Right, i have been reading one of my "survival" type books, and thought it would be good to have a "challenge", now the weather is a little better and plants are coming up...
the challenge will be to construct shelter and gather food for a sustained period of adleast 3 days and 2 nights.
there is a strict kit list which i will give towards the end of the post.
now for the rules...
1) First Aid Kit and mobile phone are free bleeding out or being desperately in need of rescue isnt good and to do so for bragging rights is silly.
2) As for clothing imagine what you would wear on a 1 day walk so good base mid a bit of warm kit (softey / snugpack etc etc ) pants and boots/socks anything over and above is not allowed.
3) The best 3 entrants will be picked by Myself and then put up in a poll, the winner will be the most voted for person.
4) Entrants would be picked on the basis of most done with least kit, ingenuity and sense of adventure.
5) The time limit will be untill the end of June to allow everyone time to get out and give it a go
6) Once the entrants have been picked the vote will go on for a week.
7) Proof WE need a picture of all kit laid out and a write up of the load out. extra pictures of items in use will earn extra points camera is a free item based on this rule
8) Entrants need to stay out for 2 night at least, longer trips with minimal kit could gain extra points
9) Anyone using natural shelters and generally sourcing materials i.e cordage etc would get more points
10) If you're a smoker you are allowed smokes but no lighter or matches, for non smokers Tea or Coffee is allowed but no sugar or milk.
11) Food is to be counted as emergency rations and are not to be used unless in an emergency
12)multiple entries are permitted and encouraged
13)a minimum of 4 miles to be walked each day, this is to make a more realistic situation of survival use of calleries
14) Have Fun but first and for most BE SAFE....Leave contact details and exact locations of where you are and for how long, the last thing we want is for someone to get hurt or worse.....
The kit list is as follows:-
1. clothes as per a normal day walking, (a wooley hat is permitted also)
2. set of waterproofs, top and bottom
3. outer jacket, any type you want
4. knife of your choosing
5. axe or heavy blade for chopping etc
6. 2 x survival bags, if you cant get them wheeley bin liner bags could be used, or foil blanket, or even a combination or the 2, which is what i plan to do
7. cooking pot (without a lid), crusader mug is ideal
8. 2 x plastic bags (any shop type Tesco style bag)
9. 5 meters of para cord or any non natural cordage
10. water bottle 1 liter, military type ideal
11. fire steel and striker if you wish (fero rod type)
12. survival tin (small tobacco tin with survival equipment of your choice)
13. Luxury item or Tea or Coffee or Smokes
(bold items emergencies only)
ID book for plants and trees
water (as some peoples permission has non at all)
daysack for emergency kit and sharps etc etc
please post interest in this thread and also your trip photo's and write ups in here too,
this will make it easier for myself to find it all when it is decision time.
any questions ask away.