oil bottle with brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Can anyone tell me where i can find a small oil bottle with a brush in, similar to hat is used in this video?

[video=youtube;xd4ONXjFfco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xd4ONXjFfco#t=81s[/video]

I've tried various search terms on ebay and amazon but they seem to come up empty. :(

Also looking for a small wooden strop stick/board as i cba making my own.

The item you're looking for is Napier Gun Oil which used to be available in a bottle with 2 lids, one housing the brush, the other a spout.

I've just done a quick search on google and cannot find a supplier, even Napier don't list it.

It appears that www.mccloyguns.com used to stock it (Model CLO10004) but they now show it as out of stock - may be worth giving them a call?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Thats an sa80 oil bottle as supplied in the 80s/90s kits. There is one on ebay,search sa80 cleaning kit. It was replaced in the new kit with a pump bottle. Worth trying a few army surplus stalls/stores.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Lister...try your search in a local gun store to find a small bottle with oil and brush...or even a surplus store that might have weapons maint. items...i shoot .303 Enfields and have the little brass/bakelite oil bottles that carry oil for the weapon...perfect for your ax use...should be easy to find in the U.K. as they were still used for the SLR cleaning kit, maybe even the SA80 aswell...vince g. 11B INF...

keithg

Jun 27, 2007
Aldridge, West Midlands
Amazing the info you find on here - love the 'match pot' suggestion! Regarding the strop, you could try Longstrider (www.longstrider.co.uk) who I found from forum recommendation (no association - just satisfied customer). When I bought one, he also made a small size that was ideal for taking out in the field. It's not mentioned on his website, so may be worth a call if you're interested.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The incredible range of the conversations on here is fascinating :D
A large part of that, I'm sure, is simply the incredible variety of interests that the members have, and are willing to share information about. They're a helpful bunch :approve: the kind of folks I'd happily put the kettle on for and find the biscuit tin.

Come to think on it; that's how I ended up here in the first place :) I followed a link to something while googling and found a comfortable seat around the virtual fire :D

And, on that note, and back to the thread....I've just had a thought about a nail polish bottle that's nearly empty, and might do very well as a wee oil bottle, with a brush, that won't leak :) It should clean out fine with some thinners.

cheers,
M

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
The thin rod in the brass bottle is known as a 'feather' because that is what was used in olden times to convey the oil to the parts of the gun that needed the tiniest of drops.

I still prefer to use one. Find a decent feather and strip off the barbs from the rachis (the feathery bits from the stem) to leave a small pointed diamond shape on the tip some five millimetres long by three wide. This is ideal for fine application. Dip in oil and it holds just enough and the fine tip lets you touch it exactly where it is needed and does not transfer too much. Just like a very small paint brush really.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No worries,

Bill's tool store in Glasgow used to (and still may) sell them for a couple of quid. Handy wee things.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
If your going to put that much oil in your axe store it head down as the excess will run off, I do this with my guns so the excess oil runs down the barrels onto a pad in the bottom of the cabinet rather than into the action and down the wood. Not that I over oil them but the do lye in storage more than they are out shooting!

N

Nomad

Anyone know the capacity of these SA80 oil bottles? Would help to know how much gun oil needs to be ordered to get a decent fill.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Anyone know the capacity of these SA80 oil bottles? Would help to know how much gun oil needs to be ordered to get a decent fill.

I have two sat in front of me right now but they both have oil in, finger in the air job I'd say around 100-120ml

N

Nomad

Thanks Rich. Sounds like a 125ml bottle of Napier's gun oil should fit nicely.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
This is the Army oil bottle from 1990’s onwards previously only used for the GPMG weapon. The 1980’s SA80 oil bottle used to split at the seam so in the 90’s the GPMG oil bottle was its replacement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE