Alpkit

Thread: homemade bedroll pics please

Default homemade bedroll pics please

iv just ordered some canvas to make a bedroll to go with dutch blanket to use when camping in natural shelter with fire, i was wondering if anyone has made anything similar so i can pinch some ideas before i start making.
    i was thinking stiched all the way round apart from the top on one side in case it gets warm also forming a pillow type case at the top to stuff clothes in.
    any ideas welcome.
    thanks ash

not a very popular choice of sleeping then!!!
    there must be some old school campers here somewere

I am anxious to see some too, because I want to try it myself.

This forum I have only just discovered, but you might want to check the "traditional gear"-section.....

I saw these at Tamarack - bloomin' lovely and bloomin' expensive

http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acata...cessories.html
    Fire is the best of servants; but what a master! Thomas Carlyle

Photographer Dumfries & Galloway

I had a good look at the Duluth when I had one for a few days.

Roughly 6.5ft long by 3.5ft wide, 4ft zips on each side, basically two lengths of fabric stitched together but with the seam raised a couple of inches off the floor. The pillow area had a separate zip so you could stuff some clothes into it for padding, the base had a second layer of fabric along the full length to take a mat.

I'll get round to making one eventually
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

JAG009 is offline Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!) Traveller

Here is coln18 in his duluth bedroll not home made i know but a good bit of kit

Jason

A pattern for

Topknot
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands ,head and his heart is an artist.

they are nice the duluth ones
    i took your advise rich and ordered the canvas you showed me iv gone for 29"x3mtrs x 2 so hopefully have plenty.
    the biggest problem i can seen is how big it will be when rolled up with blanket, and weather to incorparate a sleeping mat in some way
    if any has an idea
    cheers ash

Quote Originally Posted by JAG009 View Post

Jason
    i presume the snow wasnt expected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vizsla View Post
    they are nice the duluth ones
    i took your advise rich and ordered the canvas you showed me iv gone for 29"x3mtrs x 2 so hopefully have plenty.
    the biggest problem i can seen is how big it will be when rolled up with blanket, and weather to incorparate a sleeping mat in some way
    if any has an idea
    cheers ash
    It's gonna be big anyway Ash so you might as well roll the mat up in there too I reckon. You're looking at a roll about 18" long by 9" diameter from what I can remember.
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

Quote Originally Posted by JAG009 View Post

Jason
    My hero !

Rob

Looking forward to seeing the finished bag. I like the canvas stuff(have a backpack)but can't justify the bedroll.

Rob

i ordered myself a tough looking bedroll from the states.....when it arrived it was bigger than the oldschool punching bags! it was bigger than my entire rucksack. so sadly i had to resell it....luckily pawned it off without any loss

I am actually thinking of making one myself out of some canvas and then add 1 or 2 Dutch army wool blankets (depending on the weather) and a flannel sheetbag.

@ Topknot; exactly how is the pattern you showed to be used??

Anyone got any other patterns??

cheers boys il try and post sum pics in future once iv made it

I made one out of a old military canvas tent material, basically a bigger copy of the ww2 bedroll,but i made it bigger because they where quite snug, used the same lace up design for closure,and the envelope top for storing kit/pillow,its quite heavy though,but easy to do i made it by hand,no sewing machine at the time,and used extra strong waxed linen thread.
    would post pics if blinkin photobucket would let me.

I'm hoping to get out this Saturday with an ipk groundsheet, 2 blankets and a tarp. I'll roll the blankets and an extra wool shirt in the tarp and tie it with paracord. A knife and water and kuksa and pen light will be the rest of my kit. Tent pegs carved on arrival to stake the tarp then bung some leaf litter on the floor in place of a roll mat. It's times like this I wish I had a poncho and liner, I'd just add an extra blanket. I've always fancied making a bedroll I just haven't got round to it yet! Nice one Coln18!
    Everybody's favorite redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by andybysea View Post
    I made one out of a old military canvas tent material, basically a bigger copy of the ww2 bedroll,but i made it bigger because they where quite snug, used the same lace up design for closure,and the envelope top for storing kit/pillow,its quite heavy though,but easy to do i made it by hand,no sewing machine at the time,and used extra strong waxed linen thread.
    Use Flickr it is much better for photo hosting and free
    Fire is the best of servants; but what a master! Thomas Carlyle

Photographer Dumfries & Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by andybysea View Post
    that sounds just the kind of thing im planning with the lace up side and envelope at the top, be nice to see the pics mate.
    cheers

Hi Vizsla,

Google 'Saul Swags' in Australia and have a read up on the bedroll shown there. If you're still interested then pm me and I'll take some actual measurements off of mine and scan a dimensioned sketch for you.

Alternatively, you could use the traditional pattern as used by 'The Bushtucker Man.' It's just a simple rectangle of canvas folded up - no sewing (apart from forming the rectangle). You may want something more sophisticated than this, but once again, have a think about it and if you're interested I'll take some measurements for you.

A word of warning - these things are relatively heavy and not for lightweight backpacking.

aussiepom, iv had a google and they do look good mate unfortunately my canvas arrived yesterday and iv already started making it, il hopefully post some pics.
    thanks for the help though,ash

[QUOTE=Aussiepom;894517]
    Google 'Saul Swags' in Australia and have a read up on the bedroll shown there.....QUOTE]

I like the look of those, and I've got a bit of canvas left over, so I think I'll have a go at one of them, thanks for the link...

I found this image of a oilskin type bedroll, thought youd like it.

http://www.manandmule.com/wp-content...ds/bedroll.jpg

From this page...

http://www.manandmule.com/gear/

"wha daur meddle wi' me!"

i do like that mate very similar size and style to what im making, good little website to .
    cheers buddy