Alpkit

Thread: Green woodworking weekend

Default Green woodworking weekend

Hi Everyone

Wooplaw Community Woodland (three miles south east of Stow, four miles south west of Lauder, five miles north of Galashiels) is having it's yearly green woodworking weekend on 28th and 29th of May. See here for further details. Have a look at the other events organised throughout the year as well.

Various bits and pieces of woodworking taking place - likely to be spoon, spatula and butter knife carving, shavehorse and pole lathe set ups to try, even make your own shavehorse or pole lathe. If I get my act together, I might have a bowl carving set up to use.

NB - if you want to make a shavehorse or lathe, please do contact the Wooplaw people - contact details are on their website.

There are 40 acres of woodland to explore, various places for tent camping, bivvying and hammocking if that's your thing. Wooplaw doesn't have running water other than a wee burn which flows through lots of farms, so you might want to bring water in with you....
    Cheers

Nice one. I think I'll visit for the weekend and take my hammock.

Thanks for posting the info.

Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

Thank you for the heads up

This is the woodland where StuartF organised a couple of meet ups, and it's a lovely bit of the world.

cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Bum . 300 miles away, otherwise I'd be there like a flash.
    Good luck with the event all
    Whittler Kev.
    I loike making things I does. Happy as a...
    Blogspot at http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

Looks like I'll be heading up on Saturday morning for the weekend, with family in tow.
    Tony.

Hi Peterlee Paddler

I'll hopefully see you there then.

I'm helping with some prep work this weekend (hauling logs around the place etc) so I'll have an idea of what's available. Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?

Cheers

Sounds like a fun weekend. We do something similar in Sussex its a great way to spend a few days making spurtles.

Forest Knights. BCUK Welfare Officer.

Hi everyone

Spent a few hours at Wooplaw today helping with the prep for next weekend.

We have

-2 pole lathe beds
    -6 half logs, suitable for pole lathes or shave horses or workbenches or being cut down for stools, sitting benches, little tables etc
    -a fair amount of (mostly) Ash saplings for making legs for the above

If you do want to make any of the above, please contact the organiser to confirm.

We'll fell a 6 inch or so diameter Birch or Sycamore for making lathe poppets (you'd call these the headstock and the tailstock on a power lathe), and there will be plenty for spoon, kuksa, bowl carving and other stuff.

Cheers

Hi Ian.
    I hadn't thought about what I'd be interested in (probably everything!), I'm coming after a recommendation from a previous visitor

Cheers.
    Tony.

And we had a grand time!

Nice and quiet, but a couple of groups working away. We made

Two shave horses
    One pole lathe
    One bowl mate (See Robin Wood's blog for details)
    One two-person willow bench
    One birch chair framed up - needs finished

And one little eating spoon for the wee guy. His dad chose a large bit of birch, but it had split and started to rot (as birch does). I salvaged a small eating spoon for Junior - I hope he's happy with it.

Next year is Wooplaw's 25th birthday, and we're hoping for a big weekend celebration to mark it.

Cheers