Alpkit
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Moot - olympic theme input wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey DaPikey View Post
    Liking the catty run and shoot idea
    Nothing to stop us making it better by throwing in archery (3 arrows, random bow, no practice shots) into the event. So maybe two slingshot plinks, 100 metres apart. One from 25 ft and the other 50 ft. Then run 50 mtrs, archery. Then another 50 mtrs, slingshot 25 ft from prone position (lyin on yer belly). Then a 100 mtr dash to the finish. Total time, plus penalties for misses. Fiver into the pot, winner takes all.
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    Nothing to stop us making it better by throwing in archery (3 arrows, random bow, no practice shots) into the event. So maybe two slingshot plinks, 100 metres apart. One from 25 ft and the other 50 ft. Then run 50 mtrs, archery. Then another 50 mtrs, slingshot 25 ft from prone position (lyin on yer belly). Then a100 mtr dash to the finish. Total time, plus penalties for misses. Fiver into the pot, winner takes all.

What the proverbials are you trying to do us Eric, kill us all off??

There is no way in my current state of health and extremely poor physical condition I could do all of that
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Blog Entries

5 months to get fit

I was thinking the other day about bush furniture making and a camp break competition for the tastiest loaf...
    Tone
    Explore : Discover : Achieve
    The most important thing is not 'who's right' but rather 'what's right'

Tickets for the 2014 BushMoot available here...

Visit our pages and Sites : : Facebook : : Pinterest : : BushMoot : :

I will make an excellent spectator!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

North of Bennachie and a bit to the right, Aberdeenshire

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    Nothing to stop us making it better by throwing in archery (3 arrows, random bow, no practice shots) into the event. So maybe two slingshot plinks, 100 metres apart. One from 25 ft and the other 50 ft. Then run 50 mtrs, archery. Then another 50 mtrs, slingshot 25 ft from prone position (lyin on yer belly). Then a 100 mtr dash to the finish. Total time, plus penalties for misses. Fiver into the pot, winner takes all.
    I dont think I would get very far in that, trying to convert between metres and feet everytime.

Sounds good though but not sure about money, can we use chocolate instead?

Bannock bake off with a twist? The twist being that you have to find the ingredients, bring them back and the first one to make a bannock and/or passes the taste test wins?

tarp erection races
    hammock errection races
    hammock and tarp like wayland sets up erection races
    drinking games (or a usual night in naughty corner)
    ring of fire throwing i,e you make a dream catcher each person and the person to then throw it the highest in the air wins

Iron Man Triathlon in Teams.

Team members graded from Instructor/Expert to Novice.

No tools or tinder allowed other than those made on site.

Fire has to be lit by one of the novice team members (via training from the others).

Shelter (or shelters) built by team and spend the night in them.

Water food and pot Allowed.

Bonus points for collecting water & food.
    Old enough to NOT know better.
    Life can be thought to infinity in a second, but can only be lived one foot in front of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post

What the proverbials are you trying to do us Eric, kill us all off??

There is no way in my current state of health and extremely poor physical condition I could do all of that
    But you don't have to do it fast. Anyway, there will probably be an old codgers section for thee, me and Fenna. We'll be allowed to walk/hobble and have people at waystations giving us Jura as we pass.
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    5 months to get fit

I was thinking the other day about bush furniture making and a camp break competition for the tastiest loaf...
    The camp bread competition would have to be all in plain view, otherwise someone is going to buy a crusty loaf from Lidl and stick it in their dutch oven to get warm. The bush furniture comp sounds good.

What about a thrilling mix of firelighting, archery skills and a cooking contest.
    A team will be needed of 3 men or women, the first will light a fire as soon as possible, then the fire is used to ignite an arrow and with that arrow a bail will have to be shot at a range of ( input your thoughts here) then a torch lit by the fire from the bail will have to be carried to a cooking spot, all cooking their own special meal. The activities will all get their separate rating, and will be judged on time and quality, fire lighting only on time, archery on the time it took and the number of shots fired, and cooking on taste, originality, and speed. For this there will have to be a board of judges but hey I already heard we have some willing spectators, and now they will even be granted a meal ^^
    How would you like that John ^^

Yours sincerely Ruud

Perhaps its a good idea to do the Flaming arrows part on a sand dune ^^

Blog Entries

he he, as I was reading through that I pictures the forest with flaming arrow whistling (maybe roaring) past people...all in the name of fun
    Tone

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    he he, as I was reading through that I pictures the forest with flaming arrow whistling (maybe roaring) past people...all in the name of fun
    ... and why ever not Tony ? You know what they say ... "It's all good fun until someone gets hurt ... then it becomes hilarious !"

I've just made a new catty that puts .36" lead balls right through Ikea's finest chipboard (about 20mm thick) at 10 paces .... Not tried mints yet. Don't know if they'd take the G-force
    If it's not sharp, it's just a piece of metal.

www.longstrider.co.uk is now up and running

I'm up for an olympic chill-out competition. The person who does the least over the 2 weeks wins.
    A homeless man is just a hardcore bushcrafter...

Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    I've just made a new catty that puts .36" lead balls right through Ikea's finest chipboard (about 20mm thick) at 10 paces .... Not tried mints yet. Don't know if they'd take the G-force
    Aniseed balls work well with a catty using theraband gold.

Group cordage rope tensile test. Time limit on construction etc. Or something on those lines ..

Blog Entries

yeah, good one
    Tone

So who is bringing the deadly weaponry ^^, you cant have fun without the risk of people getting seriously injured now can you.
    But no seriously some great ideas out there really like the Iron man challenge described by Swallow
    Team members graded from Instructor/Expert to Novice.

No tools or tinder allowed other than those made on site.

Fire has to be lit by one of the novice team members (via training from the others).

Shelter (or shelters) built by team and spend the night in them.

Water food and pot Allowed.

Bonus points for collecting water & food.
    But perhaps a bit less long term challenge ** giggles slightly as the evil plans rise again** Perhaps something with doom chaos and fire.
    yours sincerely Ruud

all good fun, but seriously lets not do any fire flinging challenges in dry woodland ^^

Blog Entries

we can reserve them for the beach
    Tone

Ski jumping

Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker bob View Post
    Ski jumping
    Yea, on water skis. Wait till the tide's in, ski down the sand dunes and see how far you get out onto the water before you drown.

Man knitting 15 inches of paracord in a cobra knot? Fastest wins.

Chasing, wrestling to the ground and then shaving John Fenna's beard off. We'll skip the branding part for fear of upsetting the kids.

Wellie toss. Bit like shot put but with a wellie boot.

There's a whole raft of games I used to take part in at biker rallies.

Dizzy sticks, Spinning around a fixed pole for a number of times and then running in a straight line from A to B

horizontal bungee crawl. Basically looping inner tubes together last one staked to the ground and the other end around the contestants waist. The contestant has to crawl against the elastic and place a marker to the further point before getting twanged back.

Six-legged race with the middle person facing backwards.

I'm sure some more ideas could be thought up with a bit of searching online for party games

Default dissy sticks

Dissy sticks is only good biker if u play it when pissed cos then it gets entertaining big style but please note people have broken arms ,and legs playing this game when sober never mind drunk so yes it can be entertaining and its proper name by all accounts is
    **** faced why cos u are ment to play in groups of three and before all gamers takes there go they have to neck a jug of some alcoholic drink before hand and the winners are the ones who get to the destination from were they are spinning round sticks so then
    The winner from the first three goes to a a semi final of all the winners from each set of three that played then that group is split in to threes and it starts again till u are left with a final of just three and then a winner who u guessed it is **** faced

Point taken Drew... but look at it as a chance for the first aiders to get in some practice

Blog Entries

Drew, watch your language mate
    Tone

Paper plane folding and throwing

Hoopla

Obstacle course

Discus (using paper plates or frisbees)

Archery
    Atlatl Throwing
    Running races or all sorts, including distance races, three legged races, egg and spoon races, sack races and relay races!
    Obstacle course
    High jump and/or long jump
    Backwards Crab Walk
    Blind(folded) Leapfrog
    Limbo
    Plant/Tree Identification
    Log Choping
    Shelter Building
    Fire Making
    Make a Tony Birthday Cake
    You've reached the edge of the map my friend, here be Wales

https://www.facebook.com/BushcraftUK

Link to My Wooden Spoons Gallery

Driving 6 or 4 inch nails into a board or log. Fewest blow's win's.
    Colin.

I am not young enough to know everything.
    Oscar Wilde

Fastest knife sharpening? from blunt to razor sharp (then shave a beard or two off) fastest wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lister View Post
    Fastest knife sharpening? from blunt to razor sharp (then shave a beard or two off) fastest wins.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility:
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48343

If we need mint imperials for catapult ammo then I can get 3kg trade for less than £10! Aniseed balls would be a little more. The cheapest would be 3kg of jelly beans at less than £7 but then they just don't seem to have the penetration or aerodynamics!!!

If we use standard bean cans for targets then that should present enough of a challenge. Points could be awarded for either speed or the number of shots it takes to clear say five cans.

We could have a catapult field course like they do for Field Archery. It could consist of different distances, targets and obstacles to shoot around, under, over or from. I can even borrow steel mini popper targets that are hinged if you want to get really flash. They are about the size of a one litre bottle. I could even set up a catapult night shoot.

I would be willing to run and score it. I guarantee it would be really fun and I'd provide a prize.

Phil
    Last edited by Midnitehound; 13-04-2012 at 06:08.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast