Alpkit

Thread: Parachute needed.

Default Parachute needed.

I need to source an army surplus type parachute canopy for
    an event later this year. Where should I go? It doesn't need to
    be usable as a parachute but will need to be intact to make a
    big shelter. Help appreciated guys.
    Cheers , Simon
    When I die tell my wife to sell my knives for what they are worth : not what I told her I paid for them.

It may look like im not doing anything, but at the cellular level im really quite busy.

If you can, try to get a cargo canopy rather than a personnel canopy. Cargo canopies are made of heavier material, and a lot stronger, but you may have to sew up a split or tear, because that's the usual reason why they're scrapped. They're generally bigger than personnel canopies, and usually white, with noticably thicker lines.

Alan
    No man knows true happiness until he's married......but then it's too late!

Proud member of the Greater Manchester Bushcraft Group

Quote Originally Posted by Kepis View Post
    Heck, they're a price!

I've been very happy with these:

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/prod...live-and-white

They have a minimum order value, so I did a Group Buy last year. It wasn't just parachutes in the GB, they have loads of useful stuff.

Ged, the minimum is 150 plus VAT so 180 in total. I'm having another woodburner off them for my daughters tent, good company.

I've got a pink army chute, not sure if its round or rectangular, not unpacked it yet.
    Last edited by rik_uk3; 26-04-2012 at 13:17.

Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game

If it's just for the one event and you'd rather borrow one there's one lying up here that's a free-for-all affair.
    My folks live near Moreland and I doubt it'd be a problem for me to get it to you nearer the time while visiting them.
    Once you're done you could drop it off at the cottage and it can lie in the coalshed 'till I'm down again.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Ged, the minimum is 150 plus VAT so 180 in total. I'm having another woodburner off them for my daughters tent, good company.

I've got a pink army chute, not sure if its round or rectangular, not unpacked it yet.
    Well there you are then, just pop a 'chute on your order and post it to plastic-ninja. That'll save him at least 25 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    just pop a 'chute on your order and post it to plastic-ninja. That'll save him at least 25 quid.
    Plus the cost of untold repairs to the rips and tears they mention, which will cost more than a few quid to get sewn up if Plastic-Ninja doesnt have access to a sewing machine, whereas the others are guaranteed to have no rips or tears and have the cost of postage included in the price, they also have a cheaper one at 35.00, again, no rips or tears and including delivery.
    Last edited by Kepis; 26-04-2012 at 14:31.
    It may look like im not doing anything, but at the cellular level im really quite busy.

Just found out the transport costs on these things!!!!!!
    Kep's eBay page looks like it might be good value particularly
    if not needing repairs.
    Thanks for all the input folks.
    Simon
    When I die tell my wife to sell my knives for what they are worth : not what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepis View Post
    Plus the cost of untold repairs to the rips and tears they mention, which will cost more than a few quid to get sewn up if Plastic-Ninja doesnt have access to a sewing machine, whereas the others are guaranteed to have no rips or tears and have the cost of postage included in the price, they also have a cheaper one at 35.00, again, no rips or tears and including delivery.
    Good points all, but to be fair to GIS they were mostly in pretty good nick. The one I've used at a few meets does have some damage I've never bothered repairing it -- in fact I've thought about cutting more holes in it to let the smoke out.
    Last edited by ged; 26-04-2012 at 19:48. Reason: Typo

Shame you are not a bit closer to me you could have borrowed mine. I bought one from the US on ebay about seven years ago from one of the surplus companies, cost me about 60 all in at the time from memory but may have been cheaper.
    Only thing I still have to so is sort out some tubing to make a ring to help support the shape.
    Last edited by awarner; 27-04-2012 at 00:40.