Alpkit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

Default Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

I saw this idea back in October at one of the BCUK Sussex meets, Monkey Boy showed me the burner, hence the title of this post, like many i think he wanted a better more economical way to use the Crusader Burner unit than using Green Heat or Hexi blocks.

The idea is incredibly simple and i really don't know why i never thought of it myself, now I've made no secret over the years about how carp the Crusader Cooker unit is and this fact is even backed up by the guy who designed it i believe?, but when I'm out and about and don't want to take a Trangia, Hobo stove or even have a small fire, i do use my Crusader Cooker unit, after all I'm not cooking anything on it, I'm just warming up some water that I've bought from home for a cup of tea or coffee, but in the colder months stuff like Green Heat just doesn't cut the mustard, i know some of the stove guys will say it never cuts the mustard, that's their choice, but i choose to use it.

This little burner unit though is so simple and so effective it's unreal and best of all, it's made from junk, the burner as you will see from the picture is a small Vaseline Lip Balm tin, which is filled with glass fibre loft insulation which in turn is kept in place by the wire mesh from a cheapo tea strainer, the whole thing weighs less than a gnats privates and sits in the burner tray of the Crusader cooker a treat, which coincidentally is where it lives when stored as well, as it's low enough to not interfere with the bottom of the metal mug when it's all packed away.

I cant store meths/alcohol in the burner though as the tin was prone to forming a vacuum, so i had to pierce a small hole in the lid in order to get it off, I've noticed the newer tins have a better design, so the hole is not necessary.

In use i filled the burner with meths so it was just starting to pool on the surface of the fibreglass, lit it and then put the mug, containing 500ml of cold water on the unit and put the lid on and in not too long a time the water was at a rolling boil, with fuel left in the burner.

I don't know how long it took to boil, as i don't work by the clock when I'm cooking or warming things up when I'm out and about, I've always worked to the ethos of "it's done when it's done", after all whats the rush, you are out there to enjoy yourself, there are just too many variables to consider when cooking outdoors, so i don't bother considering them.

So thanks to Monkey Boy for sharing the idea with me, personally i think it's brilliant
    Last edited by Kepis; 21-12-2011 at 14:01.
    It may look like im not doing anything, but at the cellular level im really quite busy.

Now that's the monkeys nuts
    Git-R-Dun

Nice idea.
    Wayland

_ _ _Wayland's World____________ Living a life less ordinary.

Interesting, how does it burn compared to just the empty tin with meths in?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Interesting, how does it burn compared to just the empty tin with meths in?
    no idea im afraid, never actually thought to try it, i have filled the Hexi Tray in the cooker unit with meths before though and it burnt out very quickly
    It may look like im not doing anything, but at the cellular level im really quite busy.

I suppose it controls the evaporation of the meths through heat alone and less prone to spillage than an open tin. Nice idea, thanks

3333 Guest

Do you think a tin filled with meths and then the lid put back on would work (but a circle of jets/holes on the lid) ?

Also i want to make on of these, what the stuff inside the tin called?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by 3333 View Post
    Do you think a tin filled with meths and then the lid put back on would work (but a circle of jets/holes on the lid) ?
    You'd have to secure the lid as the pressure will pop it straight off, a screw lid will work or some JBWeld on a conventional push lid, you'd have to fill through one of the holes though.

Also i want to make on of these, what the stuff inside the tin called?

Thx
    It's glass fibre loft insulation
    Rich

3333 Guest

You'd have to secure the lid as the pressure will pop it straight off, a screw lid will work or some JBWeld on a conventional push lid, you'd have to fill through one of the holes though.

It's glass fibre loft insulation
    Would anything else work like cotton/wool/fibreglass work?

Thanks again my friend

Would anything else work like cotton/wool/fibreglass work?

Thanks again my friend
    Fibreglass wick works well, cotton and wool would just burn up after the first go though. I've tried the stuff out of our loft which seemed to work okay, it stunk a bit though.
    Rich

Cool idea bud, will make me one of those over xmas to cure the boredom
    Last edited by cbrdave; 21-12-2011 at 16:26.
    Show me the woods and leave me be.

cheers chaps, not my idea though, that accolade has to go to Monkey Boy.

I've just snaffled a half empty tin of boiled sweets from the dresser draw, not much bigger than a shoe polish tin so it should work. We're off to Morrisons in a bit so I'll try and grab one of those tea strainers.

Looking forward to giving this one a try, cheers for the heads up Mark.
    Rich

3333 Guest

Fibreglass wick works well, cotton and wool would just burn up after the first go though. I've tried the stuff out of our loft which seemed to work okay, it stunk a bit though.
    My loft has been converted so i dont think theres any available! Would rockwool work by any chance?

I've just snaffled a half empty tin of boiled sweets from the dresser draw, not much bigger than a shoe polish tin so it should work. We're off to Morrisons in a bit so I'll try and grab one of those tea strainers.

Looking forward to giving this one a try, cheers for the heads up Mark.

No prob Rich, im just in the process of making a bigger version from old shoe polish tin

My loft has been converted so i dont think theres any available! Would rockwool work by any chance?
    Yeah I reckon, try a bit with some meths on. That stuff is fire proof isn't it? If it holds on to the fuel it should burn okay.

Let us know
    Rich

Give it try, as long as it's not combustable material in the can it should work fine

How about wire wool?, has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrdave View Post
    How about wire wool?, has anyone tried it?
    it would just ignite

Fair enough, glad you answered that one Kepis, i was gonna go find out

Quote Originally Posted by Kepis View Post
    I saw this idea back in October at one of the BCUK Sussex meets, Monkey Boy showed me the burner, hence the title of this post, like many i think he wanted a better more economical way to use the Crusader Burner unit than using Green Heat or Hexi blocks.

The idea is incredibly simple and i really don't know why i never thought of it myself, now I've made no secret over the years about how carp the Crusader Cooker unit is and this fact is even backed up by the guy who designed it i believe?, but when I'm out and about and don't want to take a Trangia, Hobo stove or even have a small fire, i do use my Crusader Cooker unit, after all I'm not cooking anything on it, I'm just warming up some water that I've bought from home for a cup of tea or coffee, but in the colder months stuff like Green Heat just doesn't cut the mustard, i know some of the stove guys will say it never cuts the mustard, that's their choice, but i choose to use it.

This little burner unit though is so simple and so effective it's unreal and best of all, it's made from junk, the burner as you will see from the picture is a small Vaseline Lip Balm tin, which is filled with glass fibre loft insulation which in turn is kept in place by the wire mesh from a cheapo tea strainer, the whole thing weighs less than a gnats privates and sits in the burner tray of the Crusader cooker a treat, which coincidentally is where it lives when stored as well, as it's low enough to not interfere with the bottom of the metal mug when it's all packed away.

I cant store meths/alcohol in the burner though as the tin was prone to forming a vacuum, so i had to pierce a small hole in the lid in order to get it off, I've noticed the newer tins have a better design, so the hole is not necessary.

In use i filled the burner with meths so it was just starting to pool on the surface of the fibreglass, lit it and then put the mug, containing 500ml of cold water on the unit and put the lid on and in not too long a time the water was at a rolling boil, with fuel left in the burner.

I don't know how long it took to boil, as i don't work by the clock when I'm cooking or warming things up when I'm out and about, I've always worked to the ethos of "it's done when it's done", after all whats the rush, you are out there to enjoy yourself, there are just too many variables to consider when cooking outdoors, so i don't bother considering them.

So thanks to Monkey Boy for sharing the idea with me, personally i think it's brilliant
    your more than welcome, I am so glad you have made this little stove and got to try it out, its perfect for the crusader kit. you will find that the more you use it the better it will work and burn longer. that has made my day knowing that someone likes and will be using my idea, enjoy a brew for me

monkey boy
    if i could live in the wild, i would

Now you've taught Kepis how to make a stove, someone try and tell him how to carve a spoon properly... fed up of seeing his monstrosities on here

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    Now you've taught Kepis how to make a stove, someone try and tell him how to carve a spoon properly... fed up of seeing his monstrosities on here
    thats your job

Nice idea and the mesh makes it look very neat!

I do have one idea which is to incorporate a nipple and silicone fuel line like Tinney and others do with their stoves to a remote fuel bottle? This is good as you can refuel the stove mid burn without taking your pot off if you are doing a long cook and also with a bit of trial and error you can use less fuel to cook with as you only need to squeeze enough fuel through to the stove and when the flame dies add a bit more and the rest stays in the fuel bottle ready for next time.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepis View Post
    thats your job
    We'll have to start with teaching you some swearing. Let's make a start in the New Year

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    We'll have to start with teaching you some swearing. Let's make a start in the New Year
    Deal .

I can feel a snuff tin conversion coming on guess I need a crusaders kit first though...
    Git-R-Dun

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseller View Post
    guess I need a crusaders kit first though...
    get it on the Christmas list pronto

I tried this with an old Kiwi polish tin which works equally well.

Claudiasboris

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiasboris View Post
    I tried this with an old Kiwi polish tin which works equally well.

Claudiasboris
    Magic, ive just realised i used the last old tea strainer, time to hit the pound shop again

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast