Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never shall we die.
I've nearly always got the kit I need for leather working with me, even if it's in the form of my repairs kit.
Given the supply of craft materials and inspiration from the market and museums I don't think I'll be short of stuff to do.
My challenges are less physical than they used to be these days. I'll be happy just being there and taking stuff in.
It doesn't stop other people going off and pushing themselves if they want though.
Well it's approaching the time we need firm commitments for Damian to negotiate with.
The main point is that we need to know numbers so that we can sort out the camp site. (Which looks to be a great opportunity to me.)
I realise that we haven't got firm prices yet and that some other details are still pretty vague, that's the nature of this sort of thing but I know that barring unforeseen circumstances I am definitely going and I know Damian and Pete feel the same.
So.. Who else is going to step up and make this happen?
Just to recap. This is a real opportunity to spend some time in one of Europe's finest arctic areas, and experience the culture of the Samni peoples at their annual market in the town of Jokkmokk, which is bounded by 3 of Sweden's large National parks. Not only this, but a chance to experience a real arctic environment for all you Cold junkies out their.
As Wayland posted above at least 3 of us have already committed to going, come what may; However if we can get a descent size group together, everyone can benefit from the discounts offered to parties of 10 or more. Combined with the chance to have our own private campsite just on the outskirts of the town (if we can get the numbers) for a very special price (unfortunately I need to supply numbers to get the price, but IT will be a lot cheaper than staying at the commercial campsite, on the other end of the town.
So folks I don't mind doing the leg work and getting all the prices, negotiating with airlines and hostels, and campsites and getting flights sorted from the UK. but I can only do this if I Have some numbers I can use.
So have a read of the plans highlighted and outlined in this thread, and lets see if we can have a trip to remember (in a good way)
Last edited by udamiano; 09-07-2012 at 17:05.
Any recent developments with this trip?
Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never shall we die.
Well if you read back just two posts you would see that we are waiting for people to make some commitment to the trip so that we can negotiate numbers for the camp site.
As it stands Damian, Pete and myself are planning to go on our own because nobody else has responded in 14 days...
If I can convince my brother in law that we won't be in constant darkness (he is worried about the limited amount of daylight hours), I am still planning to go to the market and combine it with some ski touring.
I'm 80% likely to go, I'll know once I have started my new teaching job and can try to negotiate the week off. I'll either drive to Sundsvall and jump on the train there or take a connecting train directly from Östersund.
Good stuff lads.
I think Damian needs to have numbers by the end of the month or so.
Given the developments here, it is very likely that I will not be able to attend. Therefor I am stepping back. Hope you guys have a great trip!!
Befor you assume, learn.
Befor you judge, understand.
Befor you hurt, feel.
Befor you say, think.
My outdoorblog; http://flyingwoodsman.blogspot.com/
Sorry chaps, another drop-out! I would love to go but I've got too many things up in the air for next year already. Have fun. Ted
"Don't dream it, be it"
Ok , thanks for the info gentlemen, Id rather have people say they can't make it, then later be able too, than the other way if that makes sense. I can always re-negotiate prices if we get better numbers.
IIRC its about 5-6 hours during the time we will be there, plenty of daylight to do stuff, and it doesn't really get that dark, the snow will reflect any light for hours after sunset, especially near the towns. although it does get very dark away from the town if you decide to go off into the wilds.If I can convince my brother in law that we won't be in constant darkness (he is worried about the limited amount of daylight hours)
anyone else interested in what is likely to be an unforgettable experience
Had a meeting with my brother in law tonight and it is settled, we are going!
We will probably spend two days at the market. We would like to camp nearby so anything that can be arranged would be much appreciated. From there on we would like to go and camp 'in the wild' for a couple of days. Anybody have any idea how we can find a Swedish mister Knut (the guy who let us make a camp in his backyard on our Norwegian adventure)? I have no problems with paying someone x amount for letting us use his grounds if we can cut some wood and make a natural shelter if conditions allow.
Looking forward to it!
Great news Ducky, will PM you as soon as site is confirmed.
Any update on the plans guys? We are thinking of booking our flights. Would be nice to know the plans from those that are going so we can arrange a get together.
I may be able to pop over for the week of the Saami market. Looking at prices I can get a flight for £126 return and train for £52 return... Now have to check my work rotas
Sounds great, Was going over final bits and bobs with Wayland over the weekend, as far as dates, accommodation,transfers, and train times and costs. Sio will PM you this week along with the other folks who have expressed and interest in going.
I thank ee sir !!
It'll be good to have you along Dave.
Bump for travel plans
I want to make the reservations before the end of the month. Is the train from Stockholm to Murjek definately the way to go? Anybody made a reservation yet? Don't know if it is going to get busy because of the winter market. If there are enough of us to book a 'private' berth that could be good.
I have started te get ready. Got myself a synthetic overbag for my down sleepingbag so should be good down to -40. I have learnt last trip that lugging around 40+ kilograms in the snow is not funny. I joined the pulka gang
Sorry mate, up to my ears at the moment. Not booked anything, but the local campsite emailed me yesterday to see if we want a cabin, so this kind of makes me think that numbers may not be up for them. Im phoning Swedish Rail tomorrow to find out the prices for a complete birth, and to see if we can get any discounts, at the moment there is about 5/6 of us going, whereas the magic number is usually 10 for discounts and such. Im still looking at a private site just outside the town and in negotiations on cost atm, but probably looking around the 400-500 SK a night, but i'm working on a better price. As the trains go, the location for us will depend on the seasonal weather, and if the line is open all the way up, during the summer you can get directly into Jokkmokk via rail, but during the winter...
Im looking to be booking flights by the end of the month, and campsites deposits also, so aleast we've got a confirmed place to stay. The rail bit might be a bit later as i'm working on routes and connections.
Looking to be in Stockholm on 26th January,
2 Days in Stockholm 26-28th
28th Train north
Back in Stockholm either the 9 or 10th February
Back in Manchester 10th February.
So far the cheapest flights i've found are about £125 return from Manchester
Rail, about 4000+SK for a group berth
If Anyone in Stockholm fancies popping into the rail station for me, and seeing there is any deals going and PM me I would bring a bottle of something nice over for them
The stuga's at the skabram campsite were already fully booked for months, so at least a bunch of people are coming
Looking forward to going out. We are planning to visit the market first and then stay for a couple of days more (total ~10 days). I see you are finishing at the market, so traveling together is probably not on, but some place to meet up at the market and have a brew would be nice.
From the Netherlands it appears quite economical to get a flight to Lulea with SAS or Norwegian, which leaves about 180 km to go to Jokkmokk. Any reason why I should not do that? Could there be potential problems getting to Jokkmokk from Lulea if there is a lot of snow?
I'm just checking whether this is a viable alternative to the sleepertrain from Stockholm.
As far as i know Swedish rail pretty much runs whatever the weather, although they do have slight variations in how far north during the dead of winter, as I understand it, they provide a coach service for the final leg of the journey, Im calling them back this afternoon to ask, as yesterday they couldn't confirm 100%
I'm working on adding a fur muff that I got from a flee market to my arctic smock. The smock has a hand warmer pocket in the front and I thought lining it with fur would be a good idea for when it gets really cold or when you want to have a hand warming break during an activity that requires you to take your mittens off. Muffs seem to be mainly a feminine thing, but they seem to make sense as a cold weather accessory, even for men, right?