The Bushcraft UK, Junior Foundation course is a low cost high quality opportunity for members of the Bushcraft UK community to experience top of the range instruction in fantastic rural Dorset at an affordable price, concentrating on the Key Bushcraft and Wild camping skills of the temperate forest in Winter.
The Bushcraft UK Junior foundation course is designed for the junior members of BCUK who want to learn the skills of outdoor living and Bushcraft in a controlled and safe environment. Your instructors will lead you through most of the normal subjects covered on the BCUK adult foundation course. On this five day course you will receive lectures and obtain first hand practical experience of every thing involved to enjoy a trip under canvas or similar. At the end of the course, you will have the confidence to go into the wild and camp and live comfortably.
During the course, students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood and water collection and general camp duties.
Course subjects will cover:
- A introduction to Wild camping
- The safe use, care and maintenance of cutting tools
- Primitive shelter construction
- Contemporary shelters and tarps
- Primitive and contemporary fire making techniques
- Natural cordage and binding material
- Camp cookery
- Water, its procurement, preparation and storage
- Primitive and contemporary fishing methods
- Camp hygiene and sanitation
- Introduction to tracking and nature awareness
- Rucksack. (Large enough to carry all your kit and 1 days food)
- A minimum of 2 sets of suitable outdoor clothing. (appropriate to season).
- Walking boots or Wellingtons (You will be expected to walk a couple of miles on some days)
- Hat and gloves.
- Waterproof outer wear. (Jacket and trousers preferable)
- Sleeping bag (appropriate for the season) Gortex or similar bivvi bag will be provided for those that dont have them
- Insulating sleeping mat (closed cell or Thermarest type is ideal).
- Knife fork and spoon, small unbreakable bowl/plate, Mug.
- Water container (Bottle or bag) approx 1.0 litre. (The facility to top up is available on site so there is no need to bring big jerry cans.)
- Torch (preferably a head torch) + spare batteries.
- Wash kit and toiletries + towel.
- Insect repellent.
- Notebook and pencil.
Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions
Minimum numbers: 10
Maximum numbers: 12
Minimum age: 13
Maximum age: 17
Parental permission is required and bookings will only be taken by parents who will have to sign a parental care release form.
(All instructors hold enhanced CRB clearance)
Date of Course 4th June 2012 8th June 2012
Course go/no go date: 4th April 2012
(Full joining instructions will be issued)
RV time 09:00hr on the 4th June @ Beaminster, Dorset
Course disperses: 15:00hr on the 8th June
Accommodation: Students will be accommodated in communal tents provided.
Catering: Full Board
Course Cost and payment details:
Cost: £265.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)
A Non refundable deposit of £50.00 is required on booking This deposit will however be refunded in full if the course does not go ahead
Final payments: Payable immediately from the 4th April 2012 if course takes place and by no later than 4th May 2012. Any one failing to pay their final payment by the 4th May 2011 will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve. It is the individual's responsibility to make note of the above and make prompt payment. Neither Bushcraft UK or Bushcraft Expeditions will be responsible for chasing up and reminding individuals about payments.
All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:
To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
To pay by Paypal:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.
inforequest@bushcraftexpeditio ns.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)
To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
All payments are by secure means.
On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email, unless otherwise requested differently
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK TRAVEL TICKETS OR PURCHASE COURSE EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT.