Chinese multi fuel quick review (coleman copy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Got myself one of these which arrived today,had a quick play with it. On first inspection, theres only one jet,a multi jet for all fuels. My first thought was "oh here we go, problem already". Its described as a muti fuel gasoline stove so i tried with kero. Straight out the box i filled the tank with .45 ltrs of kero, give it 20 pumps, let a bit of kero out to soak into the wadding at the base of the burner and lit it with a match. A bit sooty as you may expect whilst priming/pre heating, after a minute or so slowly opened the valve. The stove kicked off with a roar, producing a fierce blue lame, quickly burning off the soot. I filled a stainless T pot with 750mils of water, room temp which is quite warm today,placed it on the burner and started timing. 4 minutes exactly to a rolling boil. A bit slower than than the chinese booster stove but a bit quieter and less fiddly, it burns for 3 hours on a full tank,more than enough for a weekend camp imho.
it comes with its own handy carry case and multi tool and for me, for £36 delivered to your door, a great bargain and a great little stove. Well impressed.

ygeresy4.jpg

egy2u3ar.jpg

3y5e7ape.jpg

ajydu5ev.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds alright Gray and looks well made. Out of interest can you get spares for it? General maintenance stuff like generator tubes and pump washers. Can be the only problem with some stoves from abroad is that the consumables aren't available over here. (Though some might say at that price not a problem - but I like to tinker and fettle :)).

Cheers for posting,
GB.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Sounds alright Gray and looks well made. Out of interest can you get spares for it? General maintenance stuff like generator tubes and pump washers. Can be the only problem with some stoves from abroad is that the consumables aren't available over here. (Though some might say at that price not a problem - but I like to tinker and fettle :)).

Cheers for posting,
GB.
In a word.....no. Just spent the last half hour searching for spares but none to be found. Rik did warn me of this but thought it was worth a punt. If anyone else knows where to get bits for these I'd be really greatful.

Just found out its called a BRS 12 and its issued to U.S military (allegedly) under a different name. Gives me something else to research

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've had one of these stoves for about 3 years now. It hasn't had a massive amount of use, but it has been great. I just run it on standard unleaded. One thing to watch out for - be very careful when you remove the fuel cap - there aren't any grooves cut into the thread to lead the pressure out slowly prior to it being fully unscrewed (unlike a coleman etc), and can come flying off with a bang and a huge amount of force. Cover it fully very very firmly with your hand and unscrew at a glacial rate.

Who knows, they may have rectified this problem with newer models, but I suspect not.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
I've had one of these stoves for about 3 years now. It hasn't had a massive amount of use, but it has been great. I just run it on standard unleaded. One thing to watch out for - be very careful when you remove the fuel cap - there aren't any grooves cut into the thread to lead the pressure out slowly prior to it being fully unscrewed (unlike a coleman etc), and can come flying off with a bang and a huge amount of force. Cover it fully very very firmly with your hand and unscrew at a glacial rate.

Who knows, they may have rectified this problem with newer models, but I suspect not.

Cheers, I'll go and have a look

Ok, as soon as I turned the cap1/2 turn, it hissed and out it came. No spills or spitting fuel, just pressure release.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Got myself one of these which arrived today ...

Thanks very much for that Gray, a really useful review. I'm impressed that it's truly multi-fuel and at that price it's a bargain. If you stick to paraffin I can't see that you'll ever need to replace the generator. The pump seals should be easy to find or make. Is it a leather washer in the main pump body? You can get them for peanuts on eBay from a guy in Turkey.

I've had one of these stoves for about 3 years now. It hasn't had a massive amount of use, but it has been great. I just run it on standard unleaded. One thing to watch out for - be very careful when you remove the fuel cap - there aren't any grooves cut into the thread to lead the pressure out slowly prior to it being fully unscrewed (unlike a coleman etc), and can come flying off with a bang and a huge amount of force. Cover it fully very very firmly with your hand and unscrew at a glacial rate. ...

That's very useful too, thanks Nick. Is the curious brass fitting at the cool end of the generator with little apparent function a safety valve?

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Thanks very much for that Gray, a really useful review. I'm impressed that it's truly multi-fuel and at that price it's a bargain. If you stick to paraffin I can't see that you'll ever need to replace the generator. The pump seals should be easy to find or make. Is it a leather washer in the main pump body? You can get them for peanuts on eBay from a guy in Turkey.

QUOTE=The Lord Poncho;1353907]I've had one of these stoves for about 3 years now. It hasn't had a massive amount of use, but it has been great. I just run it on standard unleaded. One thing to watch out for - be very careful when you remove the fuel cap - there aren't any grooves cut into the thread to lead the pressure out slowly prior to it being fully unscrewed (unlike a coleman etc), and can come flying off with a bang and a huge amount of force. Cover it fully very very firmly with your hand and unscrew at a glacial rate. ...

That's very useful too, thanks Nick. Is the curious brass fitting at the cool end of the generator with little apparent function a safety valve?[/QUOTE]

The little connection is a blank, i think if you use the stainless pipe off the booster stove made by BRS you can connect a gas cylinder to it. I read somewhere that it burns gas, i thought it meant gasoline but when i looked again it mentions propane. You dont actually get the adapter with the stove though. I have got one so I'll have a play with it. Watch out for the the big blue flash and the loud bang lol

I've recently been gifted 5 gallons of kero so thats what its getting, should last me a while.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE