Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Georges Day

Default St Georges Day

Here it is, what coverage is there none, do we celebrate, no.

Who thinks this should be a national holiday and celebrated for what it is and stands for.
    "Force has no place where there is need of skill" (Herodotus)

Ahhh you'll have people complaining now. Its okay for the Scots, Welsh and Irish to have a sense of national identity, but if the English do they get accused of tribalism, racism and all sorts.

I'm with you by the way - it should be an English National holiday
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

agree 100 % chaps

I think it should be a national holiday. It has always struck me as ironic that St Patricks day gets more coverage. All the world's nations should celebrate their national days in my opinion.
    "It is not the mountains you conquer, but yourself" - Sir Edmund Hilary

Totally agree with the above, except the St George's cross has now been adopted as some racist symbol and it takes a lot to shake that tarring with the same brush.

National holiday - yes!

Having an A4 plastic flag flapping on my car roof attached to the door seal - no!

Long Live England! (the country NOT the football team, or the nazis)

In our town today, lots of little events. But was shocked to find a stall giving out free Qurans and Islamic propaganda!
    A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees. - William Blake

Last Sunday from 6am to 7pm, March closed the centre of town and had a gala.
    Best of all Hot dogs were 1.20 or speciality 1.50 and Kiddy fairground rides 1 each (and they lasted a far amount of time as well). Hat's off to our council and other organisers
    Whittler Kev.
    I loike making things I does. Happy as a...
    Blogspot at http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

I'm half Welsh/half Irish and agree with Samuel Johnson on the subject of patriotism ("the last refuge of a scoundrel.") I neither celebrate St David's Day nor St. Patrick's Day, BUT - if it gets me a day off work it gets my vote!
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

Well, perhaps you're right; except that it's not St George's day today. It's been moved to 2 May because of Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    "...Its okay for the Scots, Welsh and Irish to have a sense of national identity..."
    Do the Scottish celebrate St. Andrews day? In my childhood home Burns night and Hogmany were the only days of note that I remember.

Hungary has three national days each year, lots of flags and everyone is on holiday (almost).

Last edited by sandbender; 23-04-2011 at 16:12.
    "Ara s hora, segadors"

Not much to celebrate these days. Perhaps we should hold a wake in memory of what we once were.
    Last edited by Jacknife; 23-04-2011 at 20:47.
    "It is foolishness and endless trouble to cast a stone at every dog that barks at you" George Silver 1599

I have a St George cross flag flying all year round on a flagpole in my garden. No i am not a racist or football fan ,just patriotic,and yes i agree with what others say make St Georges day a national holiday.

Whenever I have to fill in a survey or similar, I always tick 'other white' then when asked for details say English. Most people don't get it and think that I'm just being awkward or racist. The irony is that I've worked with many people from other races, both in their countries and mine, and all of them are proud of their heritage (even the septics with only a couple of hundred years behind them! (the chubby white ones that is!)) and those that I have worked with would have been happy to stand next to anyone who is willing to speak up for their own people and way of life. Glyn.

ehm... reckon you're making more of this than is necessary. st andrews day passes pretty much un-noticed and the only reason st patricks day is so famous/popular is due to the excessive drinking.

so the moral of the story is if you want it to be popular you need to dye your pints white with a red cross and keep drinking them till pink explodes from every orifice.

also theres no national holiday - for st andrew day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lewis View Post
    In our town today, lots of little events. But was shocked to find a stall giving out free Qurans and Islamic propaganda!

Yes Its great that we live in a free country where we are all aloud to express our views on our national day. It one of the many things that make me proud to be British

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    Yes Its great that we live in a free country where we are all aloud to express our views on our national day. It one of the many things that make me proud to be British
    very well said that man

stuart
    Let not a man guard his dignity, but let his dignity guard him - Emerson

my blog - getting there slowly

I'm lucky, my birthday is St Andrews day, so I do celebrate it each year. Hic..

What do patron saints stand for exactly?
    For a' that, an a' that,
    It's comin' yet for a that,
    That man tae man the world o'er
    Shall brithers be for a' that. R.B. 1759-96

Birmingham put on a massive free mini-festi. A groovy little folk band, followed by Beatles and Bowie tribute bands, finished with an orchestral ensemble. And oodles of little stalls celebrating English food etc.

It's not ignored everywhere.

Blog Entries

St David's day isn't a holiday in Wales, and pretty much all everyone does is wear a plastic daffodil to work, and maybe talk about how we used to be good at rugby.

No problems with St George's day being celebrated though. Why not? I think having a national day is a good thing, but there's not much chance of it being made a holiday.

Personally, i always know when St george's day is, because it reminds me to look for the mushrooms of the same name.

Happy St George's day to Englishmen everywhere (and I hope we beat you at rugby next year )
    Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lewis View Post
    Were there any stalls giving out free Bibles and Christian propaganda?

I don't think a National day is a bad idea, most countries seem to have one, although it isn't always the day of the patron saint of that country, Bastille Day for instance.
    "Ara s hora, segadors"

Quote Originally Posted by sandbender View Post
    Were there any stalls giving out free Bibles and Christian propaganda?

I don't think a National day is a bad idea, most countries seem to have one, although it isn't always the day of the patron saint of that country, Bastille Day for instance.
    we should have one of those

We should have an International World Day, where the whole planet takes a day off to celebrate that we are all the same people, with the same hopes, dramas and grievances. When that day comes, our species will really have achieved something incredible.
    <a href=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/aa-2.jpg target=_blank>http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77..._1969/aa-2.jpg</a>

Happy St Georges day folks, go and celebrate yourselves in whichever way you want. Never mind the negative asspects relating or surrounding your patron saint, you,ve every right to express your culture. We celebrate St Andrews day and I,ve been known to celebrate Paddies, and if I was with an Englishman today I,d celebrate with you.
    Never mind the zeros, go celebrate your national historical hero.
    cheers
    phil
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Quote Originally Posted by filcon View Post
    Happy St Georges day folks, go and celebrate yourselves in whichever way you want. Never mind the negative asspects relating or surrounding your patron saint, you,ve every right to express your culture. We celebrate St Andrews day and I,ve been known to celebrate Paddies, and if I was with an Englishman today I,d celebrate with you.
    Never mind the zeros, go celebrate your national historical hero.
    cheers
    phil
    Hurrah. .
    <a href=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/aa-2.jpg target=_blank>http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77..._1969/aa-2.jpg</a>

Just got back from a one night Camp to celebrate St Georges day. Yesterday they made bullroarers, with varying success. Today they built a pioneering tower and the thirteen Scouts and three of the leaders renewed our promises a metre and a half off the ground. I've lost track of what District is doing for St Georges day, but it seemed like a good excuse to do our own thing.

Strange, but the Saltire on my truck disappeared early this morning and was replaced by some tatty white dishcloth with red lines on it, don't know what that was all about!

Happy St George's Day! I couldn't celebrate my own national holiday (Independence Day) without recongnizing that most of our traditions came from the original British and Spanish colonists. Your culture is larger than can be contained and has influenced the world. Good and bad it's true but mostly for the better.

How about a "not to take things too seriously on BCUK day"

Quote Originally Posted by blacktimberwolf View Post
    How about a "not to take things too seriously on BCUK day"
    That'll never catch on

... in all seriousness though, and I have this same conversation with folks that don't even know it's St Georges Day... the only people to blame for it not being recognised in the same way as other National Days such as St Paddy's etc... is unfortunately, the English.

Us patriotic English are in the minority compared to others like Scotland, Ireland, U.S. etc. And that is truly sad.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 23-04-2011 at 21:20.

Don't leave the celebration arrangements to others, cos that's what everyone else does.....hence no celebration. get out there and give it some lads. Happy St. Georges day, whenever they decide to hold it that is. Up here not many folks know or even care about St Andrews day, we are more for Burns night so I reckon we should make hime the national mascot or patron saint...........mare drink please innkeep!!!!
    It's hard to soar like an eagle
    When your surrounded by turkeys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast