Alpkit
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bush Hat

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Thats incorrect I'm not that bothered TBH I genuinely wanted to know what constitutes a 'bush hat' is it a style or generically something worn while in the bush...
    So exactly how is this NOT asking what's the definition?

... It's not paying the mortgage and folk are still dying from starvation somewhere or other...

...What I'm clear on is this folk like to dress up to pursue their chosen hobby that's fine and what you wear on your head doesn't really matter that much...
    So you don't count professionals such as farmers, ranchers, loggers, guides, etc. After all is said and done those are the true bushcrafters. The rest of us are basicly imitating them (or being nostalgic about our younger lives); and as you said, "...that's absolutely fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Prawnster View Post
    I think people are getting beanie hats and boonie hats mixed up.

Yep you're right.......I meant boonie hats.

So a beanie ( which is a sort of modern term for a wooly hat) could be classified as a bush hat. But when a cap is mentioned

So a cap does not offer enough shade but a beanie (wooly hat) does??

I thought what you were saying was a 'bush hat' is one of those leather or felt hats folk wear out in the Aussie outback a la Man From Snowy River or the bush tucker man. Or a boonie or jungle hat type thingy.

But a beanie clearly doesn't meet that criteria.

Oops..sorry johnboy for causing such confusion, I was in fact refering to Boonies & not Beanies.......I'm off to the stocks now to be pelted with rotten tomatoes..

Quote Originally Posted by blacktimberwolf View Post
    Incidently the term " air cavalry' amused me....didn't know the pilots wrode horses in their cockpits.
    In military history, there are numerous weird amalgams like this. "Mounted infantry" used to amuse me - but its logical. It refers to infantry who ride to battle but fight on foot.

Actually airborne cavalry would logically be a side gunner (i.e. to be cavalry you need to fight from your "ride"). Logically the "airborne cavalry" are really "airborne infantry" unless the helos transport their fighting vehicles for them - at which point they would indeed logically be "airborne cavalry". Our own Household cavalry now fight from light armoured vehicles - if those were transported into theatre by big Chinooks - shazam - airborne cavalry.

[/nerd]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

A hat is a hat is a hat,if you like it wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemerle View Post
    a hat is a hat is a hat,if you like it wear it!
    Can i get a AAAAY-MEN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    In military history, there are numerous weird amalgams like this. "Mounted infantry" used to amuse me - but its logical. It refers to infantry who ride to battle but fight on foot.
    [/nerd]
    Dragoons

I know what you mean about the weird amalgams. I spent most of my early years living on military bases in one place or another. They have a language of their own.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

Indeed - but only since the sixteenth century properly speaking. Much earlier there was true mounted infantry in the Celtic / Saxon period and earlier. Which makes complete sense since there were no stirrups in Western Europe until the 8th or ninth century (although they were present in China and brought west by the likes of the huns). Can't be much fun fightin from horseback with basic tack and no stirrups!

Errrm...thread drift
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Indeed - but only since the sixteenth century properly speaking. Much earlier there was true mounted infantry in the Celtic / Saxon period and earlier. Which makes complete sense since there were no stirrups in Western Europe until the 8th or ninth century (although they were present in China and brought west by the likes of the huns). Can't be much fun fightin from horseback with basic tack and no stirrups!

Errrm...thread drift
    Not to mention mounted longbowmen.

If you go back still earlier the stirrup may have been pointless as horses were smaller and there is some debate as to whether they could take the weight of a full-grown man. The military use may have been confined to chariots or load-bearing carts.

Thread drift? What on earth gives you that idea?
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

Actually airborne cavalry would logically be a side gunner (i.e. to be cavalry you need to fight from your "ride"). Logically the "airborne cavalry" are really "airborne infantry" unless the helos transport their fighting vehicles for them - at which point they would indeed logically be "airborne cavalry"...
    Actually no. The Airborne Cav has helos with door gunners but an actual helicopter assault is done by the assault copters (Apache, Cobra, etc.) with only a pilot and co-pilot/WSO. These aircraft don't carry door guuners, infantry, or cargo of any kind but use mounted guns/missiles fired by the pilot and/or WSO; they attack in formation in an assault mode very, very much like a mounted cavalry charge.

Thus the difference between "Air" Cavalry and "Airborne" Cavalry. For that matter the proper term (ARmy term) for the latter you describe is "Heliborne" as "Airborne" is reserved for troops delivered by parachute(although most, if not all, Air Cav units belong to the 101st Airborne Div.) The current Marine Corps term for it is "Helicast" whereas the older Marine Corps term was "Vertical Envelopment."

Here's a link showing most of these applications: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/844927...ack_helicopter The first minute shows the assault/cav mode while the remainder shows various modes of helicopter attack: heliborne, search and destroy, etc. Mostly Army helos but a few Marine ones, and I even saw at least one Air Force Pavehawk.
    Last edited by santaman2000; 15-03-2012 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    Actually no. The Airborne Cav has helos with door gunners but an actual helicopter assault is done by the assault copters (Apache, Cobra, etc.) with only a pilot and co-pilot/WSO. These aircraft don't carry door guuners, infantry, or cargo of any kind but use mounted guns/missiles fired by the pilot and/or WSO; they attack in formation in an assault mode very, very much like a mounted cavalry charge.
    Ahh makes sense then as cavalry - ours tend to "ride" mechanised ground vehicles. But they are not "air cavalry"

Think the hats are cool too

Here's a few links ror those of you who wear a brimmed hat and want to dress it up or personalize it:

www.neokistomi.com/hatbands.html

www.wholesalebeaded.com/beaded-bands-c-11.html

www.hawksbeadwork.com/site/703669/page/384595 \

Even if some of you might want to make your own, these links might give you some design ideas.
    Last edited by santaman2000; 17-03-2012 at 01:41.

A cap is sort od a jarmulke with a piece of cardboard attatched.
    A hat has a brim all around .
    Last edited by oetzi; 23-03-2012 at 21:15.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Cardboard? That would be a very CHEAP cap.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234