Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2 brick forge

Default My 2 brick forge

I finally got around to making my new small, 2 brick gas forge. I used some Insulation Brick 23GD - 230 x 152 x 76mm, so a bit bigger than ordinary bricks. It's easier to do it in two halves, because you can carve the chamber out much more easily. I used a spoon,as the bricks are quite soft, and also used a rasp to finish. My blow torch is not a beast by any means but it does the job quite well. The fire cement has not cracked at all, so far anyway, but the bricks have developed a few cracks. I don't think they are much of a problem though.

Once carved, both halves of the chamber are lined with refractory cement, then attached together, simply by using garden wire. The joints between both bricks received some refractory cement too, that was a bit more difficult due to the relative narrowness of the chamber, but not too bad. Then I folded a sheet of aluminium around it to protect the soft bricks. Then I put the whole caboodle into the cooker's oven for a couple of hours to cure the cement.

I fired it today and forged a couple of blades out of some 3/8" Silver Steel . So far, I am very pleased with it: it gives out plenty of heat for small blades and I can use it inside my workshop, with the door open for ventilation of course! Until I can come up with a more imaginative maker's mark, I am going to stamp my initials JD on the blades.

I have put the whole thing on top of some more refractory bricks, to prevent any risk of scorching the bench. The outside of the forge does get warm but not too badly, so there shouldn't be any problems.
    My blog

Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity, so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.

lookin good,
    never used a gas forge, let along a mini one like that.
    how long does it take to get a good forging heat on those blades??
    Loenja
    Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

I haven't timed it, but just a few minutes. The blades are 3" and 2" respectively. The silver steel bar is 3/8" (9mm) diameter. I think there would be no problem making longer blades although I haven't tried yet.
    My blog

Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity, so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.

Hey jojo , that looks awsome.
    you don't need anything bigger for one blade at a time.
    i've got the gas & torch so when i need a forge i now know
    just what to do ! perfect

cheers Craig.............
    "Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion."

" Veni , Vidi , Dormivi "

Fantastic! What a wonderful idea - that's going on the list of things to try!

Dave
    So many look, so few see.

I'm not tight! I'm frugal!

Quote Originally Posted by MartiniDave View Post
    Fantastic! What a wonderful idea - that's going on the list of things to try!

Dave
    I second that...genius idea..

did you move the hole for the torch?

looks pretty good mate - where did you get the bricks?

cheers
    FEATHER FORGE - Traditional Blacksmithing

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. Chinese Proverb

Yes, I have moved the hole for the blowtorch because I thought too much heat was concentrated in the middle and also because more of the flame/heat was coming out the front of the forge. Now, I think the heat circulates better inside and heats the metal more evenly, and more of it goes out the back hole rather than the front opening.

I got the bricks on line from: refractory bricks. The bricks are quite cheap. The postage though isn't!
    Last edited by jojo; 08-12-2010 at 19:05.
    My blog

Good work Jojo. You've created something reminiscent of the Castree-type kiln (which I have as my HT forge) which would easily set you back 200!
    If you need to increase temp for forge welding and the like, you could introduce forced air behind the blowtorch in the form of a hairdryer.
    Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best. Live somewhere inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhill Forge View Post
    Good work Jojo. You've created something reminiscent of the Castree-type kiln (which I have as my HT forge) which would easily set you back 200!
    If you need to increase temp for forge welding and the like, you could introduce forced air behind the blowtorch in the form of a hairdryer.
    Now that sounds like something I may well try, possibly with a hot air gun! It may mean the hole at the back is not big enough, though, but it's worth a try and experiment. Thanks for the idea.
    My blog

Very clever Joel
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

How much was postage Jojo? Think this might be my Christmas project. - been wanting to get a gas forge up and running for a while now!

edit:- hmm Tenner eh? - you were right. - only marginally cheaper than some Kaowool.
    Last edited by Everything Mac; 09-12-2010 at 20:53. Reason: found out price.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. Chinese Proverb

one last question - what fire cement did you use? and is it vital?

I think I'll be getting the 26GD grade brick just in case I get things too hot. - but I cant find a small amount of fire cement which will go to this high a temperature. - I can't afford to pay 25 for a 25kg tub - especially as I will only be using a fraction of this.

that said I don't know if I will be getting the forge up to 1400 degrees C anyway. - would the 23grade do the job? (1250 degrees)

any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

Andy;
    but I cant find a small amount of fire cement which will go to this high a temperature. - I can't afford to pay 25 for a 25kg tub - especially as I will only be using a fraction of this'.

Try a shop that sells wood-burning stoves/spares; they normally sell small tubs of fire cement (and heat proof glass/rope etc).
    Hope this helps.

Basha

Quote Originally Posted by basha View Post
    Try a shop that sells wood-burning stoves/spares; they normally sell small tubs of fire cement (and heat proof glass/rope etc).
    Hope this helps.

Basha
    cheers Basha - I know a shop which sells some in town. Didn't get a chance to have a look today as I was held up on the SEM for my lab project.- but I shall have a look tomorrow. I have a feeling that it will be the 1250 degree stuff though. - but if that is all I can get without hassle then I'll go for it.

All the best

Andy

The bricks I got are the 23G, which are the 1260 c. ones. I got a 1kg fire cement from my local DIY place. I think, although not sure, that B&Q sells the stuff too. I think it's probably not necessary, but, the bricks have cracked with the heat, whereas the refractory cement has not, so, all in all, I think it's worth the effort of using the cement. I only used just about 1/2 of that. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, missed looking at the thread! Don't forget to bake the cement in a cooker's oven at 100c for 2 hours before applying the flame to it, otherwise it burns and bubbles away! Don't ask how I know...
    Last edited by jojo; 14-12-2010 at 22:26.
    My blog

Cheers Jojo.

I ordered the 26G bricks last night. - with any luck they will arrive this side of the new year. I wanted that bit extra just in case. I'll get some fire cement when I go home.

I'm quite looking forward to this little project. - should be great.

Are you getting a nice even heat?

All the best

Andy

that s great, does any one know any links to how to attach a handle to that sort of tang? or how to temper the steel if that is the right word?
    josh

Quote Originally Posted by ledders666 View Post
    that s great, does any one know any links to how to attach a handle to that sort of tang? or how to temper the steel if that is the right word?
    josh
    there are few tutorials over on Britishblades.com -

also check out this link
    https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.ph...d=10&Itemid=15

best of luck

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Mac View Post
    one last question - what fire cement did you use? and is it vital?
    I got mine to repair my twin burner gas forge from B&Q. No probs yet in the last two months
    Whittler Kev.
    I loike making things I does. Happy as a...
    Blogspot at http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

great stuff. - I'll be making a trip to B&Q shortly then.

Just an update for y'all - I got the bricks and I managed to get some fire cement stuff from B&Q - though they did not have what I expected.
    Picked up a tube of winther browne fire cement. - this seems to be a sealant more than a cement but it is rated to 1500 degrees C - so hopefully it will do a reasonable job.
    http://www.dealclick.co.uk/product/1...re-Cement.html

with any luck it will be sufficient to fill the gaps.

I also managed to cut the inlet hole wrong so that will need filling too.

Andy

just finished naking our brick forge, great tutorial mate, simpleto follow, although...hats off for making the chambers using a table spoon, we used old wood chisels, two of us!! and mallets and it still took half the day!!!

The aluminium top and bottom? is it for insulation, if so i was thinking of wrapping the whole thing in heavy duty tinfoil, then bracing it ( strategically) with roofing batton, before securing it with steel wire. What do you reckon?

Pics soon to folllow when GregorScott gets his act together
    There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

securing it together is a good idea mate - I'm not sure how I'm going to secure mine at the moment.

I'll be firing it up in the next day or two. - just waiting to finish a good run of blades for heat treatment.

I'm quite excited tbh.

Andy

I secured mine simply with gardin wire, not the plastic coated one though. It's probable the bricks will cracks when you fire and heat it. The wire is ther to hold it all up together. You could also use some chicken wire fencing stuff. I put the alumunium asheet around it to add to the solidity of the whole thing. The bricks are quite fragile and the aluminuim adds a bit more protection. But even if you don's use the aluminium, I'd advise to use the wire at least.

Mine now has a lot of little cracks, it does not affect the use at all, the fire cement has a couple of cracks inside but none of them are a problem. Hope that helps.
    My blog

I wonder if that's a result of using the 23G stuff? Probably not but it's a thought. Seems to be working well though.

I'll let you lot know how my one gets on. - It will only be rubbish phone pics though I'm afraid.

Atb
    Andy

That wire isn't galvanised is it Jojo? - you had better remove it sharpish if it is. It is deadly stuff if it burns.

Hi guys - fired mine up a wee bit this evening and it was a dramatic failure.

I didn't get the ranging inferno as seen in jojo's pics. - just a hot spot opposite the flame.

I don't see anything obvious that I've done wrong. - the hole is near the front and even if I angled it no heat seemed to get anyway near the rear of the forge.

I was just using a bog standard butane blow torch - just not up to it?

Do you get a hot spot opposite your torch Jojo? Do I need to get it going and leave it to warm up or what?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Mac View Post
    That wire isn't galvanised is it Jojo? - you had better remove it sharpish if it is. It is deadly stuff if it burns.
    Well, I think it is, iit does get warm on the outside of the forge but not hot enough to burn the wire.

I didn't get the ranging inferno as seen in jojo's pics. - just a hot spot opposite the flame.

I don't see anything obvious that I've done wrong. - the hole is near the front and even if I angled it no heat seemed to get anyway near the rear of the forge.
    I was just using a bog standard butane blow torch - just not up to it?
    Do you get a hot spot opposite your torch Jojo? Do I need to get it going and leave it to warm up or what?
    I use a bog standard, propane, blowtorch too. I can adjust the gas pressure, although too much and it blows itself out. Have you made a hole at the back? And how big is the cavity inside?

There is a bit of a hot spot, yes, rightr in front of the torch, but it pretty much get almost white hot in there after a while,but I leave it for a few minutes before using it.

There is no reason why yours should not work, it may need some adjusting, but it will work!

Ahhh.. I just realised you said you use butane? I think that's where your problem could be, I believe butane does not burn as hot as propane.

I had a quick google, and it seems this is the case that propane burns hotter than butane. Also, you can get MAPP gas, which is hotter than either the propane or butane, although I have no experience of using it. It may also be that you only use a small torch?
    Last edited by jojo; 04-01-2011 at 18:43.
    My blog

hmm maybe - i think I'll have a go with the other torch down at my dads unit.

I didn't realise you had to leave it for a while. so I'll try that too.

there is a whole at the back and the cavity is about the same size as yours. - must just be my ignorance.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast