Alpkit

Thread: Laminated blades for sale

Default Laminated blades for sale

I've got a few laminated blades left over from last summer's show season and I thought I'd offer them here. They aren't on offer anywhere else, so if you don't buy one from here then you will have to wait until the next show season (which is rapidly approaching!).

The photo really doesn't do any of them justice

Spec:

#1 Whittling blade (mild steel with O1 core) scandi ground but not honed (easier to do when handled) 2 1/2" edge, 4" OAL, 3mm thick £30 SOLD

#2 Mild steel with EN42J core, full flat groung and ready sharp 3 1/2" edge, 7" OAL, 3.5mm ish thick £50 SOLD

#3 As for #2 3 1/2" edge, 7" oal, 4mm ish thick SOLD

#4 7 layer blade, with mild steel and CS70 on the sides of an EN42J core. full flat ground and sharp 5 3/4" edge, 10"OAL, 5mm thick £70 SOLD

#5 Damascus blade of 60ish layers, O1 and 15N20, full flat ground and sharp. 3 3/4" edge, 9" oal, 4mm thick (with nice distal taper to about 1.5mm £100 SOLD

I'll post up dimensions in the morning I may be suffering from insomnia tonight but SWMBO is not and the blades are in her bedroom somewhere!

All prices include 1st class postage costs (or RMSD on #4 and #5) and PP fees

thanks folks

here's another pic of #4 as it has a false edge to the tip that isn't obvious
    Last edited by Dave Budd; 31-05-2012 at 18:22. Reason: updating solds
    Man up Princess! dave budd handmade toolsTools, knives, blacksmithing Also, courses in all of the above

As Kepis said... you're a git Mr Budd... you shouldn't be tempting us poor people like that

That Damascus blade is a real beauty
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Hi have to tempt you, I'm poor too and this is how I pay the bills! Most of you lot have jobs so you can buy shinies
    Man up Princess! dave budd handmade toolsTools, knives, blacksmithing Also, courses in all of the above

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Is #1 stamped dave? Or is that a smithsmudge? (I just made that word up btw)
    "That's OK, I think everyone should have an Iron Allowance" - Dave Budd

#1 isn't stamped i'm afraid, there was no space!

What's the measurements Dave? enquiring minds need to know.

Can I take #1 please Dave pm sent

Ah! I was waiting on dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by mrcairney View Post
    Ah! I was waiting on dimensions
    sorry Steve, forgot my manners You showed first interest, so if the dimensions are right for you when Dave posts you can have first dibs and i'll have seconds

Mike

thanks Mike, if it's too wee for my aims I'll bow out gracefully. I Better PM the Budd to avoid any more confusion!

right the whittler is 4" overall and has an edge of 2 1/2". Normally I have a few of about this size around, but this is the last in the house (may have a couple in the workshop needing grinding?)

I started replying to pms before I read this post, so if you gents could work out who is having this blade and let me know I will see what I have in the workshop tomorrow

thanks folks

I'll edit OP with dimensions now

things happen fast when they happen

The carving blade goes to......

KodiakJoe! You have pm Mike :

all sorted and...

HI Dave.
    No.4 appears to have my name on it please.
    PM sent.
    Cheers , Simon
    When I die tell my wife to sell my knives for what they are worth : not what I told her I paid for them.

I'll take No.2 please Dave - hopefully the Mrs. won't see this!
    Please help SAVE one of the last true market towns in Britain from supermarket development!

Save Ulverston!

Plastic Ninja, I've put your name on #4 and replied to your PM

Adze, I've put you down for #2 and pm is on its way

thanks folks

Thanks Dave - paypal sent. Really looking forward to it
    Please help SAVE one of the last true market towns in Britain from supermarket development!

Save Ulverston!

#4 is sold and will be on it's way tomorrow to a loving new home, where it will find a nice handle a sheath to spend the rest of its life with.

Just #3 and #5 looking for homes now

Is no 5 the blade I saw(drooled over) when I was down over the summer? It was mightily pretty! Alas no cash around at the mo. Still not forgot to do the promised write up just been mightily busy, all will be explained when I do!
    fat people are harder to kidknapp

Hi Dave, blade arrived safe and sound today - it's absolutely exquisite! Going to have to think quite carefully about handle and sheath to do it justice methinks.

Cheers!

Save Ulverston!

Arrived safe and sound today Dave.
    Stunning blade which leaves me wondering if I can do it justice in wood and leather.
    Cheers , Simon
    When I die tell my wife to sell my knives for what they are worth : not what I told her I paid for them.

Glad you like the blades chaps and I'm sure you will do them proud

Don't forget to post pictures of the finished articles!

I've found a lovely silvery lump of bog oak for the handle which will be big enough for my
    huge paws but I'm seeking advice.
    Am I ok to keep the oak in one piece for strength and cut a slot in one side for the tang?
    My idea is to cut the slot and fit the handle with epoxy and three pins and a lanyard tube.
    I will then fill the open slot with epoxy and bronze powder and carve the handle to fit me.
    Am I ok to drill the tang on this blade to make this work?It seems like a good idea to me
    now but will be difficult to undo if it goes pear shaped.
    What think you?
    Simon

its a different approach to fitting a stick tang, but it should work. Normally you would drill a hole up the length of the wood and then burn/rasp/saw/chisel a slot for the tang to fit in (you don't need to use the full length of tang). I've seen some people saw the block down the centre and carve a channel for the tang before gluing (and sometimes pinning) it back together, this leaves a seam down the middle of the block that can either be left barely visible or made a feature of with a liner of some sort (this is a bit like a mortice construction).

As for drilling the tang, you should have no trouble but if you do then try heating that area with a blowtorch for a while to normalize it further (I draw the temper from the tangs, but sometimes you need to heat a bit higher to a dull red). Make sure you protect the blade from the heat with a wet rang or couple of bits of metal clamped on to keep it cool.

Thanks Dave.I think I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.
    Watch this space.
    Simon

That Damascus looks mighty fine!
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. John Muir

why thank you very much I'll have to make some more up soon. I know I've a few damascus blades waiting to be ground (already heat treated) and the tail end of the billet that produced that blade to use up too. I wonder what will crawl out of the workshop...