Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good outdoor lighter recomendations

Default Good outdoor lighter recomendations

I am after a nice new shiny lighter :-) Having bought 3 butane jet flame ones in the past I have been sorely disappointed in them but I spotted this one today which is VERY pricey but ticks all the boxes for shiny new kit syndrome.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P...istory=related

I have been surviving on bics for around a year which are fine unless it is windy, and as a smoker it can be quite annoying having to get under your jacket to light a cig and with numb wet hands near impossible.

The 3 butane lighters I had in the past lasted no time at all before giving up the ghost. The most expensive one of the 3 lasted some 2 days before dieing and the company refused to respond to my emails.... Having researched it I found a ton of complaints about them.

I do have a zippo, but I like the jet flame of the butane ones. I really do not want to fork out the best part of 50 bucks for something which will die on me within a few weeks though. Saying that, it comes from a good maker (wenger). 9 cm in length seems excessive but It is waterproof, sturdy and holds a lot of fuel.

Any thoughts on butane lighters in general or has anyone got one of these? Or a decent recommendation of a lighter which has lasted the years would be most welcome.

Cheers

I did have, many years ago a Rowenta jet flame type lighter that lasted several years before disappearing sadly...

If you do go for the Wenger, always worth shopping around http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/33072...var=sbar&cbt=y
    The one and only "BUCKAROO!"

Buy an IMCO - on ebay for about a fiver or less,, lighter element can be removed to use as a long match, good in wind and will last for decades!

I'm back on cheap Clippers these days, I spent stupid money on all sorts and they all failed at some point. If I know it's going to be fairly gruesome weather for a trip I'll pack the Zippo, otherwise I just carry a couple of Clippers and keep them topped up and a spare flint to hand.
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world

i use either a cheap clipper or disposable lighter or my zippo or if feeling retro i use a WWI style trench lighter. the clipper and disposables run on gas the others on lighter fluid
    i have never been a fan of jet lighters personally
    EDIT great minds think alike Shewie!
    Last edited by Man of Tanith; 29-04-2012 at 23:37.
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

I've had Primus and Silva jetflames on me, I carry ten for a quid butane lighters and
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/compact...t-lighter-4179 which is still working after the Primus and Silva failed, buy 27 of them instead of the Wenger.

Paddle faster...I hear banjo music

Silva ropeburners and uber tactical windmill lighters are both equally sh**. Buy bic
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

i had the same situation, bit of a hit and miss if you ask me, i have bought lighters that worked great for everyone who has posted a review, but stopped lighting after 2 days but i bought a small Honest jet lighter and it has lasted for years, the nozzle has been clogged with mud and even the variable, jet size alternator has stood up to everything, but as i said, hit and miss

zippo and a twin jet ligher i got from ebay for about £7 still going a year later, if gas drops so 3mm it stops lighting, fill it up works ok, sometimes needs dust blowing out the top.

I did shop around and found it around that price, just didnt want to post amazon.ebay stuff unless I was accused of being a seller! Cheers for the links tho :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski View Post
    I did have, many years ago a Rowenta jet flame type lighter that lasted several years before disappearing sadly...

If you do go for the Wenger, always worth shopping around http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/33072...var=sbar&cbt=y

For a fiver I will be buying one in the next 30 mins! I'll still be buying a butane one but be good to compare the two, and at that price why not....

Cheers, great link and recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy BB View Post
    Buy an IMCO - on ebay for about a fiver or less,, lighter element can be removed to use as a long match, good in wind and will last for decades!

Yes I have considered this, 50 lighters at a buck each would last many years...... However it is the jet flame I am after. I could go for cheap and cheerful but I have done this for a long time now. I want a bit of kit in my pocket which is the same bit of kit that I have owned for ten years and never fails me. I can replace and replace and replace, but I have no real ownership about it. I did have my zippo for 5 years before the hinge broke, I can get it repaired for free and will do sometime, however the jet flame is what I really want.

Nice link - a few bucks only. I do worry it might explode with those cheap parts though!

Zippo do a jet flame

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2
    Git-R-Dun

Hi Andy - I got an IMCO but I found that it needed refuelling every few days even when not in use - or maybe I just got a bad one?
    One day I might grow up - but I hope not
    Say 'yes' unless there's a good reason to the contrary

What's the lighter for? fires and cigs? Just use a firepiston, works most of the time and no need for fuel :P

Quote Originally Posted by NetFrog View Post
    Yes I have considered this, 50 lighters at a buck each would last many years...... However it is the jet flame I am after. I could go for cheap and cheerful but I have done this for a long time now. I want a bit of kit in my pocket which is the same bit of kit that I have owned for ten years and never fails me. I can replace and replace and replace, but I have no real ownership about it. I did have my zippo for 5 years before the hinge broke, I can get it repaired for free and will do sometime, however the jet flame is what I really want.

Nice link - a few bucks only. I do worry it might explode with those cheap parts though!
    Be warned, regardless of price, these lighters are not renowned for reliability, never ever just take this as you fire source, put a bic in your pocket too.

Paddle faster...I hear banjo music

Quote Originally Posted by Elines View Post
    Hi Andy - I got an IMCO but I found that it needed refuelling every few days even when not in use - or maybe I just got a bad one?
    Same experience here.... A good bit of kit but the fuel dries out rapidly. I'm a Bic user... Cheap and they work.. Not as much 'fun' to use as the IMPCO though...
    Last edited by johnboy; 30-04-2012 at 04:14.

These are very hard to beat for the price mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butane-Jet...item20bb53db50

They do generally break at the ignition button after about 6 months but at the price the are amazing. The tank is quite big so for normal smoking and general firelighting etc they should last between 3 weeks and a month. Also you can see exactly how much fuel you have left, that was the big selling point for me.

The Wenger one will be good and probably bombproof but I would give this a go first after all it's only £3.49.

I have no connection to seller etc etc just a happy customer.
    Scaramouch Scaramouch Will You Do The Fandango!!
    Midge Canny Get In!!

http://scottjohnstone.weebly.com

I've used an imco for a few years now, what you need to do is pack it with extra cotton wool until its quite tight. You'll find they last a lot longer on one refill then, mine lasts at least a week and is used 20 times a day
    New success in the outdoors comes from age old wisdom.

I bought a couple turbo flame jobbies from go outdoors. One to use and one for para cord ends. They were rubbish. One wouldn't work after a refill. The other stopped sparking after a short time.
    Now I'm back to throw aways for cigs and a zippo blu (jet flame) for everything else. They are dear but work everytime.
    They need refilling quite often though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I bought an early jet flame a long time ago and it lasted for about 8 years.

Since then I've bought several, of different types and the same but none has been the least bit reliable.

Now I carry matches.
    Wayland

_ _ _Wayland's World____________ Living a life less ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by steve a View Post
    I've used an imco for a few years now, what you need to do is pack it with extra cotton wool until its quite tight. You'll find they last a lot longer on one refill then, mine lasts at least a week and is used 20 times a day
    Mine - I have loads around the house (make great birthday/xmas presents) - tend to last about a week, ,with, again, 20+ lights a day. I find them much more fuel-efficient than the Zippos, about the same for effectiveness in the wind, and the "pull-out match" thingie is brilliant, much-used when fire/stove lighting. I keep a spare flint above the spring, another in the cotton-wool. Having used them for over a decade, I have yet to have one break on me. When filling up, keep gonig until the surface fuel doesn't sink into the cotton-wool any more - many people tend to wait for the first "glisten" of fuel and then stop filling. Give it time!

Conversely, I have never managed to keep a turbo-lighter - of any brand - working effectively for long.

....................... When filling up, keep gong until the surface fuel doesn't sink into the cotton-wool any more - many people tend to wait for the first "glisten" of fuel and then stop filling. Give it time!.....................

Thanks - I'll give it a go - They are nicer to use than a BIC - although the refillable ones with the plastic 'platform' aren't as uncomfortable as the throwaway grindwheel sort.
    One day I might grow up - but I hope not
    Say 'yes' unless there's a good reason to the contrary

Another Imco user here. I've got the slimline. I much prefer it to a zippo type.

It been properly abused with sand and salt water over the years and still works.

As a smoker, I live with a lighter in outdoors. The most reliable gas lighter I have is a True thats now 10 years old and still lights first time.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Pete.

Imco or Zippo, I've tried many others but always return to my petrol lighters.
    'Queen Victoria, very nice man'.

Clippers suck IME!

The valves are always dodgy. The only ones that work are other peoples, and when I manage to liberate them from the owner, they stop working!

Its the last lighter I'd take unless the other choice of lighter was a petrol soaked kitten and car battery.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Pete.

I've got a Blazer lighter: http://www.heinnie.com/Lighters/Blaz...-101-859-6255/, which I have found to be really good. As the other guys say though don't take it as your only source. I also carry a peanut lighter and permanent match just in case. Oh and a fire steel.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelUK View Post
    ... As the other guys say though don't take it as your only source. I also carry a peanut lighter and permanent match just in case. Oh and a fire steel.
    +1 vote on multi-carry. I have three jet flame lighters which have been very good. One was from DX, one from Eurohike (not sure if it's still available) and one from 'Amber Value' which is a sort of Pound Shop in Ripley, Derbyshire.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-130...e-lighter-1320
    http://maceachain.blogspot.co.uk/201...m-lighter.html
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...143#post755143 -- unfortunately I can't seem to find a link to the product details anywhere.

Peanut lighters are great if the sealing 'O' ring is good, they don't lose fuel by evaporation nearly so quickly as things like the Zippo. My peanut lighter was filled at Christmas and it's still fine.

My experience of the 'Turboflame' brand is that they are complete pants. I'm on my third and it's been no better than the first two. None of them would light when it's cold, and this one lasted about a week before it wouldn't light at all.

There's not much to go wrong with a ferro rod.
    Last edited by ged; 02-05-2012 at 13:40. Reason: Typo

I also have a peanut lighter or two - one in the car and one in my bag/case. Just tried the one in my suitcase - filled two years ago. Lit first time and still appears to have plenty of fuel in it. Great for backup - can put it on keyring for example (although I don't as it'll never make it through airport security), but will run out fairly quickly if a main user.

I have a Zippo and fill it before leaving home. I keep a little Zippo refill tube thing with me too. It will fill the lighter about twice. I carry multiple ways to make fire but for a good lighter I prefer the old Zippo. Not a smoker though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast