Alpkit

Thread: Wild Garlic Transplanting

North of Bennachie and a bit to the right, Aberdeenshire

Default Wild Garlic Transplanting

Is there a way to get wild garlic started in another place such as a garden? I don't have any near where I live but would like to maybe have some in a large container pot.

Are there any problems with doing so?

No, I have some in my Garden, it seems to be doing OK.

www.ice-raven.co.uk -Arctic adventures

Just make sure you keep it in a tub... otherwise it'll take over your garden
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

I was thinking it was a spreader.

Do I just take the whole plant and replant it?

Mine is in a large trough, and it pretty much fills that, so I would assume it does spread. I already had it in the garden, so all i did was lift it and put it in the trough, with some John Innes, in a shady area, and it seems to be doing great, And Im known as the killer of green stuff, such is my gardening prowess

www.ice-raven.co.uk -Arctic adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabean View Post

Do I just take the whole plant and replant it?
    It worked for us ! good luck

Thanks. I will see what I can do. Just need to find a source close to where i live

Definately best putting it in a pot, rather than having a problem getting it to grow you may have a problem stopping it!

It does spread like crazy. If you you lift some (with landowner permission - digging up roots is a no no), take it soil and all in a clump. The roots are easily damaged.

If you take seed, plant it now - it must suffer freezing to germinate - if kept warm it lacks "venification" and fails

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

We eat loads of this through the spring, didn't know that it grew so well in Scotland. I wouldn't have it in my garden as it does eventually cover a large area and I can do more productive things with that space. I did transplant a clump of it to a bit of unused land nearby and it has taken well. I just pop in and pick some on my way back from walking the dog - hiding food in plain site !

had some isn a pot for a few years from my mothers garden

you can also collect the seeds in the wild as Red pointed out digging up without specific permission is illegal (CWA 1981 ) as long as CROW act 2000 isn't in place on the land where you cant take any thing at all ( thanks Ramblers )

Now we have our Forever house i can release them to take over a bank

ATB

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post
    hiding food in plain site !
    I like the term "Guerrilla gardening"
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

When would it be best to collect the seeds and what would be the best way?

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    you can also collect the seeds in the wild as Red pointed out digging up without specific permission is illegal (CWA 1981 ) as long as CROW act 2000 isn't in place on the land where you cant take any thing at all ( thanks Ramblers )

How do you find out where the CROW act applies and are the laws different up here in Scotland from down south for that type of thing?

When would it be best to collect the seeds and what would be the best way?

How do you find out where the CROW act applies and are the laws different up here in Scotland from down south for that type of thing?
    england and wales only so your ok

Yeh, I just noticed that it was the Countryside Right of Way act.

But would the laws differ on what can/can't be picked with or without permission? I take it the CWA 1981 applies to the whole of the UK?

Yeh, I just noticed that it was the Countryside Right of Way act.

But would the laws differ on what can/can't be picked with or without permission? I take it the CWA 1981 applies to the whole of the UK?

Covers all UK but there are E+W parts and S parts in there

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/contents

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...tion-of-plants

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    It does spread like crazy. If you you lift some (with landowner permission - digging up roots is a no no), take it soil and all in a clump. The roots are easily damaged.

If you take seed, plant it now - it must suffer freezing to germinate - if kept warm it lacks "venification" and fails

Red

So, to clarify, its OK to plant seed now as opposed to autumn even though we're unlikely to get any frost for quite a while?
    It'll shine when it shines, you might thinking I'm wasting time, but I'm just a good ol' boy who's learned to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
    So, to clarify, its OK to plant seed now as opposed to autumn even though we're unlikely to get any frost for quite a while?
    Well think when does mother nature let the wild plants seed ????

I asked because Red seemed to be suggesting planting now.
    It'll shine when it shines, you might thinking I'm wasting time, but I'm just a good ol' boy who's learned to wait.

I asked because Red seemed to be suggesting planting now.

maybe he means if you plant now dont expect any life till next spring and dont put in the green house etc

I jsut collect my seeds and sprinkle in the pots and leave out side and forget till next year

ATB

Duncan

Hi Pandabean
    Is this the right stuff.
    We the most distant dwellers upon the earth, the last of the free, beyond us lies nothing but waves and rock, chieftain Calgacus

Looks to be.

I wouldn't - you would hve to buy it - it'll end up as two year old seed before it germinates. My ramsoms are setting seed right now - so I would wait a few weeks for this years. gather that stuff up, plant that in about June and hope

If you fins some ramsoms with seed heads that are dropping seed then yep, shake some into an envelope, and plant out doors straightaway - don't wait for spring

I've got some in a 12" terracotta pot burried up to it's rim in a shady damp spot in my garden, this means it dosen't need watering,
    It was dug up at about this time of year chucked in a bucket and planted a few days later when we got home so I guess it's not too delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    I wouldn't - you would hve to buy it - it'll end up as two year old seed before it germinates. My ramsoms are setting seed right now - so I would wait a few weeks for this years. gather that stuff up, plant that in about June and hope

If you fins some ramsoms with seed heads that are dropping seed then yep, shake some into an envelope, and plant out doors straightaway - don't wait for spring

Ok.thanks Red.