Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what strange things have you done at work today?

Default what strange things have you done at work today?

thought it might be an interesting aside .

today i fished a prairie dog out of the foundations of a stone cottage....
    energy transfer rates through the trophic levels gives me wood.

Nowt......

it might help to explain you are working on an estate with a small zoo attached.....!!xx

Quote Originally Posted by toilet digger View Post
    thought it might be an interesting aside .

today i fished a prairie dog out of the foundations of a stone cottage....

Is that code for something! hahaha

ok ..... toaday i carved a feeding trough for a wallaby out of an ash log.
    AND have been asked to come up with 2 aviaries in the style of sydney opera house.

now i fully understand that the majority of will think i am chronicly deluded but i swear its true ...

Part of my job involves watching someone stack toilet rolls in Tesco .... just watch them.....
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

i've got to ask...........why ?

I stuck some things up some adders bottoms, then put them in my fridge.
    <a href=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/aa-2.jpg target=_blank>http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77..._1969/aa-2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    i've got to ask...........why ?
    Supporting a guy with learning disability in the job he has at Tesco.... he loves his job but needs support to be there...

Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post
    Supporting a guy with learning disability in the job he has at Tesco.... he loves his job but needs support to be there...
    Now that is one hell of a thing John.
    <a href=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/aa-2.jpg target=_blank>http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77..._1969/aa-2.jpg</a>

spot on John

I sowed some edible Chrysanthemums (shinguku). On a daily basis that's not very strange but I think the fact that there are edible chrysanths is.
    speak softly and carry a great big stick...

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    Now that is one hell of a thing John.
    +1 to that. Well done John.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumber Jack View Post
    It is nothing special - lots of folk need a little support out there and there are loads of folk doing support work
    OK the pay is not the greatest but I can work to suit my preferences (I work relief..I had no work for 5 months and now it is manic) which allows me to get away for bushy stuff, fit in lots of craft work, my writing for magazines and holidays as and when I want them
    I made a couple of promisses when I quit the computer room in the bank at age 20 - I would never work again to make a rich man richer but to help make peoples lives richer ( pretty well stuck to although some places I worked for made a healthy profit for the owner as well as helping enlarge the customers horizons) and never to pay income tax again as politicians waste so much (ie - the expenses scandle) and I have stuck to that too - except one year when due to my in-house accountant (wife ) I ended up having to pay a few pence....
    My needs are simple (like the rest of me) - my wife bought the house for cash when we returned from working abroad (all our savings... gone), never wanted or had kids, and although we are now on pretty low incomes (herself is semi-retired) we owe nothing to anyone and what we have we can spend.
    I have not worked for 30+ years - but I do get paid to do what I want to do
    I realy do think that if I won the lottery this weekend then it would not change my life much (OK - a newer van and some new carpets for the house ...ours were second hand 34 years ago... and a better confuser) and after a bit of a holiday (I realy would like to go back on Safari in SA and my wife has a thing for India) then it would be back to pretty much as it is now
    I love my life

Quote Originally Posted by Lumber Jack View Post
    +2 takes a special person.

i'll keep you informed of anymore strangeness ...
    2 years of a countryside management course and after i finish, i never leave. just get a casual job doing environmental/conservation weirdness.
    brilliant!

I am currently volunteering at a tree nursery so today I scraped moss off the ground and dug up some diseased wild cherry seedlings. I've done funner things but it's better than sitting around doing nothing and it's nice to know you're helping out unlike most of the yobs of my age. And good work Mr. Fenna.

outdoorpaddy

good for you ODP, where's the nursery ?

I'm on summer hols, so I thought I would play with the new ferrets in the garden and pretend to chase them. When the little buggers starting launching themselves at my bare shins I squealed like a little girl and ran (ask John, he can probably do a good impression). Then I came inside and hid, to do some leatherwork.

He be the ferocious beasts:

Last edited by Dougster; 28-07-2011 at 21:29.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.- Benjamin Franklin

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ifeandleather/

Cooked a clutch reversing a trailer through an offroad uphill obstical course. It's recovered and fine now but smelled a bit funky at the time.

Something a bit more bushy a few days ago. We were digging a cable trench in an electrical substation. It was non-local rocky gravel and about 30% red, tan and grey bandied chert.
    Most was slaty like the black bits up behind Morchs old pad. A lot of the rest was cracked up but three useful sized lumps came home with me.

Twice I've been up the Leadhills looking for the stuff without much luck and there it goes and literaly pops out the ground at my feet.
    ....fifty-odd miles from where it likely came from.
    Did get me thinking that there must be a quarry somewhere that cuts through a seam of it. That'd be an interesting place to have a rummage around.

It is nothing special - lots of folk need a little support out there and there are loads of folk doing support work
    OK the pay is not the greatest but I can work to suit my preferences (I work relief..I had no work for 5 months and now it is manic) which allows me to get away for bushy stuff, fit in lots of craft work, my writing for magazines and holidays as and when I want them
    Trying not to get mushy, but you may see it as straightforward. It takes a person with irrepressible optimism and patience to do some things and I'm glad the person I know with the most of both does what you do.

I made a couple of promisses when I quit the computer room in the bank at age 20 - I would never work again to make a rich man richer but to help make peoples lives richer ( pretty well stuck to although some places I worked for made a healthy profit for the owner as well as helping enlarge the customers horizons) and never to pay income tax again as politicians waste so much (ie - the expenses scandle) and I have stuck to that too - except one year when due to my in-house accountant (wife ) I ended up having to pay a few pence....)
    To be fair John, you are one hell of a barterer and I'm sure your victims, erm traders pay some for you. I wish I could make it work.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.- Benjamin Franklin

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ifeandleather/

It's within the Clandeboye Estate, in a big old walled garden where small seedlings and saplings are grown, I'm there for a week, finishing tomorrow. There's people
    who have been there for over seven months which I find impressive seeing as I'm absolutely shattered after four days. It's pretty much general upkeep of the tree
    nursery in terms of maintenance (scraping moss off the ground) and looking after the trees, of course (weeding, watering and the like). It's a bit strenuous, but hey,
    it got me off my a*se for a week.

outdoorpaddy

not technically a strange thing i did, but a few weeks ago, i had to deliver a chaise longue to someone, which normally involves carrying it in, usually through ridiculous doorways and sometimes second floor windows, but this person was wierd, rather than let us big burly delivery men on her new cream carpet with our shoes which were clean, or risk foot odour making us take them of (very wise in my case) she decided to makes us wait by the door while she dragged it 10 or 15 feet across her precious new carpet, especially bad seeing as i had spent a good hour fixing the legs 2 days before

Replaced the LCD on my mates Audi S3 dash.... One lifted pad and £700 to replace.

Its amazing how much a soldering iron shakes on x10 mag

(dont tell the boss)
    The one and only "BUCKAROO!"

I have just signed up to this organ donation site http://www.save5.org.uk/ please sign up its for a good cause.
    Good Boots 'N' Bed, Coz if you ain't in one you're in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    I stuck some things up some adders bottoms, then put them in my fridge.
    You said they were DNA samples. Not recalling any mention of bottoms.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning a fridge which is full of fresh food and the juice from the bottoms of wild snakes!!!

I filled a false arm with blood.

Quote Originally Posted by geordienemisis View Post
    I have just signed up to this organ donation site http://www.save5.org.uk/ please sign up its for a good cause.
    good call

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
    You said they were DNA samples. Not recalling any mention of bottoms.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning a fridge which is full of fresh food and the juice from the bottoms of wild snakes!!!

There is probably some far away land where serpent cloaca secretions are considered a delicacy.

pushed invoices from one tray to another for an hour

sent 3 technicians to Malta on a secondment

arranged the PDI of 100 new vehicles from a Dutch manufacturer through an Irish dealership and into the UK.

proposed a change of shift for 60% of the workforce

investigated the HR minefield that is flexible working and arranged a meeting to discuss when to hold a meeting to talk about the meeting we were,....stop me when your bored,.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

and drank about 15 mugs of black coffee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast