Alpkit

Thread: Tick control week,

Default Tick control week,

Just an interesting article and a reminder to check well and regularly, I use a 50% deet spray when sleeping out, around trouser hems\boot tops(it doesnt melt anything any more so no worries) have fun chaps,

Borreliosis and Associated Diseases Awareness UK

Woodlore article re Ticks

I picked up a passenger at the weekend. It looks like I've been hit with a paintball now.

Tick filled paintballs? surely the ultimate weapon!

I've been telling everyone that a lady did it so that I look like a right stud.

How come Deet doesn't melt steering wheels anymore Dave?

I'm a permethrin user myself
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

The original stuff was in a suspension that reacted V badly with plastic and some clothing materials, I think I still have a tee shirt that has the look of being moth eaten but the amount of deet that it was soaked it prior to a trip to South America any moths within a 30 meter radius would die( big bin full of a 90% mix to soak uniform and kit), iirc about ten years ago the majority of suppliers like life venture, jungle formula and ultrathon changed to a more oil based suspension to 1, stop the contact reaction and 2, increase the protective time between applications, I like permetherin, it and deet are two of those things that just work!

Sorry my bad, thought id check myself, its deet itself that is the solvent but the suspension its in inhibits the solvent properties

Another one for Permetherin, got a tick on my trouser leg that had permeth on them it fell off virtually straight away.

Its cracking stuf! I had some detail of some great new stuff for dogs, will dig it out.

I hate ticks. I've been pretty successful in avoiding them so far but that's because I keep everything buttoned down and belted up. The only times I've picked one or two up is when I have been squatting, er, attending the call of nature, so maybe some deterrent is worthwhile in those "delicate" moments