Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A female bushcraft Facebook group

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    You can get pink Mora Knives from http://heri.se/produkter/421-rosa-morakniv.aspx.
    nice.
    there is also ka-bar doziers, for a (locking) pocket knife.
    they come with 2,25 and 3" blades.
    i have been thinking of getting my sister one.

Quote Originally Posted by BareThrills View Post
    I wasnt here and i didnt chuckle like a school boy at the name of the group
    same here most definatly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
    Now THAT is sweeeeet! A super share for the sisters, thanks very much, Steffen! And Drew.... You're one of our honorary male members, aintcha....
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy
    ....Nurse Ratchet is doing the drug rounds afore lunch and I'd better not annoy anyone with the power to order an enema....

Excellent!

I have female friends who love the idea of bushcrafting and wild camping but are worried about the feminine issues. They'd love to come along and join in but are put off by some of the practical (feminine) issues - that I cannot help them with.

Please ignore the schoolboy sniggers Turbogirl and put some practical advice and wisdom on this thread. It may alay a lot of fears/reservations and bring a few more ladies to sit with us by the campfire.

It's a damned good subject and worthy of a thread on this forum - even a sticky (Sod Facebook). Just as relevant as what knife to carry or how to start a fire by rubbing two boy-scouts together. The ladies need some down-to-earth practical advice on catering for their particular needs.

Illegitimi non carborundum! Go for it! And to hell with what us silly beggars say.

ATB Paul
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I have female friends who love the idea of bushcrafting and wild camping but are worried about the feminine issues. They'd love to come along and join in but are put off by some of the practical (feminine) issues - that I cannot help them with.

Please ignore the schoolboy sniggers Turbogirl and put some practical advice and wisdom on this thread. It may alay a lot of fears/reservations and bring a few more ladies to sit with us by the campfire.

It's a damned good subject and worthy of a thread on this forum - even a sticky (Sod Facebook). Just as relevant as what knife to carry or how to start a fire by rubbing two boy-scouts together. The ladies need some down-to-earth practical advice on catering for their particular needs.

Illegitimi non carborundum! Go for it! And to hell with what us silly beggars say.

ATB Paul
    Awww thx Paul I love that the lads welcome us here and to the meets and the giggles are all part of it But its hard to share the info on the main publicly accessible forum... some of the devices are enough to turn the most hardened hunters stomach, we've found that on the group and it's not the kind of info a lot of folk would like their children to read and start questioning about, thats why we're off forum based... the link should get anyone to the group, signed up to FB or not so you could pass them the link if that'd help?
    ....Nurse Ratchet is doing the drug rounds afore lunch and I'd better not annoy anyone with the power to order an enema....

I kindov understand your concern about what we say in front of the children. But for the rest I say 'Publish and be damned'!

The lads shouldn't be 'welcoming' you - you have every right to be there. Just don't expect special treament - other than catering for your special needs.

Tell 'em like it is girl! If it turns the hunters stomach he needs to get a grip on reality - and his stomach. It's life. You lot ain't the same as us lot. Vive la différence.

ATB Paul
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 16-04-2012 at 01:32.
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

the Sundaland paleotropics & W. Australia

I'm off to an aboriginal weekend of "women's work" - splitting rattan, weaving, foraging and plant ID, herbology. Seems to me that this is the heart of bushcraft.

Can I join the sisterhood?
    Last edited by BOD; 16-04-2012 at 13:41.
    "An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" M. K. Gandhi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BOD View Post
    I'm off to an aboriginal weekend of "women's work" - splitting rattan, weaving, foraging and plant ID, herbology. Seems to me that this is the heart of bushcraft.

Can I join
    That sounds brilliant!! And yes, we have quite a few honorary chaps.... Just jump on the link and send a join request, one of the admins should pick it up. There's quite a few links up there beyond just dedicated womens pertinant things, you'll be welcome, tell 'em you saw the BCUK thread

EDIT Theres quite a few members from international bushcrafting groups (SAfrica, Australias Southern Cross buschcrafters, American survivalists and preppers), tis an interesting facet to enjoy seeing the perspective and pictures from other continents

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    I kindov understand your concern about what we say in front of the children. But for the rest I say 'Publish and be damned'!

The lads shouldn't be 'welcoming' you - you have every right to be there. Just don't expect special treament - other than catering for your special needs.

Tell 'em like it is girl! If it turns the hunters stomach he needs to get a grip on reality - and his stomach. It's life. You lot ain't the same as us lot. Vive la différence.

ATB Paul
    Well said, sir!

I like a snigger as much as the next chap, but it's all in fun. Bushcraft is for people who like the outdoors. It has nothing to do with gender whatsoever.
    Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?

Hi i'm new on here, i spend loads of time in the woods on my own usually. i don't see what the big deal is about women being in the woods it's just a natural environment to be in irrespect of gender. I have a sheewee so i don't get my behind biten by midges or stung by nettles lol ( not cool), and a little trowel. i did find on my survival course that privacy can be hard in a hammock /tarp setup. if you're in a mixed group a tent might be a better option when you need to wash. i carry tampons all the time, they can be burn't on the fire. I prefer green products to pink as you see more of nature if your stealth, and freaks in the wood can't see you easily. My main concern is dogs not on leads, and badly behaved humans which you may run into. However i've had more dealings with idiots in the city centre than in the woods.

Blog Entries

Ohhh, a big warm BCUK welcome to you, Mistress!

I had a disaster with my shewee, it's gathering dust in disgrace under my bed but the blooming mozzies are making me think that I should try it again, most things are better than being bitten on the behind every time you answer the call :S

You heard of the mooncup instead of tampons? I'm afraid it didn't work for me (I'm one of the very rare folk who react to the material in them) but they're very handy if you're in a group and don't want to burn waste on the communal fire.

It's a real good point you got there about stealth in regards to the human element... I'm usually in a group so I hadn't thought about it but I'll be a lot more aware for the rare solitary camps I do!

Nothing wrong with Pink It was a boys colour till only about a hundred and a bit years ago as its a Derivative of Red which is Blood and considered Warrior male colour

Blue was the girls colour as blue is associated with the Virgin Mary

for some reason it all got switched in the victorian age

So are you big enough to wear pink Oh and with this even as a bolt action i can put 10rnds in a head size target in 40 seconds at 600yrds even with a pink Cammo jkt and dodgy hat

And custom pink is always available
    Hot Pink Kydex for sheaths and G10 for handles

This on even has red lipstick and an Hourglass figure

can even do accessories

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Nothing wrong with Pink It was a boys colour till only about a hundred and a bit years ago as its a Derivative of Red which is Blood and considered Warrior male colour
    Mod Edit. Family friendly forum.

I've got a pink shirt & never had any hassle wearing that, maybe it's my build / haircut / goatee beard that makes them think twice.

I would draw the line at waking up to a large expanse of pink in a morning though, something like someones tarp or a jacket would just be too jarring on the eye against the background of earthen tones around camp for me.
    Last edited by Graham_S; 12-07-2012 at 13:24.
    Being in the woods, in good company, takes me back to some of the happiest times of my youth.

Blog Entries

They're beautiful, even to a non-pinky I love pink on blokes with dark hair, I can see why it was a mans colour and it makes such good sense that blue was a traditional lasses colour as a mark of respect for the virgin. This forum drops it pearls of wisdom as always

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking Mistress View Post
    Hi i'm new on here, i spend loads of time in the woods on my own usually. i don't see what the big deal is about women being in the woods it's just a natural environment to be in irrespect of gender. I have a sheewee so i don't get my behind biten by midges or stung by nettles lol ( not cool), and a little trowel. i did find on my survival course that privacy can be hard in a hammock /tarp setup. if you're in a mixed group a tent might be a better option when you need to wash. i carry tampons all the time, they can be burn't on the fire. I prefer green products to pink as you see more of nature if your stealth, and freaks in the wood can't see you easily. My main concern is dogs not on leads, and badly behaved humans which you may run into. However i've had more dealings with idiots in the city centre than in the woods.
    I'm new here too and agree about cities - it's why I now live in the back of beyond :-). I'm glad to see a women's group here as it can feel slightly intimidating even at my advanced age! I asked to join on FB and am looking fwd to it.

Question - not yet tried a sheewee, are they really good and not uncomfortable? Would be useful at times, specially for not getting your bum bitten, although there seems to be no way round it for the shovel jobs. BTW how do blokes manage not to get their kit bitten in Scotland in August? I cannot believe tying a knot in it would work for long
    ... behind every gifted woman there is usually a rather talented cat ...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvestman View Post
    Hands up if you are male and still peeked at this thread
    yep dunno why but i hoped there would be some hot birds in dpm.............
    Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon.

All the women in my family tried the sheewee and hated it, same problem as getting a gas mask to work with a beard

Elen,

Never had a problem with midges and the loo, I think they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath, but I may be wrong.
    Fortunately for me I tend to be on the tops of hills when I am in the countryside so there is some wind to keep the midge away.
    Maybe that 'skin-so-soft' would be worth a try if you are really being bothered.
    Anyway no midges in Scotland until next year ... we had our first big dump of snow of the winter yesterday!

Later,

A

Quote Originally Posted by Inverherive View Post
    Elen,

Never had a problem with midges and the loo, I think they are attracted by the CO2 from our breath, but I may be wrong.
    Fortunately for me I tend to be on the tops of hills when I am in the countryside so there is some wind to keep the midge away.
    Maybe that 'skin-so-soft' would be worth a try if you are really being bothered.
    Anyway no midges in Scotland until next year ... we had our first big dump of snow of the winter yesterday!

Later,

A
    Lucky you :-). My butt was eaten alive in 30 seconds in the Cairngorms in Aug 2011! I must admit I had forgot to cover self with skin-so-soft before crawling out - brain fog brought on by urge to pee! That stuff certainly works for me. We were only half way up the hill at the time too ...

LOL - at gas mask with beard similie

OK, I'll continue to give it a miss and buy more skin-so-soft

near Oxford and Pyrenees-Oriental, France

Only because my wife told me to.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I have come up with a simple piddling thingy after getting a tick on my bottom while answering the call of nature on the black mountain wales. I have also come up with a natural insect repelant that is based on 150 year old canadian recipe (but mine smells better)

The piddling thing is a natural postion for women, it just shields your clothes and you from your environment, and the ticks within it.

Sure am, and i'm gonna keep cummin back for more
    Crime does not pay ... as well as politics. Alfred E. Newman.

Sounds good and I'd love to have the recipe for the insect repellent.

Long time lurker, first time posting...

I'd tend to be very wary of getting a vital piece of kit which has been subjected to the "shrink and pink" school of bad marketing to women. I can understand a smaller haft might perhaps be useful, but a smaller blade? How does that help exactly? Like Viking Mistress I much prefer my outdoor gear in muted colours -- with the exception of the First Aid kit! More worrying is the possibility that it's a gimmick with possible shortcuts on steel quality and tempering. You'll notice that on the original product quoted there is reference to charity donation but none to technical specification or hardness rating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
    yep dunno why but i hoped there would be some hot birds in dpm.............
    Oh I'm sure there are. They just haven't posted pictures of themselves.
    Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?

And if pink is not your colour how about this hand warmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elen Sentier View Post
    I'm glad to see a women's group here as it can feel slightly intimidating even at my advanced age! .....

Question - not yet tried a sheewee, are they really good and not uncomfortable? Would be useful at times, specially for not getting your bum bitten, although there seems to be no way round it for the shovel jobs. BTW how do blokes manage not to get their kit bitten in Scotland in August? I cannot believe tying a knot in it would work for long
    Ohhh Elen, I can't wait to meet you round a campfire On a serious note, I practiced diligently with the sheewee in the shower, perfected the art and the first time I tried to use it at a meet, the fly of my trousers forced the cup away and it all bucketed backwards into my boots And the mooncup caused me discomfort from a reaction to the latex. I don't have much luck

It's wonderful to see so many lasses joining up and getting out there, a huuuuge welcome to you all... I'm heading for my fifties so don't feel it's a young gals game. I prefer the meets because there's not many folk who will try to intimidate a lonesome lass for too long when they're being stalked by a crowd of her bush-brothers!

Whats the piddling thing, Xylaria? Midges love my offered behind, I must carbon dioxide from it too much!
    Last edited by TurboGirl; 29-10-2012 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGirl View Post
    Ohhh Elen, I can't wait to meet you round a campfire On a serious note, I practiced diligently with the sheewee in the shower, perfected the art and the first time I tried to use it at a meet, the fly of my trousers forced the cup away and it all bucketed backwards into my boots And the mooncup caused me discomfort from a reaction to the latex. I don't have much luck

It's wonderful to see so many lasses joining up and getting out there, a huuuuge welcome to you all... I'm heading for my fifties so don't feel it's a young gals game. I prefer the meets because there's not many folk who will try to intimidate a lonesome lass for too long when they're being stalked by stalked by a crowd of her bush-brothers!

Whats the piddling thing, Xylaria? Midges love my offered behind, I must carbon dioxide from it too much!

Looking fwd to meeting you too, Turbo (is that right? or should it be TG?). It has to be next spring-ish time but the bandages come off the feet tomorrow so I should at least be able to shower again. I'm now amongst the ranks of the OAPs but that doesn't stop me going outdoors.

I've now dumped all ideas of getting a shewee and bought another box load of skin-so-soft instead - at least my **** will smell delicious and hopefully asphixiate all midges.

Agree about the meets but I still love to be out alone on moors and mountains as well. It feels as though it will be good to share ideas with others who share the bushcraft bug, and learn from you all.

Turbo, my mind is now boggling at the potential ways you might CO2 from your butt !!!

Xylaria, do give out the recipe for the midge repellent as well as tell waht the piddling thing is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12