Default Article: Cartridge Case Matchbox

Tone
    Explore : Discover : Achieve
    The most important thing is not 'who's right' but rather 'what's right'

2015 BushMoot 21st July - 2nd August 2015

Visit our pages and Sites : : Facebook : : Pinterest : : BushMoot : :

Nice article, good way of getting the ends off as well

Nathan

Good to see this article. I've been using this type of cartridge case / match carrier for several years now. (My son makes them for me!) I tend to keep a mixture of Rat Pack issue matches and striker in them, a few waterproofs, and light anywheres.

Defo would't try to take them abroad. I don't want to get up close n personal with a Customers Officer any time soon!

Great article i'gve not seen people put strikers on the outside before
    inspired

George

If you can find someone that shoots a 16 bore (not common) and trim the split open end of the cartridge case where the crimp has unfolded on firing, and then do the same to an empty 12 bore case, you'll find the 16 will slide into the 12 and make a virtually waterproof container for matches.

Great article. I made a few not long ago and had an idea to use one as a basic sewing kit. It seems to work pretty well holding needles and several feet of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleybuckman View Post
    Great article. I made a few not long ago and had an idea to use one as a basic sewing kit. It seems to work pretty well holding needles and several feet of thread.
    Hmm, that got me thinking. I must sift throught the "brass-bucket" by the rifle range for something suitable for needles. The bone cases are nice, as are the wooden ones, but neither is supercompact, and the small plastic cases that leads for automatic pencils come in loose the lids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thnaks Tony thats great. Now I just have to find a supply of the empty cases

Quote Originally Posted by forestwalker View Post
    Hmm, that got me thinking. I must sift throught the "brass-bucket" by the rifle range for something suitable for needles. The bone cases are nice, as are the wooden ones, but neither is supercompact, and the small plastic cases that leads for automatic pencils come in loose the lids.
    Get a .223 and .357 mag. The needles go into the .223 and the .357 mag goes snugly over the top - a perfect friction fit needle case
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Nice article

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    Get a .223 and .357 mag. The needles go into the .223 and the .357 mag goes snugly over the top - a perfect friction fit needle case
    Thanks. good to know, but extremely unlikely to be found here. Basically what can be found in the brass bucket is everything from .22 to overhefty rifle calibers, few exotics (and most that have those reload), with 6.6x55, .308 and .30-06 being -- WAG -- 75% of it.

Shame - I would post you a few - but I suspect someone would get funny about the package?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Great artical, looking for ideas for xmas presents, ive got about 500 cartridges locked away but can i find any empties!

Super article.
    That idea from Wicca using 16 and 12 bore spent cartridges is also brill.

Making two of the same but sealing the overlap with resin on the second would make a reasonably watertight backup should the first ever get damaged, soaked or dropped.

Last edited by Celberon; 13-10-2012 at 03:41. Reason: Clarity

15. Default

Great article MartiniDave, saw this myself in a Ray mears book,made one and had it for years! it's water proof, it floats and it's a great way to recycle cartridges! like the primer idea great stuff!

On a swap on here I got three cases with matches, tinder in the other two. With them being small they are easy to store anywhere. Great post.....

I just received a few of these in the GIO. Thank you, Graham.

Just incase anyone is worried about this, sniffer dog walked past us in Minneapolis airport after spending all day on the range and they didnt even look at us, there was allot of spent shell cases in our bags!
    The things that come to those who wait will be the things left by those who got there first.