Recommend me books for menfolks ? please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Just bought the first Cadfael omnibus, Blackhawk down, another one by barry unsworth, and the 100 year old man who dissapeared out the window....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Stevie ? it's worse than that, Wullie's a ned :sigh:

M
I might buy this years edition just to catch up. It's been a while. Dont tell me Wullie's ditched the dungarees for Low hanging jeans exposing his Calvin Klein's and a Notorious B.I.G Hoodie. :eek:

You'll be telling me PC Murdoch wears a stab vest and regularly uses pepper spray next.. ? :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What are you after? Entertainment or reference? I've bought a few titles over the past year or two that I would have been
absolutely pleased to get as gifts. I have maybe 2,000 titles in my library, there's always room for many more.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
:D

You itching to read too ? :D
I've already dropped hints about some of the titles folks have recommended :D

M

Books are just such bargains. Some clever person whose spent 2-3 years of their life producing a good book, and you can buy it for pennies on ebay.

The Lonesome Dove series is great. I'm not in to westerns but this was great, unforgettable characters, Gus McCrae! After that I tried the Sisters Brothers which was a good read too; dark and funny. I also loved 'The power of the dog' by Don Winslow (fantastic read with The Maffia, Mexican drug cartels, corrupt American officials, communist guerilla movements in central America, chinese arms dealers, the roman catholic church, great!! I'm on his sequel 'The Cartel' at the moment. And a funny one for those not easily offended 'The Second Coming' by John Niven, an easy read but a funny one! God sends 'JC' back to sort things out, he ends up on American X Factor...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
9780718183561_zpsru9twumd.jpg
9780718183547_zpsudcy1bzk.jpg

=
9780718183585_zpsxnrpnmaz.jpg

Last edited:

leon-1

As a bit of fun you could look at "The Dangerous Book For Boys"

On the military front "Sniper One"

Or

"A Snipers Conflict"

Both written by people who have been there and former friends / colleagues of mine.

I am also a fan of Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"

If you can get hold of it "The Cockleshell Heroes" by C E Lucas Phillips and H G Hasler, an excellent book and goes into greater depth than the film.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Lonesome Dove series is great...also loved 'The power of the dog' by Don Winslow..."

For readers who enjoy tales of the American west, cowboys and such, All the pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the plain by Cormac McCarthy. Beautifully written tales that can be read separately but it would be best to leave the third book until you've read the first two.

Folks who have read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, possibly the most horrendously violent tale I have ever read, the trilogy mentioned above features none the violence of that book, nor the bleakness of his other famous work, The Road.

I'm going to check out that Don Winslow book, thanks.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
For readers who enjoy tales of the American west, cowboys and such, All the pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the plain by Cormac McCarthy. Beautifully written tales that can be read separately but it would be best to leave the third book until you've read the first two.

Folks who have read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, possibly the most horrendously violent tale I have ever read, the trilogy mentioned above features none the violence of that book, nor the bleakness of his other famous work, The Road.

Love the road. Really brilliant prose. Didnt put it down. Got the trilogy, picked it up once, it didnt drag me in like the road. Will have to try it again.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Love the road. Really brilliant prose. Didnt put it down. Got the trilogy, picked it up once, it didnt drag me in like the road. Will have to try it again.

I think The Road is his most successful work and yet I reckon it is perhaps his weakest, so give trilogy a shot. Suttree or the Orchard Keeper are his best (IMO).

:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Education of a Wandering Man. It's an autobiography of Louis La'mour. It tells of his time growing up in the depression, his experiences in WWII, and on to becoming an author.

For that matter there are a number of biographical books that are quite good; including MARINE! the story of Lt. Gen. Lewis Burwell Puller (Chesty Puller) Also To Hell And Back, the story of Audie Murphy's WWII experiences.

Moving away from biographical works brings us to classic authors: Alistair Maclean, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, William Faulkner, et al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE