Learnt a bad lesson today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Good luck indeed.

It does appear from what you have told us that they have over reached.

And the length of the blade is of no bearing on the matter, unless the knife is a slip jointed folder.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I had the pleasure to teach a serving Inspector in the local Constabulary not that long ago, he gave me a bit of good advice, carry a half finished spoon or other bit of whittling in your bag, that way, the tools are required for your hobby and therefore you have a perfectly good and valid reason to be carrying them.

I was also told a while ago that if a knife can be legally sold in the UK then it can legally owned.

Hope all goes well for you

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
" I feel my officers are acting completely within the law and would of had due cause to stop you and if warranted remove the said items from you at the given time however I am open to hearing your complaint and invite you to visit the station at a mutually acceptable time "

A chief constable with a poor command of the English language obviously. Legally speaking that is poorly written and vague.

surely his officers 'have' acted not 'are' acting and 'had' due cause rather than would have. Police dont need to demonstrate due cause, they need to demonstrate reasonable grounds.

something not right with that reply

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
What was your demeanour when approached? Did you feel guilty and act guilty even though you shouldn't have been made to feel like that

To be honest yes I was nervous as part of me was aware that I was walking the streets with what could be misconstrued as a weapon
Even if I've never regarded them to be one

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
The gross stupidity of the police action is demonstrated by the fact that they had no problem in returning the axe to you - potentially a truly lethal weapon.

There can't be many laws where the police can effectively fine individuals hundreds of pounds for doing something that is not threatening or harming anyone and where that individual is not acting, or planning to act, illegally. I'm sure we all agree that the problem of knife crime needs to be addressed, but current legislation seems to be half-arsed at best!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Call me pessimistic but I'm thinking picking him up on grammar and wording may not go in my favor as I'm going to try the nicely nicely approach

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Not posted on the fourm for a while with exams and moving house going on but this has bothered me a bit.
I usually carve in the gardens outside university in the centre of Leeds and I've never been stopped or questioned about it. just the smaller finishing bits with a few folders and a crook knife, might start carrying cheaper knifes I'm not as attached to.

I really thought carrying tools for carving and bushcraft had become more accepted by the law after seeing a few things in papers about it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
To be honest yes I was nervous as part of me was aware that I was walking the streets with what could be misconstrued as a weapon
Even if I've never regarded them to be one

They picked up on that. This is the product of social conditioning and it p****s me off that a decent, well meaning chap is made to feel like a criminal.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's no earthly reason for the police to have taken the action they have taken. Get a solicitor, Citizens Advice will provide you with help if you can't pay for one, and don't go alone to the interview. From what you describe of this incident, the police have no grounds whatsoever to keep your knife and certainly no reason to destroy it. You are in a very much stronger position than many here seem to think - you have done nothing wrong! so fight them and demand your rights, not request them! If I were in your position I'd leave absolutely no stone unturned to get this sorted in your favour, and be sure to get any warning removed from the record.
The behaviour of the police in all this is not only wrong but inexcusable...........this sort of thing makes me fume with anger........they've succeeded in getting you on the back foot already and you needn't be - you are in the right, so make 'em swallow it!

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Call me pessimistic but I'm thinking picking him up on grammar and wording may not go in my favor as I'm going to try the nicely nicely approach

I fear the nicely nicely approach will not get as far as the legally informed one.

If this went down exactly the way you are portraying it then this is a potentially embarrassing situation for the Chief Con. and he will be keen to resolve it in a way that saves face for both him and his officers.

If that involves intimidating you further than you already are to ensure you are doubtful about taking this further I am pretty confident they will play that card.

Last edited:

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I always feel uneasy where the police are judge, jury and executioner as they seem to be here. The decision on whether you have a legitimate reason or not for carrying the knife depends on the police officer's interpretation of the circumstances. With another officer the outcome might have been entirely different. I always thought our laws had to be completely transparent. Black & white, not shades of grey depending on a police officer's point of view, mood or prejudices. It should be completely clear to an individual whether he/she is breaking the law or not.

I know that, in theory, the Chief Constable can reverse the decision, but he can hardly be viewed as being impartial can he?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I always thought our laws had to be completely transparent. Black & white, not shades of grey depending on a police officer's point of view, mood or prejudices. It should be completely clear to an individual whether he/she is breaking the law or not.

Then there would be no lawyers, law has to be interpreted as there are to many variables for laying down statute.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Definitely do NOT nitpick the grammar. Stay professional, or better yet, take a professional (a solicitor)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I always bear in mind that you don't need a very high level of education to be a PC.

Increasingly over here, many departments are requiring at least two years of university level education. Almost universally for departments at the state level. Federal level requires four years.

Biker

I felt physically sick reading this thread and I admit I've skipped a lot of the postings but did read several. Can't offer any sagely advice other than good luck and fight this case with as much legal means as possible as VANDEEN says above. Police like to see legal stuff presented, it gves them more paperwork. Sorry it happened to you brother.

All the best for a happy ending.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE