Alpkit

View Poll Results: Chairs?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • My niece got this from Shackletons you know

    18 38.30%
  • Make do

    29 61.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 52

Thread: To Chair or Not To Chair ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,971

    Default To Chair or Not To Chair ?

    Helloooo everyone,...

    not sure if this has been asked over and over,

    looking at some pictures of meets i seem to see more and more chairs,,..

    i just wondered how many of us carry a chair into the woods for a meet or prefer to feel a little "closer" to the place by either making or finding something that keeps you comfy,...

    i,m firmly in the NO CHAIR camp mainly because i feel if , once i,ve put the pack on and set off , a return to the truck for a chair or box of stuff would be "cheating",

    but that may be just personal to me as i like to live out of one bag and be able to walk a good few miles to my spot if needed.

    i,m going to try and apply a poll too so we can see at a glance where the balance is.

    cheers


    Stu,..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Witney, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    I dont take one in with me, usually find a log to sit on or a tree to prop myself on, however i do get jealous of people sitting comfortably around the fine in winter meets.
    "Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler" - Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    639

    Default

    at meets i always take a chair as it's only a short walk to the car and alot of the time is spent sat round chatting. on my own i use just the one bag and tend to sit on the floor. mostly cos i hike a good bit before i set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I think there's a right way and a wrong way to do things. When you get shot by a fox with your own rifle you're doing things wrong...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    S. Lanarkshire
    Posts
    26,835

    Default

    You missed the, 'it depends', option on the poll.
    If I've to carry it any distance, forget it. I'll just sit on a bit of waterproof fabric......you can get yards of cheap stuff meant to cover garden furniture for £1.
    If it's a settled weekender somewhere with loads of company and the blethering around the bushcraft tv, I'll take a chair.
    Actually, for the Moot, I headed to Tesco and just bought one to use there. I did eye up Cobwebs sticks and hessian sack one with some envy though, but the woods wouldn't survive us all taking enough for them if we did it every time we were out. Cobweb takes hers from home and reuses but that's just a different chair really I suppose. I can make the wee three legged stools, I can make the four logs hammered in and cross sparred, I can make the hammock chair, but it's the same necessity to cut down to make them.

    So, it depends where and when and how long, tbh.

    cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    You missed the, 'it depends', option on the poll.
    If I've to carry it any distance, forget it. I'll just sit on a bit of waterproof fabric......you can get yards of cheap stuff meant to cover garden furniture for £1.
    If it's a settled weekender somewhere with loads of company and the blethering around the bushcraft tv, I'll take a chair.
    Actually, for the Moot, I headed to Tesco and just bought one to use there. I did eye up Cobwebs sticks and hessian sack one with some envy though, but the woods wouldn't survive us all taking enough for them if we did it every time we were out. Cobweb takes hers from home and reuses but that's just a different chair really I suppose. I can make the wee three legged stools, I can make the four logs hammered in and cross sparred, I can make the hammock chair, but it's the same necessity to cut down to make them.

    So, it depends where and when and how long, tbh.

    cheers,
    Toddy
    feel free to add the 3rd option Mary,...

    i never really thought about it,......but, even if i,m next to the car, and staying the week,.....a chair is still a no no for me.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    My chair is my hammock, or a foam mat against a rock or tree stump.

    One day, I'll get round to making a 'Jerry Chair/pack cover'

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=jerry+chair

    At the last meet, I took my fishing chair and my back really appreciated it.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir



    Pete.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainham, Kent
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    I always take a folding chair with me and usually get loads of grief for it, about how unmanly it is to be out in the woods with a nice chair, but yet every time I get up and go for a wander some cheeky git nicks my seat and wishes theyd bought one too. I can rough it but prefer to be comfortable and my joints dont complain as much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canonbie - Scotland
    Posts
    6,212

    Default

    i bought a swedish ergolife fold up chair and got all excited. but 2 years of operations on me erse means iv never been able tae try it out yet! but in the past iv always hated having tae squat or find a log or rock tae sit on so the wee ergolife seems decent enough

    Hamish

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    S. Lanarkshire
    Posts
    26,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raikey View Post
    feel free to add the 3rd option Mary,...

    i never really thought about it,......but, even if i,m next to the car, and staying the week,.....a chair is still a no no for me.

    Bet you're one of those lean, lang dreeps who can sit on his hunkers for hours
    I'm a little, very round, lady these days and sitting like that's a no-no. I'd rather stand or find a bit to lie down

    cheers,
    M

    Lean, lang, dreep.......tall, slender, kind of drapes himself comfortable on anything
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    your house!
    Posts
    11,005

    Default

    No chair! No pipes! No singing under my tarp.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selby
    Posts
    8,718
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    My chair is similar to this:


    Folds down very small and flat and keeps you off the wet floor if a log/stump can't be found.
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
    William Blake

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    barnsley
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Car camping - yes, cheap folding thing with a beer holder !

    Carrying my own stuff - No way !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    1/4 mile from Bramley End.
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    My chair is similar to this:


    Folds down very small and flat and keeps you off the wet floor if a log/stump can't be found.
    Mine is the National Trust/Boots version which works well on canoe trips as it really does pack to a small size.
    Got two from ebay £4.99 and £5.50 last year - there are often several to choose from - as new.
    Alan

    "Went the day Well?"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    209

    Default

    to chair defo


    but to carry or not to carry.... im not to carry so its a catch 22

    like the look of that one ^^ looks a bit flimsy for my bulk though

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Selby
    Posts
    8,718
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZEbbEDY View Post
    to chair defo


    but to carry or not to carry.... im not to carry so its a catch 22

    like the look of that one ^^ looks a bit flimsy for my bulk though
    I weight in at 15st and mine is strong enough.
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
    William Blake

  16. #16

    Default

    Depends for me to. No reason to be uncomfortable if its a short walk from the car.

    Given the amount of sitting around and chatting that occurs at the meets its nice to have one... And like SimonD said when you wander off you can guarantee someone will be keeping it warm for you.

    I'd like to make one out of canvas that hangs on a tripod, that I can pack away into an ruck sack.



    Sent via mind bullets, beware the ricochet.
    My instagram pics with lots of outdoorsy and work related images

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,855

    Default

    Not that I really do meets but if I'm base camping for a few days then I'll probably take one, I sometimes just use my food box though on canoe trips.

    For trips anywhere on foot I don't bother, I'll just take a section of mat to sit on.
    Rich

    www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

    Heading North - my trip blog

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    570

    Default

    When canoeing, I just sit on one of these…..



    or general camping, I turn my Therma-rest into a chair…...


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    16,978
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I cannot walk too far these days so multiple trips to the vehicle are within the ethos for me and I will often take a comfy chair, or use my food box BUT on the site I use most I can safely leave some kit in place and then I use my home made chair - even more bushy than sitting on a stump/thermarest/foodbox lounger IMHO.
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post
    I cannot walk too far these days so multiple trips to the vehicle are within the ethos for me and I will often take a comfy chair, or use my food box BUT on the site I use most I can safely leave some kit in place and then I use my home made chair - even more bushy than sitting on a stump/thermarest/foodbox lounger IMHO.
    John!!!

    thats a throne!!!!!

    All hail King John,..hahah (was he the crazy one?)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I don't carry a chair, but I replaced the stiffener in my rucksack with a trifold of closed cell foam. It's only been used a couple of times, it's mainly there for first aid purposes if I need to protect someone from the cold ground. In general it's just too much hassle to get it out and back in again.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    16,978
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raikey View Post
    John!!!

    thats a throne!!!!!

    All hail King John,..hahah (was he the crazy one?)
    Kneel when you say that - serf!
    King John was not mad - he was the one who lost his crown jewels( ) in the wash - I never use cheap laundry services myself.....
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,855

    Default

    Didn't you have two chairs John?
    Last edited by Shewie; 26-03-2012 at 18:09.
    Rich

    www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

    Heading North - my trip blog

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raikey View Post
    <snip> i,m firmly in the NO CHAIR camp mainly because i feel if , once i,ve put the pack on and set off , a return to the truck for a chair or box of stuff would be "cheating" <snip>
    My thoughts exactly. When I'm at a meet I prefer to get everything in one go. If it can't be carried in one go then it's cheating somehow. Make do or do without.

    This last weekend I did about four trips to the car though, as I had the boys with me!

    Rat

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    16,978
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Didn't you have two chairs John?
    True

    or did you mean the third ... the multi purpose chair/table/firewood pile that went to fulfill its third job when I sat on it too hard?

    Last edited by John Fenna; 26-03-2012 at 18:38.
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North of Bennachie and a bit to the right, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    It would depend if I was near the car or not and how long I was out for. If its for meets and bushmoots then yes I do take one, but if it was a bit of a walk I would either make do with a stump/hammock/ground (on a mat) or build a chair when I got there if I was staying for a while.
    I don't see it as cheating personally.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post

    or did you mean the third ... the multi purpose chair/table/firewood pile that went to fulfill its third job when I sat on it too hard?

    That's the one

    I miss that place
    Rich

    www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

    Heading North - my trip blog

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Here's mine.



    I sleep on a short thermarest as well and this goes under my legs.
    Hoodoo

    . . . deliverance will not come from the rushing, noisy centres of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. - Fridtjof Nansen

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world
    Posts
    9,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southey View Post
    No chair! No pipes! No singing under my tarp.
    i do two of those
    chair and pipe on meets as its about comfort specially over several days
    just pipe when i walk to the permission but thats cause its a pointless exercise carrying a chair for one night i feel
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

    If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by man_of_tanith View Post
    i do two of those
    chair and pipe on meets as its about comfort specially over several days
    just pipe when i walk to the permission but thats cause its a pointless exercise carrying a chair for one night i feel
    What about the singing?....

    maybe a spot of poetry? made up on the spot?......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •