2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition
The Bushcraft UK, Advanced Arctic skills course is a 6 day (fully inclusive) Arctic bushcraft and survival course led by certified UK guides/instructors. The course is a "no frills" low cost opportunity for members of the Bushcraft UK community to experience and practice top of the range instruction, 400km inside the Arctic Circle.
During the course students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties.
Accommodation will be in snow holes and/or lean-to's.
NOTE: This course is not for those expecting a comfortable holiday! Moreover, it will be conducted in a wilderness location with no man made structures to return to in the case of inclement weather. There is no requirement for participants to do the standard Arctic course that runs before this course but they do need to have experience of wilderness living/camping and be able to cook/fend for themselves.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.
Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions.
Minimum numbers: 8
Maximum numbers 12
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)
Date of Expedition: 11th – 16th March 2012 (Inc)
Expedition go/no go date: 15th January 2012
Duration: 6-day itinerary. Arriving/starting day one/departing day six.
Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 11:30hr on the 11th March in Bardufoss airport arrivals hall.
Drop off for travel home 08:00hr on the 16th at BDU airport.
Accommodation and catering:
Accommodation: Snow holes and lean-too's
Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Students can either bring rations from the UK or purchase locally. Transport will be provided on day one at a cost of £2.00 per person/per trip to the local supermarket to purchase rations. Cooking: Meth's burning (or similar) stoves – Students to provide, (Meths and unleaded can be purchased locally) and/or open fires.
Nb. Every student must bring a cooker.
Expedition Cost and payment details:
Expedition Cost: £440.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)
A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF THE EXPEDITION DOES NOT GO AHEAD
Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th January if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th February (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th February will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)
All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:
To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
To pay by Paypal:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.
inforequest@bushcraftexpeditio ns.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)
To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
All payments are by secure means.
On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email,unless otherwise requested differently
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT
This course is an opportunity to put into practice true wilderness living skills and skills learnt from the previous week (If attended) and to learn advanced techniques for living in extreme cold away from conventional accommodations etc.
Subjects covered and practised:
1. Routine and living in the Arctic Wilderness environment.
2. Dressing for the cold environment.
3. Advanced Cold injuries recognition, and medical procedures in the cold environment. (Including situation scenarios)
4. Avalanche threats and other wilderness dangers
5. Tree felling in Cold environments
6. Natural Shelters. Quincy, Arctic lean to, emergency shelters snow holes and igloos - (conditions permitting) These will be your home!
7. Advanced fire lighting and Extended fire husbandry in the extreme cold.
8. Campcraft and camp construction.
9. Arctic Tracking and wild life observation.
10. Ice Fishing.
11. Ice crossing procedures.
12. advanced traps and trapping lanes in the Arctic.
14. Signalling and rescue.
15. Water procurement, carriage and preparation for consumption in the Arctic.
16. Field cookery in the extreme cold.
Included in the price:
1. Full instruction in Advanced Arctic Bushcraft and Survival from UK/English speaking Guides.
2. All internal transfers from/to the meeting point.
3. Site fees (private land and National park)
5. Fully trained on site expedition medical cover.
6. Bushcraft UK Advanced Arctic Course certificate.
7. Sauna/wash facility at end of course.
Not included in the cost:
1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire.
4. Personal travel/cancellation insurance
Optional/additional activities and equipment hire available on site:
1. Extreme cold clothing hire.
2. Extreme cold footwear hire.
3. Extreme cold sleeping bag + liner hire.
(all above subject to availability on a first come basis)