Meet date: 01 to 05 June 2012 (Friday 01 to Tuesday 05) ~ Arrival time is from 16:00 on the 01st.
We are booked onto The Leader Training Field.
As per usual, the location is Rough Close Campsite.
In case the site's website goes down, the address and grid reference is:
City of Coventry Scout County
Rough Close Scout Campsite
OS: Grid Ref: SP264779 (Site Access) SP266786 (Site Centre)
The price per person, per night is £4.60 ~ please pay on arrival or soon after. Please note that, although I don't actively chase people for their fees, paying on Sunday often means that I have to make multiple trips back to the site in order to pay our dues.
The two toilet blocks nearest our pitch have reopened. Toilets will also be available at both the Norton Cabin and the Main Toilet block (near the Campers Car Park). Shower facilities are available at both the Norton Cabin and at the Main Toilet Block.
Water is available from the tap on the side on the building closest to the pitch.
We don't make use of a communal bin. There is a big bin adjacent to the gate in the Campers Car Park and it's there for site users to make use of.
WHEN TO PREPARE FIREWOOD?
In the dark hours:
It's a fair distance to the hospital and you'll (probably rightly) look an idiot.
In the early hours:
You are likely to be told to desist ~ and the telling might not be polite.
During the daylight hours when you're not tired.
There is not enough space for everyone's vehicles in the bays adjacent to the pitch and, after unloading*, vehicles will need to be parked up in the Campers Car Park. Site T&C's say that we can (where possible) have a maximum of two vehicles left up at the pitch ~ and they're already allotted on health grounds.
* unloading ~ not unloading, setting up, having a natter and then discovering that you're now blocked in
Helpful Info Section.
This might seem to make our Meets seem to be overly regulated. Don't worry, they aren't ~ it's just our way of trying to preempt the very rare 'If we're not allowed to ..., why didn't it say so in the Meet thread?' excuse/reaction/comment.
In addition to the 'The 'Touchy Subject' bit:'.
Expected and appropriate behaviour.
Meets, in general, are very good natured, self regulating, events.
In the event that one or more attendees are found to be causing concern to others they may be required to leave the site immediately. Anyone found to be overly aggresive, excessively unruly, or are otherwise hostile to any site user in any form may be required to leave the site immediately. In the event that an issue is caused by a minor then the parent or loco parentis will be required to take them home. In the event that an issue is caused by a guest the member who issued their invite may also be required to leave.
In the event that a member or a guest has a known mental disability which might affect behaviour let us know and, where we can, we will adapt and make allowances. In the event that we don't know that someone has behavioural issues (potential or otherwise) and attendees are found to have been put at risk, the member, inviting member and/or their guest will be asked to leave with immediate effect.
If you see, experience or suspect something 'amiss' please speak out ~ we cannot help if we don't know.
Edits in this post will be highlighted in red and italicised.
The Leader Training Field and various facilities are marked in the pic below. The Red line marks the approximate route of the main track which leads to the main access point to the pitch.
I'm leaving both RED (for Leader Training) and BLUE (for PC11) routes on for both ease and for reference .
This is a child friendly site and your youngsters are welcome ~ please see 'Helpful info' below.
The list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies. If in doubt, ask.
- Any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.
- Forum members are responsible for themselves*, the kit they use and their own actions (and any non member accompanying them) at the Meet.* This includes meals and cooking. It is up to each registered member to make sure that they have enough suitable food for their stay and and also for planning/arranging for any replenishment if/as need be.
- Under 18's must be accompanied by at least one parent or legal guardian.
- You brought it in, you take it out – camping fees do not include a rubbish collection fee ~ The site's bin is the big orange/red thing in the Camper’s Car Park.
- When visiting others, do not leave your rubbish in their pitch (or in a communal area) ~ take it with you and dispose of it yourself. The site's bin is the big orange/red thing in the Camper’s Car Park.
- Please refrain from burning rubbish on a fire that's being used to cook on.
- There is no communal bin in the Communal Area.
- Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited! Please don't walk through another groups pitch whilst drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
- Please keep ‘colourful language’ reasonable and to a reasonable volume.
- After unloading, vehicles need to be parked up in the Campers Car Park.
- Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal.
- Due to changes in site policy, we cannot cut down standing dead wood. The same goes for green wood ~ damaged or not.
- It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.
- In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site; outstanding fees will still be owed.
- Noise levels after 11 p.m need to be respectful of other campers desire to sleep at socially accepted hours.
- Noise levels before 07:30 a.m need to be respectful of other campers desire to have a bit of a lie in.
- Chopping (or cracking/snapping etc) wood at 'silly o'clock' is not acceptable. Please make sure that you prepare wood for the start of the next day well before dusk ~ and if you can't be sure, bring an alternative method of heating water/cooking.
- Reading the info above the site map is a good idea .
The 'Touchy Subject' bit:
Because the site is, first and foremost, a Scout camp site, the only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.
It's fine if you want to:
This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.
- be on your own
- lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc
- practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that
- practice flora and fauna ID
- so on and so forth ...
Copy and paste yada yada ...
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.