Alpkit

Thread: Full registered member?

Default Full registered member?

How long does it take until a new user becomes a member? I seem to be restricted in almost everything I can see? I cant see profiles (including my own) my topic replies dont seem to post and I cant subscribe to threads etc? I also cant see pictures uploaded directly to the forum?

Is this what I should expect?

Doris (Matt)

As a full member (you pay) you'll only get access to the members only section and be able to make new threads in the for sale section.
    I think your profile may be experiencing problems - can you message (PM) one of the Mods?
    And many strokes, though with a little axe,
    Hew down and fell the hardest-timber'd oak.

10 posts is the critical number. Once you get there many more things are available. Take a look at the FAQs - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53527
    “If the apple won't fall - go shake the tree.”
    ― Isaac Newton

10 posts will lift most restrictions, you will need to subscribe if you want to upload direct from your computer, you can still link to pics though. So use a pic hosting site fo the while.

Well that explains all the error messages.

I think I'll post this thread for Admin to have a look.
    Maybe the details need added to the Rules and Guidelines that we ask folks to agree to before they join.

We had, and still would have, a dreadful problem with spammers trying to sneak in as new members. I won't go into detail, but the new set up has cut their numbers and made a huge difference to the Mod workload.
    The unfortuate side effect is that it's causing confusion and irritation for a few, genuine, new members.

Welcome to the forum Gonk That's a long while to wait for a Hello!

cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

tortoiseandhare Guest

Does this mean that I need to make 10 posts in order to make my own thread? What an odd system.

No, it's a very good system, and this is only one small part of it.
    Before it was implemented the Mods removed several dozen spammers a day, sometimes a heck of a lot more and that meant manually removing every one of their (insert sweary words of choice x multiple options) posts too.

The forum has literally millions of hits a month, the statistics are kind of intimidating sometimes.

cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    No, it's a very good system, and this is only one small part of it.
    Before it was implemented the Mods removed several dozen spammers a day,
    cheers,
    Toddy
    Probably a good idea if you see the number of spammers that come up on bushcraftliving.co.......

Spammers should be efficiently electrocuted by their own thrice damned keyboards

Mostly these days they're just trying to get folks to link to their sites or buy stuff from them, but when I first started modding there were very occasional posts that would have sickened a sadist
    I think the net as a whole has cleaned up a lot of those kind of things; isp's and the like take a dim view of some of the non family friendly stuff nowadays, especially once the police get involved.

It makes you wonder though, just what do they think in any of their mince would be of interest to folks on bushcraft sites

We're kind of fortunate here, there are enough Mods and Admins to catch stuff relatively quickly, even if most of us are off doing something elsewhere, there's usually someone around.
    We are also blessed with a very pro-active membership who give us heads up when they spot sommat dodgy it's appreciated

cheers,
    Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by tortoiseandhare View Post
    Does this mean that I need to make 10 posts in order to make my own thread? What an odd system.
    No you don't need to make 10 posts before you can start your own thread. For instance, if you go the the Welcome & Introductions forum you'll find you can start a thread (button on the top left, under the Alpkit add).

The 10 posts are an extra security measure to filter out those who are up to no good.
    Johan

Click for: BushcraftUK FAQ's |Photo posting tutorial| Become a Full Member, Maker (+) or Trader |Facebook

Vive sine paenitentia

12. Default

So...just to clarify, in order to post something in the for sale section I have to pay? Thanks

Welcome to the forum

Click on the link in Ahjno's signature line on becoming a Full Member.

When you have paid your subscription you are able to sell some personal stuff on the site.

Cheers

George
    'It's as messy as a shark eating a pancake.’ - My son Finlay

Bushcraft Days My Adventure Blog