All Things Wooden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The recent arctic powder snow and wind leading to huge drifts is something I have never encountered in my life before, never seen it.

As chance would have it Ray Mears was on T.V. plodding around in the arctic, and Ray being Ray got himself another pair of shoes of someone.
These where snowshoes, handcrafted by a genius from wood and hide. I did a quick search here, but to no avail.

This got me thinking about how to make a pair from wood. Alot of other posts also have had a leaning towards manufacturing items from wood (Roycroft pack), and I would love to know things people can manufacture quickly and simply from wood and bark, or other easy to hand materials.

For example,

traps
snairs
carrying devices
snowshoes
fire aperatus

I know there are wood shelters and canoes, but things like this are complicated, time consuming, and take a while to master, and alot of effort. Someone like me is highly unlikely to ever need one. But if I where out on the Isle of man last week,snowshoes would have been handy!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For my rawhide I just buy big dog chews :)
Soak them well, unwrap them and then spiral cut the rawhide while it is in the "supple but not slimey" state and there you have it - babbiche/rimpee/rawhide thonging ('scuse the spelling on those North American and South African terms):)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
For my rawhide I just buy big dog chews :)
Soak them well, unwrap them and then spiral cut the rawhide while it is in the "supple but not slimey" state and there you have it - babbiche/rimpee/rawhide thonging ('scuse the spelling on those North American and South African terms):)

Im in to testing different chew bone types at the moment. Some of them are to prosessed to work, and some are to thin. But I got my handso on a piece of untanned moose skin. And that will probably be the most authentic anyway.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
thanks all, the snowshoes do look a good one, quick 'n easy, suppose good for mudflats, thin ice too!

One I have tried to make before with no sucess is a rock face water collector. If you have water running down a rockface, before you can bottle it you would need to funnell it from the face. I tried very unsucessfully to use a tree branch leaves an all, to try and use the natural form of the forks to gather the water to one point. Any ideas?

And also as bad as this may sound, farmers often skin a dead calf ,lamb or foal and dress an orphan infant in the skin, to try and develop a fostering bond between mother an offspring. Not expert advice, but an idea.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
One I have tried to make before with no sucess is a rock face water collector. If you have water running down a rockface, before you can bottle it you would need to funnell it from the face. I tried very unsucessfully to use a tree branch leaves an all, to try and use the natural form of the forks to gather the water to one point. Any ideas?

Try using a piece of rope/string to wick the water off to a container. The cord could be self made.

Rob.

Just found this:- technique at around 07:40

[video=youtube;P8V5nANXXMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=P8V5nANXXMU[/video]

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'll br rude and try and drop this to the top of the stack again.

I have seen chairs made by people using a piece of material. BCUK Member "Hog an Ice" made one with 2 pieces of wood I remember. Looks quick.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Berry picker
th

Different sort of berry picker

th

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE