Alpkit

Thread: 20 l Jerry can fire bucket

Default 20 l Jerry can fire bucket

I have a Sandvik 20l jerry can vintage 1970 and have cut the side out to make a contained fire bucket. Have seen some good photos of these projects on this site.

My question relates to the paint on the inside. It is brown in colour and very tenacious to shift. Can't burn it off with a gas blow torch. Hard to shift with emery paper.
    I plan to use the fire for camp cooking.
    Does anyone know if this paint is toxic and how best to remove it - sandblasting perhaps?

Thanks
    Ron

Just get a fire going in it (outdoors) and see what happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey DaPikey View Post
    Just get a fire going in it (outdoors) and see what happens....
    What Spikey says is the best way to do it.

I just built a nice hot fire in mine and made sure I stayed out of the smoke
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

i'm just passed this stage with mine, the paint burns off nicely. But now there is no protection mine has taken on a lovely rust colour , has anyone bothere dto repaint theres, i've seen bbq paint and wondered if this would be suitable to stop the thing rusting up.
    Alan

Not all those who wander are lost.

Best way to stop it rusting up is to slap some old engine oil on it before you put it away. It'll burn off within a couple of minutes when you light it, but the oil trick is what I used to paint on my charcoal kiln at the end of a burn and it was just fine for many years.
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    i'm just passed this stage with mine, the paint burns off nicely. But now there is no protection mine has taken on a lovely rust colour , has anyone bothere dto repaint theres, i've seen bbq paint and wondered if this would be suitable to stop the thing rusting up.
    MartinK9 painted his with stove paint and it looks good
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.