Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCUK Canadian Canoe Expedition 12th May - 21st May 2014

Oh wow I've just seen this. Let me ponder it for a while.

look forward to seeing your name on that list mate!
    Travel - As much as you can, as far as you can and as long as you can! life's not meant to be lived in one place

I'm in and deposit paid.
    Get your name down folks and contact the office. This is a bargin and an amazing trip.
    Woody and co really know their stuff, and I can back that up after going to Norway with them in 2007.

1) Bushcraftsman
    2) Briantrubshaw
    3) hertsboy
    4) Imagedude
    5) TedW
    6) DaveyM (maybe)
    7) Addo
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)

-- MINIMUM --

13)
    14)
    15)
    16)

Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1. Addo
    2. TedW
    Last edited by Becky; 25-03-2013 at 08:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcraftsman View Post
    Why didn't the 2012 one go ahead? Not enough people?
    Actually 3 guys did come over last year after the BCUK trip tanked. There was a hurricane so we moved the trip inland a few hundred kilometers and had two solid weeks of sun, fishing and paddling.
    Lloyd
    It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. R Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by hertsboy View Post
    correct - not enough people for the 2012 one. Flights were around the 600 mark return from UK to Nova Scotia
    that's a big shame, no way could I justify that just on a flight, I can get too Malaysia for less than that.

Just wondering, has one of these expensive courses/trips , ever actually taken place? Only it may be me being thick, but i can't find history of one!

Ivan...

Anyone? It does appear, that if you ask an awkward question on here, you do not get an answer!

Ivan...

This sounds very interesting! Question though:

I live in the region (NS, by the time this trip happens I may have moved to Newfoundland). If I were to do this I would probably drive there, and I would be able to bring my own canoe and canoe equipment. Since I wouldn't need to rent a canoe or equipment, and can transport my own, would the price be different?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan... View Post
    Anyone? It does appear, that if you ask an awkward question on here, you do not get an answer!

Ivan...

So because your question didn't get answered in less that 90 minutes you think that? How on earth is it an awkward question.... It's much more a case of we're busy people.

They're not expensive in comparison to other expeditions and for what you get, compared to camping for a week in the UK, yes they are.

We've had some arctic expeds and UK courses run through offering these to the Members of BCUK, I think we've offered the canoeing once before and it didn't happen. That's the nature of doing things this way, the opportunity is there and we're planning for a fair bit in the future with the timing of things.
    Tone
    Explore : Discover : Achieve
    The most important thing is not 'who's right' but rather 'what's right'

2017 BushMoot 31st July - 12th August 2017

Visit our pages and Sites : : Facebook : : Pinterest : : BushMoot : : Twitter @BCraftUK

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The MAX View Post
    This sounds very interesting! Question though:

I live in the region (NS, by the time this trip happens I may have moved to Newfoundland). If I were to do this I would probably drive there, and I would be able to bring my own canoe and canoe equipment. Since I wouldn't need to rent a canoe or equipment, and can transport my own, would the price be different?

Thanks
    Beautiful place to live, I used to live in Dartmouth & Liverpool NS and I lived in NF (cornerbrook), my favourite of the lot so i'm a little envious

I'll find out an answer to this one or you, thanks for your patience
    Tone
    Explore : Discover : Achieve
    The most important thing is not 'who's right' but rather 'what's right'

2017 BushMoot 31st July - 12th August 2017

Visit our pages and Sites : : Facebook : : Pinterest : : BushMoot : : Twitter @BCraftUK

Just to support Tony's reply, I did the BCUK Advanced Arctic trip with Woody and co. It was excellent and a real bargain; I'm sure the canoeing trip will be the same and I've signed up for it. Just hope it will go ahead.

It's true that many of these trips don't go ahead. Not Tony's or Woody's fault, it's the BCUK membership that, unfortunately, don't take up these bargain opportunities. If you want them to happen, sign up - nothing to lose as you'll get your deposit back if the trip is cancelled.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

Whilst Bushcraft Expeditions are a competitor of mine. We both run bushcraft trips and canoeing etc. I think anyone booking on this trip would have a fantastic time and learn loads from very knowledgeable people. I have heard nothing but praise for Woody's trips.

Bushcraft Expeditions is a well respected member of the bushcraft community. The price for he trip is very competitive and I don't think I would be able to offer it that.

Generally the price is queried by people who have no idea the amount of effort it takes to run a professional expedition that ensures every client has a fantastic time and returns home with wonderful memories.

Well said, Wayne!
    "Don't dream it, be it"

I am definitely maybe on this one. Wont know if i can wangle it until closer to the time though. Will really try. Looks like it will be amazing.
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Good one Dave, do your best. It will be an excellent trip

Bump time!
    "Don't dream it, be it"

Still interested in this. I did move back to Newfoundland, but I'm holding out a last minute discount for locals providing own transport and canoe

1) Bushcraftsman
    2) Briantrubshaw
    3) hertsboy
    4) Imagedude
    5) TedW
    6) DaveyM (maybe)
    7) elliott92 (will pay my deposit in a couple of weeks if thats okay please)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)

-- MINIMUM --

13)
    14)
    15)
    16)

Bump time - just 5 more needed!
    "Don't dream it, be it"

bump, not filled yet, amazing, if I was financially and physically fit enough me name would be on that list, bargain, maybe next year for me,

Regards,
    ship

I watch these closely, flight ok! then I add on all the kit its a sort of maybe?!, but then I look
    at the success rate? so I put a deposit down, go out and start building up my kit for that particular environment so I don't
    look like a numpty when im there and not scurrying round like a borrower!
    Ive just done my ******** on a trip that is not going to happen and its then about Ebay!! and the obvious
    downer of looking like a mug to you friends and family when you shrug and say "aint happening is it"
    Its all great for the guys that can just whack a deposit down and buy kit at the last minute when its got the
    green light, but unfortunately for most of us mortals it does not work like that.
    I appreciate you would be taking a risk saying "OK ITS GOING WHATEVER" but what do you think your asking
    your clients todo? a washout trip would have more of a financial impact on us as individuals than you
    as an organiser. You have to work a week for free, we have just done our years vacation money on stuff we don't need
    and booked time off work!
    do you get where im coming from here?
    Do you think if you took a risk and set it in stone it would be vastly more likely to go ahead? I do!
    But if your not prepared to take a risk why should I?
    this is with all due respect and its just a personal observation and frankly what currantly turns me off
    with your trips.
    Last edited by dump of the stig; 15-01-2014 at 03:14.

Well I'm still up for it, who else is? Only a month to get that deposit in folks.

Stig, It is great that I can "just whack a deposit down" as I had litterally years to save up for it due to the very reasonable amount of time given by the organisers. I also did not have to buy a single bit of kit for the trip as I had all the basic camping kit ten years ago when I got into bushcraft and a furthur fifteen years ago before that camping out as a teenager. The rest is provided for you. If I did have to buy kit and it didn't go ahead, then I could go bushcrafting in the uk for free couldn't I ?
    Dont worry about looking like a numpty, as long as your warm, dry and comfy theres no issue. Get ex militery kit its cheap and works.

I'm willing to take a risk on it even though money is really tight at home as I simply want to go, and the price is right.

Default Canadian canoe expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by dump of the stig View Post
    I watch these closely, flight ok! then I add on all the kit its a sort of maybe?!, but then I look
    at the success rate? so I put a deposit down, go out and start building up my kit for that particular environment so I don't
    look like a numpty when im there and not scurrying round like a borrower!
    Ive just done my ******** on a trip that is not going to happen and its then about Ebay!! and the obvious
    downer of looking like a mug to you friends and family when you shrug and say "aint happening is it"
    Its all great for the guys that can just whack a deposit down and buy kit at the last minute when its got the
    green light, but unfortunately for most of us mortals it does not work like that.
    I appreciate you would be taking a risk saying "OK ITS GOING WHATEVER" but what do you think your asking
    your clients todo? a washout trip would have more of a financial impact on us as individuals than you
    as an organiser. You have to work a week for free, we have just done our years vacation money on stuff we don't need
    and booked time off work!
    do you get where im coming from here?
    Do you think if you took a risk and set it in stone it would be vastly more likely to go ahead? I do!
    But if your not prepared to take a risk why should I?
    this is with all due respect and its just a personal observation and frankly what currantly turns me off
    with your trips.
    Hey Stig!

Thanks for your post and excuse me for not explaining why I cant take that risk. Its all very long winded and wouldnt be very professional of me to do so. I hope you understand.

In light of your comments i have researched a few other canoe trips you may be interested in (see links below) which I should think have a better chance of running. (be aware though, I would advise reading their terms and conditions in detail, I think you will find they all work a minimum numbers policy or a variation on the theme. Its standard business practice these days. I would also read up on their cancellation policy ... I may be wrong, but I dont think you will get a 100% refund if they do cancel for this reason).

Any way, I hope you find one that works for you.

Best wishes

Woody.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Co...d-Becky-Mason/

http://www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/afy/overview

http://www.grandamericanadventures.c...ada-yukon.html

Dear All
    We regret to say that the above expedition is cancelled due to insufficient numbers. I will email you regarding your refund.
    Regards
    Becky

Very disappointing, but not surprising, unfortunately. Thanks, anyway, Woody and team.

Wonder if there's any chance of the Jungle exped going ahead? Dream on!
    "Don't dream it, be it"

A real shame
    It would have been a top quality trip at a really good price, and there seemed to be plenty of interest early on.
    Recon I'll get my open canoe training on the local river with a club, then plan my own exped to Sweden.

I have done half a dozen canoe trips for UK clients and many for locals and have never had one cancelled. I simply restructure the trip to fit the needs of the group if someone drops out. Of course I have extremely low overhead, minimal profit, and almost no staff.
    Lloyd
    It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. R Feynman

I wouldn't mind doing a UK cannoe trip where abouts do you go?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12