Alpkit
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rough Close Meet ~ January 2012

Default Winter skills course

Woodland Ways are running a special offer for their Winter Skills course.

http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/blog/...pecial-offers/

The course is held in a 250 acre private woodland just outside a village called Appleton, Oxfordshire. And the cost is 195 for every two people - 97.50 each. Does anybody fancy giving it a go - seems a good price for a weekend of training and it is reasonably near.

It is the weekend 17 - 19 February - before the next North Wood meet

If no takers from this posting then I will probably put up separate one somewhere - applications need to be in by 5 Jan

If you fancy it and are available etc pse PM me - if more than one then I will make up a 'twosome' (!!!) with whoever's PM is timed first

By the way, I have checked with Damian to see if he is running a course at his site

http://woodsmanbushcraft.co.uk/index.php?id=1

and he says

"I would normally do a winter course, but with the weather being so mild, it kind of defeats the object, .............................. ......We have a date in February (3rd) which we normally do as the winter course, but at the moment this is looking as a non-runner due to lack of numbers."

One day I might grow up - but I hope not
    Say 'yes' unless there's a good reason to the contrary

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world

going to have to remove myself and lady of tanith
    one of our christmas gifts were tickets to a show on the 28th which is smack bang in the middle of this weekend
    hopefully we will make it to the march one
    edited list
    decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    TinkyPete (TBC due to work)
    lucklee and maybe son depending on whether
    Wayland
    Bodge and Adam
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    hedgerow pete, plus posible one, both TBC
    leaf man and possible +1 newbie
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

I've never been to a meet before so it's probably about time I started. I'll most likely be arriving on the Saturday morning if that's ok.

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.
    decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    Wayland
    Bodge and Adam
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    Snowfire

Quote Originally Posted by man_of_tanith View Post
    going to have to remove myself and lady of tanith
    Sorry to hear that, sometimes real life has a habit of making itself heard . Enjoy the show and, hopefully, we'll catch you at the end of March .

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    I've never been to a meet before so it's probably about time I started.

Glad to have you along. If you want/need answers to questions about the Meet, just sing out and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction .

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    I'll most likely be arriving on the Saturday morning if that's ok.

That's absolutely fine .
    Is this sausage dead yet?

Schroedinger's Scat ~ Whether you open the box or not, poop's gonna happen!

Please be aware ...
    Quote Originally Posted by decorum View Post
    ... At the moment site fees are 4.40 per person per night but it is possible that the site might announce a price rise between now and the New Year...
    I am still in the process of trying to find out if there has been a price rise for 2012 ~ and, if it has, what it will be.

Decorum:

It is looking more likely that I will be able to make this meet, but I won't be certain until the w/e of the 20th and hope this won't cause difficulties in me adding my name at the last minute (rather than as last time adding then removing it)?

Also, if I do manage to organise myself sufficiently, will there be a facility to bring surplus kit for swap or for sale as I have seen on previous occasions?

Best regards
    Alan

"Went the day Well?"

Quote Originally Posted by Humpback View Post
    It is looking more likely that I will be able to make this meet, but I won't be certain until the w/e of the 20th and hope this won't cause difficulties in me adding my name at the last minute (rather than as last time adding then removing it)?
    Hi Alan, either way is fine . Real life does have a habit of getting in the way ~ it's prevented me from attended an RC Meet in the past as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Humpback View Post
    Also, if I do manage to organise myself sufficiently, will there be a facility to bring surplus kit for swap or for sale as I have seen on previous occasions?
    There's usually some sales/trades/swaps gpoing on at each Meet ~ we tend to set the time and location on the Saturday Morn.

Note for all:

Please be aware ...

I am still in the process of trying to find out if there has been a price rise for 2012 ~ and, if it has, what it will be.
    Quick update ...

The site has, in the last couple of days, revised their prices for 2012 and there will be a small increase in our fees.

The fees for 2012 have been set at 4.60 per person per night ~ a rise of 0.20

I'm new to BCUK and am interested in attending a meet. Could somebody give me info of location and what the format is? Is it a wildcamping?

The site is a Scout camp, there is wash block and toilet facilities on site as well as a water tap. you will need to bring your own food, something to sleep in or on (there is room for both ground dwellers (tarp or tent) or swingers (hammockers), wood fires must be raised or leave no ground scar, but you can use most types of cookers there. If you read post 1 it does give you a lot of the information you need. Any extra questions please ask away.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome!!! OR Anything goes!!!

Never, ever forget the 7 P's

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogiam View Post
    I'm new to BCUK and am interested in attending a meet. Could somebody give me info of location and what the format is? Is it a wildcamping?
    Pete's pretty much summed it up in a nutshell ~ but I'll add that wood fires absolutely must be raised and contained. The site is pretty much built on leaf mulch of one type or another and it's far easier to have a ongoing blanket 'raised and contained' than it is to have a here's okay for ground fires unless it hasn't rained for 'x' days, in which case you need to go over to ... (etc).

If you haven't already, have a read of post #01 and have a look through previous Meets pics threads will give a potted summary of the type of thing to reasonably expect to see going on

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.
    decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    Wayland
    Bodge and Adam
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)

decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    lucklee and maybe son depending on weather
    Wayland
    Bodge and Adam
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    [COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]leaf man and possible +1 newbie
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
    PeterH

Meet List:

decorum

udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    Wayland
    Bodge and Adam
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
    PeterH

Spikey, are you bringing ear plugs this time?

Note to all, due to the recent freezing temperatures it would be considered wise to have brought at least some potable water with you . The taps at the main toilet block will be fine for getting water but, as it's across the site from the pitch, if you've brought some with you it saves a job when setting up .

Meet List:

decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    Wayland
    Teepee
    Outdoory (possibly +1)
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
    PeterH

the best I can manage for this meet will be a day visit. My Gsl has organised a group camp which I was planning to skip, but am now thinking of attending for some of the weekend. See you all if i get there.

Sent from my battledroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    ... the best I can manage for this meet will be a day visit. My Gsl has organised a group camp which I was planning to skip, but am now thinking of attending for some of the weekend. See you all if i get there...
    That old 'It's only two hours a week' chestnut . Thanks for letting us know and if we don't catch you at this one, the March Meet is already booked and it's an extended one .

As no one has mentioned it yet (that I've noticed ) ~ Sales / Trades / Swaps ...

Sales / Trades / Swaps at the Meet are fine. The usual forum rules apply and are extended to cover the site and also my self unless I have a vested interest in the transaction.

We'll arrange a time and place at some point between Friday eve and Saturday morn.

Sales / Trades / Swaps List:

decorum: misc bits and bobs ~ thermawrap (for pot cosy type DIY projects ~ link), wood burning stove (like this)
    Last edited by decorum; 24-01-2012 at 21:39.

I might try to get down saturday night, as I really need to escape, even for a little while

A quick heads up and bump of the thread.

We don't normally invoke the curse of Twang Twang by talking about the weather for a Meet but, as we have so many first timers down to come allong to this one ...

I would advise keeping an eye on weather forecasts. It's likely to be cold this weekend ~ but whether it'll be cold and dry / wet / snowy / sleety/ windy / sunny seems to be changing by the hour.

There is an old adage: Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst .

Quote Originally Posted by firecrest View Post
    I might try to get down saturday night, as I really need to escape, even for a little while

It's been a while, it'd be good to catch up if you can get down .
    Last edited by decorum; 25-01-2012 at 13:25. Reason: 'bout a wind

A quick heads up and bump of the thread.

We don't normally invoke the curse of Twang Twang by talking about the weather for a Meet but, as we have so many first timers down to come allong to this one ...

I would advise keeping an eye on weather forecasts. It's likely to be cold this weekend ~ but whether it'll be cold and dry / wet / snowy / sleety/ windy / sunny seems to be changing by the hour.

There is an old adage: Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst .
    Hope its going to be nice, It going to be novel not to wake up covered in frost LOL which seems to be the norm at the moment.

www.ice-raven.co.uk -Arctic adventures

Quote Originally Posted by udamiano View Post
    Hope its going to be nice...
    It's always nice to wake up in the woods* . As far as what weather we'll get? It's all a bit Russian Roulette as to what we get at the moment isn't it .

* providing abduction hasn't been involved .

................... As far as what weather we'll get? It's all a bit Russian Roulette as to what we get at the moment isn't it .
    Sorry I can't make it this time but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it

I'm sure you'll all have a great time - and I will be thinking of you all (at least while I am still sober)

Quote Originally Posted by Elines View Post
    Sorry I can't make it this time
    You have poor organisational skills ~ or you'd have done your taster weekend a week early have been joining us to enjoy the choice remnants .

but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it
    Oh yes! I do like a good whiskey (and a good whisky too) ~ but the poor ones are truely

I'm sure you'll all have a great time - and I will be thinking of you all (at least while I am still sober)
    When we're sitting relaxed in the woods, you will have our pity .

Sorry I can't make it this time but I have to be in the warm and dry 'tasting' whiskey - well ... somebody's got to do it
    You don't have to be in the warm and dry to taste whisky Chris... by a campfire in the woods is a perfectly acceptable place to do said activity
    Last edited by Mesquite; 25-01-2012 at 20:52.
    Man of Tanith...
    I am allergic to..... veet for men, duct tape,handcuffs,hair dye,razors and
    all such things that can do unpleasant things to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post
    You don't have to be in the warm and dry to taste whisky Chris... by a campfire in the woods is a perfectly acceptable place to do said activity
    ?Does it make a difference when I tell you there are 12 whisk(e)ys to choose from - plus a whiskey liqeur - one each from the 'David Wishart' classification method, plus some duplicates

http://www.whiskyclassified.com/classification.html

?Does it make a difference when I tell you there are 12 whisk(e)ys to choose from - plus a whiskey liqeur - one each from the 'David Wishart' classification method, plus some duplicates
    No, absolutely not ~ it's always better if you add a fire (Unless, of course, you're Joan of Arc).

No, absolutely not ~ it's always better if you add a fire (Unless, of course, you're Joan of Arc).
    mmm good point

i wont be able to make this one lads.
    hope you have a great time take care.
    lee.
    ALL Leather COMMISSIONS ARE WELCOME
    http://www.lbcustomknives.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucky_lee/ MY LEATHER ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by luckylee View Post
    i wont be able to make this one lads...
    Thanks for letting us know

Time for a tidy up of the list ...

Meet List:

decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    TinkyPete (TBC)
    Wayland
    Teepee
    Outdoory (poss +1)
    leaf man (possible +1)
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
    PeterH

Remember to bring in some potable water if you can. Doing so will probably save you time and effort ~ drinking water will be available at the main toilet block but, over the winter season, the stand pipe tap supply is turned off and drained to prevent frost damage.

Sorry Guys due to work I will not be able to attend this meet. I have to work on Saturday for a major inspection for all our kit at work. Because we are loosing a couple of months due to Operation Olympics so our schedule has been shortened. Hope you have a great time out in the woods I will be jealous of you all. I can not even look out onto any woods as I have no windows in my work

Meet List:

decorum
    udamiano
    Mesquite
    bushcraftsurvival
    Wayland
    Teepee
    Outdoory (poss +1)
    leaf man (possible +1)
    Snowfire
    Spikey DaPikey (TBC)
    PeterH

Remember to bring in some potable water if you can. Doing so will probably save you time and effort ~ drinking water will be available at the main toilet block but, over the winter season, the stand pipe tap supply is turned off and drained to prevent frost damage.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome!!! OR Anything goes!!!

Never, ever forget the 7 P's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast