The Man himself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have just watched the last 30 so minuets of Bear Grylls where he is in Vietnam. Wow this guy is mint he has just eaten a scorpion which he cooked? over an open flame for about 30-45 seconds (he cut the poison end off). Then when going through a rail tunnel he came across a large frog and without grace smacked it against the wall then eat some of the meat from the legs I guess. All this was with in 5 mins of being picked up by heli and taken back to civilisation. Well tell me I'm not alone what an absolute pile of S*it, I have never been a fan and now after seeing this trumped up tv crap he will never enter my list. People should not watch this as it gives the wrong impression to anyone who finds themselves waiting for the plane or chopper. Crazy Fool..................

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep he's a douche bag.

Killing, mutilating and eating everything in sight is not cool. It's crap aimed at Americans and kids who want to play Rambo.

The sad thing is, he's actually capable of impressive feats of endurance and skill but chooses to sell out and make a tit of himself.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
a think he should market his programmes more to today`s `survival` situations !! Running out of the train tunnel with a length of copper cable is more like it !!!:lmao::lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's all about the money. He's using his specific talents to earn what he can, when he can. There's no reason to castigate the man for doing what thousands of others in showbiz are doing - entertaining people! He's not doing bushcraft, never has. He does survival stuff and that's a whole 'nother ball game.
I don't watch his shows because what he does doesn't impress me, but he's an astute business man making a living.

Eric

flicked it on yesterday to see him rappelling into a survival situation and he said its how the miltary enter places- i turned it off.

BOD

It's all about the money. He's using his specific talents to earn what he can, when he can. There's no reason to castigate the man for doing what thousands of others in showbiz are doing - entertaining people! He's not doing bushcraft, never has. He does survival stuff and that's a whole 'nother ball game.
I don't watch his shows because what he does doesn't impress me, but he's an astute business man making a living.

Eric

Yup many other people and companies are selling worthless services and goods. Bear is much more fun. Showing people what not to do is a better way of learning than what you should do.

Even my 8 year old worked out that he did a lot of silly things that he should not ever do

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
i must say i do enjoy these bear threads, the game for me these days is; who is gonna lose the plot and get their knickers in a twist :cussing::rant:

for my part - born surviver/bear is just sensationalist tv that is just a ''bit'' detached from what is conducted here and with a massive bias to the american public.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Err Why shouldn't he made programmes for the US market when its the US networks who commission them from him?

This guy has done stuff most of us can only dream about.
You really need to separate his showmanship & poor TV shows from the man himself
Give him some credit for what he's achieved.
Personally attacking him is a poor show, however criticising his TV programmes is whole other kettle of fish

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I havn't had a tv in 5 months and I can't say I care at all anymore about people like him. I follow Ray & co sometimes and the oldies like Les Hiddins, but I'm not obsessed or mad with any of them. Got some books, seen some of the older programmes - end of.

Mang

Settler
Really? We didn't make him King of the Boy Scouts did we?

Whatever anyone thinks of his TV work, I believe his work with the Scouts should be judged as a separate entity. Personally, as a UK leader, I'm pleased he's giving his time for nothing to be our Chief. As for his programmes, I'd assumed that it was tilted towards the US market because he uses words like trash and elevator in the programmes.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Gurny.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Bears a good bloke who does a lot for others for no gain. ( unlike certain tv personalities favoured on the forum) He does tons of charity work, motivational speaking and world record attempts ( he's held about 4 or 5 iirc)

He doesn't decide what he does on his shows, that would be the producer, he just gets paid to carry those instructions out. How familiar is that to most of us? How many get paid for the job that we do because it needs doing, not because we particularly want to do it?

His shows are entertainment, nothing more. Folk who watch it, do so because of all the mad things he does, thats why its popular. Do you really think he would be doing it if he wasn't getting paid? Do you think he does it outside of the show? No, i bet he doesn't. We know what Bear likes to do in his own time, paraglide over everest, cross the atlantic in an inflatable boat, climb everest etc, give motivational speeches, taking lead role in the scouts etc, most of which was done for the benefit of others. He just got the thrill of doing it out of it.

I don't think he does bad for the son of a politician. :)

There is so much about Bear that is admirable, you just have to look further than "man vs wild"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE