Blackberry Jam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
I noticed the blackberries seem to have come early this year, so I went out and picked a 1kg to make jam. I managed to forget how much the jam expands when it boils and had a bit of a near miss :) I managed to clean everything while the jam was still hot so managed to save the pan and the cooker ;)

2014-08-28 Blackberry Jam - Small.jpg

Saw a lot of elderberries while I was out, is it worth trying to make a jam out of them too? I'm definitely in a jam mood.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When do your blackberries usually come in? Ours were a month and a half ago.

Good job on the jam.

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
Normally I go out around the last week of August or first week of September out of habit. I didn't realize how early they'd come in this year so the usual places were no good but I found a shaded wood where the fruit wasn't quite as developed everywhere else. I'm in South London btw.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been making apple and rowan jelly this afternoon :)

Brambles/blackberries I'm usually still picking in October.

I realised before my jelly got to the stage your jam did that my pot was too wee; had to burrow into the shed to find the enormous stew pot I use for group camps. Weird smell of woodsmoke and jelly in the kitchen :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE