g/35262/?ladid=uk

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But msg has to be clearly labelled, or much like Robson Valley's, many of our spices clearly say, "no msg", "no artificial flavouring" or "no flavour enhancers".
It's a selling point.

That said, I've just checked a big back of party snacks and it clearly says, "Contains monosodium glutamate"….so you take your pick really. Food free from added msg, or occasional snack laced with it.
http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/marigold-engevita-with-b12-125g/35262/?ladid=uk

M

Yes, it is a selling point.
Engevita seems to be containing MSG?

Another thing is that the manufacturer does not have to state the product has MSG in it.
E 620 to 625 are glutamates.
There are other names that can be used too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's a selling point.

M

Same here Toddy (except for the engevita) They have to list it if it's added. They don't have to list naturally occurring glutamates, although many do say voluntarily add the statement "contains naturally occurring glutamtes." it appears that most people here aren't afraid of the naturally occurring ones so that statement may be a selling point also.

Most of the sauces PDA1 listed above can be found without added MSG (I suppose engevita may be a substitute in those and I've just never noticed?) Most articles I've read indicate that any reactions to MSG are psychosomatic but I suppose that's logical too. Barbara used to get severe migraines and they did stop when she started avoiding it. That said, she started avoiding it about the same time she went through menopause so it's just as possible they were hormonally triggered.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
L-cystein is made from feathers. Human hair is much to valuable to be used for this purpose. Of course, it can be used, chemically speaking.

What I find worse is that many fats in processed food is made from rendered fat taken from self dead and putrefying livestock.
Kind of disgusting.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cysteine is a sulfur-containing amino acid, essential for sustaining the shaped of folded amino acid chains in both structural and functional proteins.
Glutamate, together with aspartate, are the two Group 3 amino acids with negatively charged carboxyl R groups, essential for charge balance in
functional proteins.

I suggest that as a correct reference , you should use Lehninger: Biochemistry. The most popular biochemistry text on earth.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, Im a meat eater, but am just about to chow down on baked gnocchi, loads of garlic, cherry tomatoes, olive oil,black olives, cheese, and yellow peppers.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
"If you shop carefully all of those are available without man made MSG, although naturally glutamates are another thing."
It matters not. Glutamates are glutamates, whether "natural" or added. The Parmasan cheese that we grate over our pasta dishes to improve their palatability is particularly high in glutamates. one other thing,put in atiny pich of glutamate and you need no salt, so your sodium intake reduces dramatically. Now Sodium ions are a proven danger. glutamates in the tiny qualtities in cooked foods are proven to have no danger. The alleged dangers are as stupid as the alleged dangers of using aluminium cooking utensils.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
"If you shop carefully all of those are available without man made MSG, although naturally glutamates are another thing."
It matters not. Glutamates are glutamates, whether "natural" or added. The Parmasan cheese that we grate over our pasta dishes to improve their palatability is particularly high in glutamates. one other thing,put in atiny pich of glutamate and you need no salt, so your sodium intake reduces dramatically. Now Sodium ions are a proven danger. glutamates in the tiny qualtities in cooked foods are proven to have no danger. The alleged dangers are as stupid as the alleged dangers of using aluminium cooking utensils.

Most manmade glutamates are ade by using yeast action, so a quite a natural process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE