Alpkit

Thread: water bladder

Default water bladder

Hi All,

I'm after some advice on buying a water bladder to use with my UTG back pack. Currently I've got a cheap 2.5ltr bladder that no matter how many times I clean it with bi-carb, it taints the water with a truely foul taste of chemicals/plastic :-(((

Can anyone recommend one that won't taste like this? 9oh, and ideally not too expensive!)

thanks in advance,

Mike

Go for the CamelBak Omega water reservoir, either the military or the civvie version and replace the other reservoir you have.

miles888 il second the camelbac variety, ive got 3.
    an unbottle in 2litre, 3litre, another 2 litre bought with a hydration rucksack
    the newer made ones i find better tasting than my unbottle one but that might be me?
    i had a 3 litre role up carrier once forget its name but tough.
    anyone know what 3 litres of red bull do to the system!!!

I've got the Camelbak Stash which uses the Omega bladder. Water doesn't taste too bad as long as you empty the tube by blowing the water back into the bladder after each drink. Any water left in the tube ends up tasting of plastic.

I rate my Source bladder better than the Camelbaks or Platypus'. Slightly cheaper and seems better made.

I've split 5 camelbaks and 2 Platypus', the Source bladder seems a bit tougher. The wide top is great for filling from streams and cleaning out/drying.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Pete.

I have the same problem with my mountain bike bladder, for hiking though i use a Osprey pack and bladder.
    It's a bit bigger than the usual size at 3 litres which is handy for Greek summers, but best of all is it give absolutely no after taste.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...rm_reservoir_1

Cheers
    Mark

I like the Source ones too, got one of each size plus their Liquitainers

The wide mouth lets you give them a good clean so they don't go musty.

Have you tried a spot of bleach in the water?
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

Another vote for Source!

Also, I read on here somewhere that if you store it empty in the freezer, that keeps it fresh- that's where mine lives now between outings.

ATB

KP
    "Listen, strange women laying in ponds distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government..."

I got a 1.5 ltr bladder from ASDA i think I paid 8 for it and it came with a case/cover suitable for joggers, I has room for a small mobile phone on the Shoulder strap and a Space Blanket, Wheelie Bin Liner and a Ferro rod in the small pocket on the back.

(that means you can have a shelter of sorts and a fire with a drink if you were to twist you ankle while jogging late on an evening in some remote place. and then get help by a fellow jogger/dog walker the next morning.)
    Have a happy life with no regrets, and live long enough to be a burden to your kids.

+1 for Camelbak, have got 2 and a 3 litre (2 litre might go on here when my 3 arrives tbh) and love it.

What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it. Good luck with your search.

Two 2 litre Ortleib bladders a Source 2 L bladder and a Camelbak Ambush is the latest aquasition. No issue with any so far. Amush yet to be battle tested but it "looks" like an essential pice of kit.
    Last edited by ReamviThantos; 29-06-2012 at 19:47. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoordude View Post
    What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it.
    The MSR ones are good for carting water about and the spigot tap thing you can get is useful but the attachments for drinking from it while on the move make the whole a bit awkward. They are VERY durable and don't flavour the water too horribly.

Yeh. I've got a camel back and that's good. Thinking about the msr though. Which size would be good to get.

What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it. Good luck with your search.
    Just got mine today. IT's an absolutely amazing piece of kit ! I chose the 10 litres version, thinking it's easier to fill it half full if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hemdale View Post
    Just got mine today. IT's an absolutely amazing piece of kit ! I chose the 10 litres version, thinking it's easier to fill it half full if needed.
    Nice. Lucky you. Yeh I might get the 10 actually. What you using it for.

Nice. Lucky you. Yeh I might get the 10 actually. What you using it for.
    Storing water and all sort of things. Will be perfect for camping showers as well !

+1 on the camelback, but they are a pain to clean. A tip I learnt from a mountain biking forum was to use denture cleaning tablets - after use, rinse it out, fill 85% and throw a tablet in. let it fizz a little while with the top open, close, shake & allow to stand then rinse & dry.

another tip to add a squeeze of lemon juice to the water - it helps eliminate any plastic taste.

While browsing at Tamarack (great store imho, but not cheap) I saw this http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PB...?ItmID=9075747 looks like a much easier design for cleaning with the wide opening. not sure about the split design tho.

try cleaning them in Milton
    'judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions' voltaire

Yup brilliant kit imo, strong and supple,

Quote Originally Posted by gan_pi View Post
    another tip to add a squeeze of lemon juice to the water - it helps eliminate any plastic taste.
    +1 on the lemon...

Also try filling with water, add some vanilla essence and leave to soak for a while (as long as poss....). Worth a try.

i use the platypus big zip and never have a plasticy taste when filling with bottled water, but always get it with tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    i use the platypus big zip and never have a plasticy taste when filling with bottled water, but always get it with tap water.
    Maybe your tap water is slightly acidic wearing away at the plastic and leaving a nasty taste.

FYI, the MSR Dromedary can be filled with 9 liters of water...not 10. Just tried it tonite.

Maybe your tap water is slightly acidic wearing away at the plastic and leaving a nasty taste.
    did wonder if the chlorine was affecting the plastic as my old source bladder tasted awlfull with tap water

Current Source bladders are really top notch. Can't recommend them any more. Their military range is the one to go for. The UTA system that allows you to refill from a tap or bottle on the go is mega. Get a cleaning kit, biggest pain about these bladders is cleaning them.

My top tip for keeping bladders funk free is to rinse out after use, disconnect the hose and swing around to get the water out then let it dry, for the bladder itself I rinse out with water then put a plastic coated wire coat hanger bent into wierd and wonderful shapes inside (with the ends outside so they don't puncture it) to keep the surfaces apart so it can dry out faster. This will stop left over water trapped inside going bad, once completely dry just stuff it away somewhere cool and dry.
    My blog - Outdoors in CZ

+1 for the 3 litre issue camel back.when I get to camp I usually hang it up for drinking from,washing hands,even had a kind of a shower one day at hot and sunny festival.I got it in a swap with the filter kit.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk