Papua New Guinea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
A quick turn around after getting back from Greenland this Summer saw me 2 weeks after begin my journey out to Papua New Guinea (PNG).
6 weeks spent working and travelling around the River systems and jungle of the Southern Highlands and Gulf provinces of PNG.
The wildlife and scenery is fantastic the large River systems that it would be tempting to compare to other SE Asian jungle are another level.
Most things are fair game for the Melanesian villages making the wildlife difficult to capture in photographs. He's a small set mainly from Lake Kutubu following the Kikori River to the coast. This can be a difficult country to travel around and my thought are with the families of the 38 young people killed in the last weeks air crash.

483a0e9b.jpg

1b631bcc.jpg

28c20b96.jpg

99dd2043.jpg

8dcda910.jpg

7b3c89b6.jpg

5238091e.jpg

78735a55.jpg

74921d22.jpg

f6abf9da.jpg

5f28de5b.jpg

5553eae4.jpg

9c0ddb4d.jpg

3e9ce377.jpg

6e1e7767.jpg

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Now thats one country i would love too see !!! How are you finding the locals ?? What is it you do for a living ??? :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D really, and thanks for sharing :cool:

Makes me wonder what a tree covered British Isles looked like before we stripped the canopy bare.

cheers,
M

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
SWMBO, who has a thing about butterflies and moths, just declared PNG off limits after seeing your pics. Fantastic looking place. Thanks for sharing!

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Hi Ash. Got back today. Not been at home really since June so loads of admin to catch up with but i will try and have a look and get a few more pics loaded up when i have a few spare mins.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Great pics!
Are you home for long mate - coming to any mets?

not sure yet John. Only just got back but off on a course for work next week and really need to get away again straight after. Trying to recoup some funds after my wedding and nearly 2 months in NZ and San fran. I'll make any meet if i'm in country and hopefully will make the knapping

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
hI WILL ,How did you get along with the locals ??? Any scary moments ?? The travel blogs i,ve read ,mention a lot of tribal fights and gun crime !! did you witness any trouble ??

nice pics :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
not sure yet John. Only just got back but off on a course for work next week and really need to get away again straight after. Trying to recoup some funds after my wedding and nearly 2 months in NZ and San fran. I'll make any meet if i'm in country and hopefully will make the knapping
You are much missed buddy!
But have fun whatever you are up to :)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
To be honest i think the Ozzys over egg it a bit. The most dangerous places are the cities (Port Moresby not very pleasant) but if you have travelled in developed countries its no great shakes (places to avoid, minimal trip out in urban area after dark, not looking like a tourist etc). I never had any problem with the Menasians. It very similar to parts of West Africa but unlike in the Niger Delta i never saw anyone openenly carrying or firing of weapons (apparently the favoured tool is the machete (a bolo type shape one) where they wait in door ways to get you) and found the local people up the rivers friendly and welcoming. The wan tok system is interesting and leads to a lot of the corruption issues they have. The only aggressive behaviour arose from when the Kikori village had not been paid (the money form any mineral exploration is paid to the tribes that the land belongs to (very little public land) but it is done so through the government which often is late; the village blocked off the river with the dugouts. We got though as the oil company hadn't paid us and 'we were very angry with them too'.

Great place and I'm sure i will go back, would like to spend some time on the other side also

More worrying were the crocs, river and bull sharks. Two girls were eaten a week before we got there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE