Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Powder now that 'Mycil' powder unavailable

Default Foot Powder now that 'Mycil' powder unavailable

Hi All,

Given that the likes of 'Mycil' anti-fungal Talcum POWDER has been removed from shelves, what have you, or the military, found to be an acceptable proprietary foot POWDER for Jungle/moist environments/conditions and foot care?

Best Wishes,

Chris.

Cheers for posting this I didn't realise it had been withdrawn. As I've only a little left I will be interested in seeing the replies. Cheers

--------------------------------------------
    "If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mycota-18676...6230484&sr=8-1

Though I use daktarin spray because it can be dropped in a lake and still work unlike powder.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

http://josephburge.tumblr.com

I use this in a 50\50 mix with baby powder after a wash, but do not put it on you anus it has a cooling effect thats a little to much for me,

Daktarin

Tea tree is pretty effective on fungal conditions. Think was issued to Aussie troops during WW2 during the jungle campaigns?
    This is one manufacturer - lots of others out there
    http://www.thursdayplantation.com/pr...-and-Foot-Care

I was about to suggest tea tree essential oil added to ordinary talcum powder, one of the unscented baby ones maybe ? but if you just rub a little of the oil into your feet it stops fungal infections very effectively. You can mix it with a little olive oil and melted beeswax to make a stuff like lipsyl that won't mind the weather, won't make a mess in a pack and goes on easily.

cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

As an aside, I used the talk side of the product after a long day to treat my feet, if you just want something that will kill fungus, it's worth getting some potassium permanganate - yes it makes your feet brown but it works a treat and can also be used to start a fire by adding glycerine.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

http://josephburge.tumblr.com

Boots do a medicated foot powder which I find to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Firelite View Post
    Boots do a medicated foot powder which I find to be OK.

Oddly enough, Boots owns Mycil (and Nurofen).

What happened to Mycil?
    Having too many options gives you the option to get it wrong one day.

Plenty of others, scroll down this page..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Scholls-O.../dp/B000RMNJ7W

Quote Originally Posted by southey View Post
    I use this in a 50\50 mix with baby powder after a wash, but do not put it on you anus it has a cooling effect thats a little to much for me,

Daktarin
    i'm fascinated to know how or why you found this particular gem of information out. And is it likely to be catching!?
    He who is illuminated with the Brightest Light
    will cast the Darkest Shadow- Andrew Chumbley

For a general foot powder I just use corn starch; cheap and available in the baking section of any grocery store. It keeps feet dry and healthy.

To treat athlete's foot I use any cream that contains clotrimozole. A generic is fine.

It may sound a wee bit gross. However urinating on your tootsies can help clear up athletes foot.

Windy
    "In the field of opportunities
    it's ploughing time again"

Neil Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterhoose View Post
    It may sound a wee bit gross. However urinating on your tootsies can help clear up athletes foot.

Windy
    I must remember to take my boots off next time

i have realy bad athleats foot and the only thing that has worked for me is canisten HD subscribed by my doctor that contains a mild steroid.

I still don't understand what happened to Mycil??? Does anyone know?

I didn't know "tench foot" was a major problem here in the UK I always use a pair of cheap flip flops after a days walking !! Just let the air get to your feet
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemmingway

Quote Originally Posted by knifefan View Post
    I didn't know "tench foot" was a major problem here in the UK

Sounds fishy to me.

Hi Dartmoor Navigator

The Mycil dilema is just that the relevant pharmacutical companies that manufactur Mycil and other foot powders including Boots own have failed to re-new the licences for the products in the UK hence problems with supply, If you search around on the web you can still find it but the price is going up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartmoor navigator View Post
    I still don't understand what happened to Mycil??? Does anyone know?
    Once again i find myself amazed at Man's Pathetic Score; Years of Knowledge Wasted & Ignored !

Thanks, Trooper.

I have just spent a week trying to by some mycil and had not realissed that it is actually discontinued.
    But generally on a daily basis I use Cuticura. I prefer it to standard baby powder, as it is slightly medicated, and it does not seem to clump when meeting damp skin, or during the day as I sweat, as much as regular baby talc does. I dont know if the grains are finer or what it is.
    I work on oil rigs all over the world, and I use cuticura to dust my feet, socks and groin after every shower.

Cuticura used to come in metal tins, and I travel alot, and found that the tin often gets squashed and starts to leak around the seam between the main body and the "shouldered" section. Just recently I bought more, online, and it came in plastic containers, which being slightly flexible should not leak I think.

The plastic container version I just bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ms_ohs_product
    The metal container version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuticura-Tal...d_sim_beauty_7

Incidentally, if I see I am actually getting athletes foot or tinea in my groin, I use Daktarin to actually treat it. I use the cream and the spray.

I am in the Pee on your feet camp, works on cracked heels as well. the other remedies are fresh air and clean socks.

Daktarin powder or grind up thyme in regular talk
    Dano

I contacted the manufacturers of Mycil, and it was discontinued - they say due to lack of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterhoose View Post

Windy
    I wee on my feet when in the shower and touch wood never had fungul foot infection. I must say though it does.nt work in the bath

Quote Originally Posted by knifefan View Post
    I didn't know "tench foot" was a major problem here in the UK I always use a pair of cheap flip flops after a days walking !! Just let the air get to your feet
    This was drummed into us in the forces, feet need to air after being washed to get rid if the "Toe Jam".
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    I wee on my feet when in the shower and touch wood never had fungul foot infection. I must say though it does.nt work in the bath
    Does it clear up dandruff do you know?
    He who is illuminated with the Brightest Light
    will cast the Darkest Shadow- Andrew Chumbley

I got a talc-type stuff from Home Bargains in a big yellow container with a blue lid. It's a man-made talc, bizarrely. Don't have the name as I took the label off.

Don't really see the point in messing about with it or putting it on your bum-hole, seems to work fine as it is on my feet.

I put it in a large zip-loc bag when I'm out on trips and stick my foot in the bag - it's easier to carry and it stops waste. Learned that one in the military.
    Cheers,

Mike

It's Adventure In A Bowl...

For foot fungal infections you can use a very dilute bleach solution or Vicks vapour rub.

Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast