Alpkit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough Close 'Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend' Meet

Default Rough Close 'Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend' Meet

Meet date: 01 to 05 June 2012 (Friday 01 to Tuesday 05) ~ Arrival time is from 16:00 on the 01st.

We are booked onto The Leader Training Field.

Location.

As per usual, the location is Rough Close Campsite.

In case the site's website goes down, the address and grid reference is:

City of Coventry Scout County
    Rough Close Scout Campsite
    Tanners Lane
    Berkswell
    CV7 7DD

OS: Grid Ref: SP264779 (Site Access) SP266786 (Site Centre)

Fees.

The price per person, per night is £4.60 ~ please pay on arrival or soon after. Please note that, although I don't actively chase people for their fees, paying on Sunday often means that I have to make multiple trips back to the site in order to pay our dues.

FACILITIES.

Toilet:

The two toilet blocks nearest our pitch have reopened. Toilets will also be available at both the Norton Cabin and the Main Toilet block (near the Campers Car Park). Shower facilities are available at both the Norton Cabin and at the Main Toilet Block.

Water:

Water is available from the tap on the side on the building closest to the pitch.

Refuse:

We don't make use of a communal bin. There is a big bin adjacent to the gate in the Campers Car Park and it's there for site users to make use of.

WHEN TO PREPARE FIREWOOD?

In the dark hours:

Don't!

It's a fair distance to the hospital and you'll (probably rightly) look an idiot.

In the early hours:

Don't!

You are likely to be told to desist ~ and the telling might not be polite.

When, then?

During the daylight hours when you're not tired.

PARKING.

There is not enough space for everyone's vehicles in the bays adjacent to the pitch and, after unloading*, vehicles will need to be parked up in the Campers Car Park. Site T&C's say that we can (where possible) have a maximum of two vehicles left up at the pitch ~ and they're already allotted on health grounds.

* unloading ~ not unloading, setting up, having a natter and then discovering that you're now blocked in

Helpful Info Section.
    This might seem to make our Meets seem to be overly regulated. Don't worry, they aren't ~ it's just our way of trying to preempt the very rare 'If we're not allowed to ..., why didn't it say so in the Meet thread?' excuse/reaction/comment.

In addition to the 'The 'Touchy Subject' bit:'.

Expected and appropriate behaviour.

Meets, in general, are very good natured, self regulating, events.

In the event that one or more attendees are found to be causing concern to others they may be required to leave the site immediately. Anyone found to be overly aggresive, excessively unruly, or are otherwise hostile to any site user in any form may be required to leave the site immediately. In the event that an issue is caused by a minor then the parent or loco parentis will be required to take them home. In the event that an issue is caused by a guest the member who issued their invite may also be required to leave.

In the event that a member or a guest has a known mental disability which might affect behaviour let us know and, where we can, we will adapt and make allowances. In the event that we don't know that someone has behavioural issues (potential or otherwise) and attendees are found to have been put at risk, the member, inviting member and/or their guest will be asked to leave with immediate effect.

If you see, experience or suspect something 'amiss' please speak out ~ we cannot help if we don't know.

EDITS.

Edits in this post will be highlighted in red and italicised.

The Leader Training Field and various facilities are marked in the pic below. The Red line marks the approximate route of the main track which leads to the main access point to the pitch.

I'm leaving both RED (for Leader Training) and BLUE (for PC11) routes on for both ease and for reference .

This is a child friendly site and your youngsters are welcome ~ please see 'Helpful info' below.

Helpful info
    :

The list isn't exhaustive - common sense applies. If in doubt, ask.
    • Any monies given (by individuals, groups, families etc) which is above the camping fees will be automatically considered to be a donation to Rough Close campsite to aid with site maintenance, site regeneration etc.
    • Forum members are responsible for themselves*, the kit they use and their own actions (and any non member accompanying them) at the Meet.* This includes meals and cooking. It is up to each registered member to make sure that they have enough suitable food for their stay and and also for planning/arranging for any replenishment if/as need be.
    • Under 18's must be accompanied by at least one parent or legal guardian.
    • You brought it in, you take it out – camping fees do not include a rubbish collection fee ~ The site's bin is the big orange/red thing in the Camper’s Car Park.
    • When visiting others, do not leave your rubbish in their pitch (or in a communal area) ~ take it with you and dispose of it yourself. The site's bin is the big orange/red thing in the Camper’s Car Park.
    • Please refrain from burning rubbish on a fire that's being used to cook on.
    • There is no communal bin in the Communal Area.
    • Responsible drinking of alcohol is ok – drugs are prohibited! Please don't walk through another groups pitch whilst drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
    • Please keep ‘colourful language’ reasonable and to a reasonable volume.
    • After unloading, vehicles need to be parked up in the Campers Car Park.
    • Wood fires must be raised and contained. Periodically there is a shortage of wood available to burn - if you want to cook on an open fire, bring a supply of wood or charcoal.
    • Due to changes in site policy, we cannot cut down standing dead wood. The same goes for green wood ~ damaged or not.
    • It would be wise to be carrying a torch before it gets dark! It could also be provident to put markers on your shelter so you can find it in the dark.
    • In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site; outstanding fees will still be owed.
    • Noise levels after 11 p.m need to be respectful of other campers desire to sleep at socially accepted hours.
    • Noise levels before 07:30 a.m need to be respectful of other campers desire to have a bit of a lie in.
    • Chopping (or cracking/snapping etc) wood at 'silly o'clock' is not acceptable. Please make sure that you prepare wood for the start of the next day well before dusk ~ and if you can't be sure, bring an alternative method of heating water/cooking.
    • Reading the info above the site map is a good idea .

The 'Touchy Subject' bit
    :

Because the site is, first and foremost, a Scout camp site, the only people we can't accommodate are those who would, purposely or otherwise, do harm to others. Primarily, this means that if you would be found unfit to adopt or foster a child then you can’t come along – same goes for anyone knowingly under investigation or having had an allegation made against them and is awaiting investigation.

It's fine if you want to
    :
    • be on your own
    • lay on your back looking at the sky, clouds, birds flying over etc
    • whittle
    • practice 'stuff' - except tree felling; the site has strong opinions about that
    • practice flora and fauna ID
    • so on and so forth ...
    This is, in no way, a bushcraft course and it's for you to make of it what you will.
    Copy and paste yada yada ...

Meet List
    :

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
    Last edited by decorum; 14-04-2012 at 21:20.
    Is this sausage dead yet?

Schroedinger's Scat ~ Whether you open the box or not, poop's gonna happen!

Nice one Phil.

Meet List
    :

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

decorum
    MartinK9
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" - George S. Patton, Jr

Yay - looks like I might actually be in the UK for this one!

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    Andy BB - subject to work

Quote Originally Posted by Andy BB View Post
    Yay - looks like I might actually be in the UK for this one!
    Ditto!

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    Ged - subject to all sorts of things

Blog Entries

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    Twodogs , TBC with my luck with meets lately
    Twodogs Wool bush shirt ,,,,you know you want one ......

Nice one.... I get to celebrate my birthday in the woods
    Sadly I couldn't wangle a pass out until the Tuesday as it's the little wifey's birthday on the 5th and she wants me home all day for some reason

Meet List
    :

decorum
    MartinK9
    Mesquite - Friday to the Monday
    Man of Tanith...
    I am allergic to..... veet for men, duct tape,handcuffs,hair dye,razors and
    all such things that can do unpleasant things to me

Meet List:

yep free that weekend, so up for it. Thanks Phil

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano

www.ice-raven.co.uk -Arctic adventures

Blog Entries

Rats - I am working that w/e!
    Mind you it is giving a bushcraft demo to the public....
    Have a great time folks!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world

i would be tempted but it is jakes first birthday and i know what i would get were i to suggest it......
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Karl82 (tbc)

I'd love to come but our Scouts annual camp starts that weekend. I'll just have to make do with a week in the Lake District

Hope you all have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by decorum View Post

In the event that a member or a guest has a known mental disability which might affect behaviour let us know and, where we can, we will adapt and make allowances. In the event that we don't know that someone has behavioural issues (potential or otherwise) and attendees are found to have been put at risk, the member, inviting member and/or their guest will be asked to leave with immediate effect.m
    Oh dear, do "they" mean "us" I'm not known not to have a "known mental disability" in some circles, and given that my life over the last 10 years or so has been predicated upon the improvement of the life chances of, and the popular understanding of people like me, I find the statement a little off putting. It makes me wonder whether I should be trusted with sharp objects or incendiary materials at all, never mind that the real danger is that I might be possessed with a tongue that is sharper than my knife. I did wander in to a rough close meet a little while back, not being able to spend the whole time there. I do trust that the only blood shed on that occasion was mine as my wise man of Gotham heritage showed itself in the foolishness of trying to carve a spoon with my SAK being as that is my EDC and I didn't have anything more suited on me at the time.

I am not sure if my diary is clear for those dates, but if it is I'll come for the duration this time. And don't worry I am not all that offended by the statement, just a bit embarrassed by it.

I have to drop out of this one I am off to Wales on this weekend now.

Meet List
    :

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Wayland and possibly Debs
    Wayland

_ _ _Wayland's World____________ Living a life less ordinary.

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    BareThrills subject to SWMBO permission slip

Meet List:

decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Priam + Sam (TBC) Friday PM till Tuesday
    Last edited by Priam; 16-05-2012 at 12:04.

Sean_F Guest

Putting my name down, and I'm looking forward to the weekend

Meet List:

Decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Priam + Sam (TBC)
    Sean_F

Three weeks to go ~ looks like it's going to be a quiet one

(Might sound like a complain, but it isn't )

Quote Originally Posted by decorum View Post
    Three weeks to go ~ looks like it's going to be a quiet one

(Might sound like a complain, but it isn't )

I'm looking forward to it Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK9 View Post
    I'm looking forward to it Phil.
    Me too ~ and I'm somewhat determined to be there for the whole time for this one

I've missed way too many of these due to work commitments, so I'm really looking forward to it! And will probably try tree-hanging for the first time too, so there should be plenty of entertainment value in that

Id like to but most likely working. Im in a new studio in congleton now, if anybody wants to visit for a tattoo!

Just editing to confirm im able attend for the whole meet now ive greased my wifes palm with silver for a break. Who said camping was cheap!!!

Meet List:

Decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    BareThrills Friday to Tuesday
    Priam + Sam (TBC)
    Sean_F

I'm house sitting over this weekend. Maybe next time

Decorum,
    My wrist operations are now healing well and I should like to attend at least part of this meet. I can't get there until Saturday morning and would like to arrive at 8- 8.30 if a) I can get access by car to drop off gear at that time and more importantly b) it won't be too early to disturb those already there? I should have to leave about the same time on Monday to make a lunchtime family thing.
    In the anticipation the foregoing is not a difficulty it will be my first Coventry meet in 3 years! So.......

Meet List:

Decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Priam + Sam (TBC)
    Sean_F
    Humpback (Sat to Mon)

"Went the day Well?"

Quote Originally Posted by Humpback View Post
    Decorum,
    My wrist operations are now healing well and I should like to attend at least part of this meet. I can't get there until Saturday morning and would like to arrive at 8- 8.30 if a) I can get access by car to drop off gear at that time and more importantly b) it won't be too early to disturb those already there? I should have to leave about the same time on Monday to make a lunchtime family thing.
    In the anticipation the foregoing is not a difficulty it will be my first Coventry meet in 3 years! So.......

Meet List:

Decorum
    MartinK9
    udamiano
    Priam + Sam (TBC)
    Sean_F
    Humpback (Sat to Mon)

Let us know when you arrive and I'll give you a hand to unload etc.

... I can't get there until Saturday morning
    No problem

...and would like to arrive at 8- 8.30
    No problem

a) I can get access by car to drop off gear at that time and more importantly
    No Problem

b) it won't be too early to disturb those already there?
    No problem, that time's fine

I should have to leave about the same time on Monday to make a lunchtime family thing.
    Again, no problem

As Martin said (and has kindly volunteered), there'll be folk around who are willing to help .

MartinK9 & Decorum
    Thanks for the very kind offer, (I might need some help with knots on my hammock kit) and much appreciated.
    Alan

"Went the day Well?"

Blog Entries

Decorum
    MartinK9
    Twodogs , Sunday onwards for me ,,,,yarrrrrrrrr
    udamiano
    Priam + Sam (TBC)
    Sean_F
    Humpback (Sat to Mon)
    Twodogs Wool bush shirt ,,,,you know you want one ......

As it's about a week off and none has mentioned it (Which could be due to lower numbers on this one ) ...

Sales / Trades / Swaps at the Meet :~

Sales / Trades / Swaps at the Meet are fine. The usual forum rules apply and are extended to cover the site and also to my self (unless I have a vested interest in the transaction).

We'll arrange a time and place at some point between Friday eve and Saturday morn.

Sales / Trades / Swaps List
    :

decorum: misc bits and bobs ~ but definitely some thermawrap (for pot cosy type DIY projects ~ link)
    Last edited by decorum; 24-05-2012 at 11:43.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast