Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fomes Fomentarius Tinder Production

Default Fomes fomentarius at the Moot.

I also posted this to the Christmas Moot thread: -

I have been kindly given some fomes fomentarius <thanks Fred> and was wondering if anybody would like me to bring one along to prepare at the Christmas Moot?

I've never had a go at this so it might be interesting!

Will need suitable vessel to boil it in though.

Phil.

www.badgerbushcraft.com/blog
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

Quote Originally Posted by jason01 View Post
    Yep I agree with you Marts, no need to boil it up in urine and ash for days on end, Ive also managed to get unprocessed F/F to catch a spark with a flint and steel, surprisingly easily as it goes. I should say the F/F was somebody elses and it appeared to be a particularly large specimen but it was definately just dried out and fluffed up. I had less success with smaller specimens that I'd gathered myself, couldnt seem to get the cambium? to fluff up enough and of course theres less of it on the smaller ones.

I have only heard of using that method with 'False Tender Fungus'. That makes them work as well as the real stuff.

Is there a right time to harvest the fungi?

I have tried this and its not worked out for me how I hoped.

I wonder if you can help?

Once I boiled it for 24hrs the fungi appeared spongy, as soon as i started to pound it, it just broke up into tiny pieces. Evidently I have not done something correct...?

Hello and welcome

Did you take out the fibrous stuff or did you boil the whole fungus ?

cheers,
    Toddy
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by bearofbritain View Post
    Is there a right time to harvest the fungi?

I have tried this and its not worked out for me how I hoped.

I wonder if you can help?

Once I boiled it for 24hrs the fungi appeared spongy, as soon as i started to pound it, it just broke up into tiny pieces. Evidently I have not done something correct...?
    Dont boil the fungus just put it in hot water and ash solution and leave it over night ,take it out rinse and let it dry give it a gentle pounding if you want but it works without doing it at all

Oh and as toddy has all ready asked did you just use the outside layer ?you need to remove the fibrous stuff in the middle of the fungus

Jason

Arr ok, I think this is where I went wrong, I stripped the outer case, and thats all.

So forgive me for asking a stupid question as the photos are excellent, however, (I evidently put the hole thing in), how thick is the fibrous layer, and is there a distinct difference between that and the rest of the fungus?

Thanks!

This should help... You can see the 'trama' layer between the two pictures.

It may go a bit further bown below the white marked area , but its difficult to see from the image.

Copy form web...

Amadou is made from the Horse’s Hoof Fungus, which has a fine, velvety layer resembling suede leather.
    This suede-like trama layer is sandwiched between a tough nut-like, outer,
    layer called the Cuticle and the pores, which are thousands of tiny tubes all packed together.
    Last edited by The Big Lebowski; 28-04-2011 at 03:36.
    The one and only "BUCKAROO!"

We got tons of horses hoof fungus here Birch country and all that but no flint and very little chert. Nice and clear tutorial Bravo.

Great illustrated tutorial and excelent collective advice - definitely going to give it a go. Thanks for posting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12