Alpkit
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Girl dies in monoxide poisoning tragedy.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gwynedd
    Posts
    1,524

    Default Girl dies in monoxide poisoning tragedy.

    Please excuse the journalese style headline.

    Sadly carbon monoxide has killed a young girl who was camping in Shropshire. The monoxide was produced by a disposable BBQ which was stored in the porch of the tent.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ma...?newsfeed=true

    A sad reminder of how easily one can fall victim to this type of poisoning.
    A homeless man is just a hardcore bushcrafter...

  2. #2

    Default

    incredibly sad story that heart really goes out to the family
    Hamish Half-Goat Odinson



    facebook.com/HalfGoatLeatherwork

    Nothing Ventured, nothing gained.
    Njal's Saga

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    maidenhead
    Posts
    255

    Default

    That must be devastating Heart goes out to them.

    Trying to understand though :
    "There was a disposable barbecue which they had used the night before in the porch of the tent. "

    Is there more to it than that.. Could it be that it was still burning!? Surely not

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, Yorkshire
    Posts
    30

    Default

    This kind of incident has happened a few times over the last year or so, can someone explain to me about frontier stoves and why they are ok.
    I know they have a flue, but what about gasses leaking out of the stove...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Britannia!
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    that's shocking to say the least.

    makes you wonder what other seemingly harmless things can seriously harm/kill you..
    Beware beware of the badgers lair!

  6. #6

    Default

    Very sad indeed

    But is this not the second such case, I seem to remember a similar death last year where someone took a disposable B-B-Q into a tent to keep warm?

    Bearing in mind the recent cold weather could this not be a similar case.........?

    Richard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,554

    Default

    Sad news that these type of events can still happen, I think the same fate came to a couple in the Lakes just a few weeks ago, they were in a wooden pod though as far as I remember
    Rich

    www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

    Heading North - my trip blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    Ah, carbon monoxide. Read the early news reports of a death, they didn't specify the cause.

    Tragic.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chepstow, Wales
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    That must be devastating Heart goes out to them.

    Trying to understand though :
    "There was a disposable barbecue which they had used the night before in the porch of the tent. "

    Is there more to it than that.. Could it be that it was still burning!? Surely not

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    No doubt it was. They would have dragged it into the entrance to get the warmth not understanding that CO would be produced.

    I'm enbarassed to admit that I did this many times whilst camping with my now wife many years ago. The only reason we are alive is that the tents weren't as sealed as they are today.
    When camping last year at Bream I was walking to the pub when I spotted a young couple doing just that and I had to stop and advice them of the error of their ways.
    I believe EVERY camp site should hand out leaflets warning of this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hamilton NZ
    Posts
    2,259

    Default

    Some guys did a similar thing over here a couple of years ago took a charcoal BBQ into a cabin to warm the place up over night. I seem to remember there was at last 1 fatality and the others in the group of 5 were in a bad way. Same thing CO Poisioning...

    Its sad this family's camping trip has turned into tragedy...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Ignorance is the problem. I really feel for this family. Last weekend sitting out with my portable bbq/fire pit, I thought how easy it would be to think that a pile of glowing red smokeless embers would be safe. If there was loads of smoke I guess it wouldn't keep happening.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalas View Post
    No doubt it was. They would have dragged it into the entrance to get the warmth not understanding that CO would be produced.

    I'm enbarassed to admit that I did this many times whilst camping with my now wife many years ago. The only reason we are alive is that the tents weren't as sealed as they are today.
    When camping last year at Bream I was walking to the pub when I spotted a young couple doing just that and I had to stop and advice them of the error of their ways.
    I believe EVERY camp site should hand out leaflets warning of this.
    Yeah. or insist on CO alarms. Less than £20, and could have helped prevent such tragic outcome.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    12,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody110 View Post
    This kind of incident has happened a few times over the last year or so, can someone explain to me about frontier stoves and why they are ok.
    I know they have a flue, but what about gasses leaking out of the stove...
    You answered your own question, fire causes an updraft of warm/hot air which is 'sucked' up the flue. If your flue is blocked you could have problems...always ventilate your shelter (or your living room for that matter if you have a stove or open hearth) and make sure your flue is clear.


    Another tragic loss of life

    Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game





  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Banchory
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    Very sad news indeed.

    Re: frontier stove
    I fitted a flashing kit and installed my frontier stove in my lavvu last weekend at the NE Scotland meet- lots of drafts from the edges meant I was reasonably confident, but I did pack a CO monitor and fire extinguisher too given I proofed the tent with Tompsons Water Seal a couple of years ago. Worked brilliantly it did!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    Ignorance is the problem. I really feel for this family. Last weekend sitting out with my portable bbq/fire pit, I thought how easy it would be to think that a pile of glowing red smokeless embers would be safe. If there was loads of smoke I guess it wouldn't keep happening.
    For me, this sums up a terrible situation. You can't help but feel for the family

    I guess disposable BBQs are so common place that the dangers aren't obvious to people.
    One day I might grow up - but I hope not
    Say 'yes' unless there's a good reason to the contrary

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    I think part of the problem is that, nowadays, everything comes with warning labels, and - as with car-alarms - no-one takes any notice of any of them anymore..

    Ineffectiveness through overkill............

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    maidenhead
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalas View Post
    No doubt it was. They would have dragged it into the entrance to get the warmth not understanding that CO would be produced.
    .
    Thanks for answering this Understand much better now as I didn't realize this was done.



    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •