Alpkit

Thread: tin lined copper or brass trade kettles?

Default tin lined copper or brass trade kettles?

Hi folks
    I'm currently considering getting either the Crazy Crow brass or copper trade kettles.

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=820-300-000

both hold the same amount and the difference in price don'r signify so the question is which is better to use? I'm inclined towards the brass as it's a material I'm fond of but the copper one is more period correct for the kit I'm building up.

I've never used either material for cooking before so an hints on drawbacks would be appreciated.

ATB

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tombear View Post
    Hi folks
    I'm currently considering getting either the Crazy Crow brass or copper trade kettles.

both hold the same amount and the difference in price don'r signify so the question is which is better to use? I'm inclined towards the brass as it's a material I'm fond of but the copper one is more period correct for the kit I'm building up.

I've never used either material for cooking before so an hints on drawbacks would be appreciated.

ATB

Tom
    With both Brass and copper, you will need to season them, several time before it is is usable, (search on here or google it) never use anything but wooden tools in the pans, wipe them clean after each use with a cloth (don't use any kind of soap, or scrape to hard on the inside) re-oil after every use, and after a few years of use both the inside and the outside will be the same colour black,
    突き出る釘は打たれる
    the nail that sticks out will be beaten down

What Stuart said
    Brass jelly pans got absolutely filthy before the advent of Brasso and Duraglit, and folks just left the outside to darken down.

I think ask the weight and go for the heaviest one Tom. A jelly pan that's too thin burns like nobody's business, and the same is true of copper.

cheers,
    Mary
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Doesn't copper destroy vitamin C?

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    The opposite is true, too much vitamin c reduces the body’s ability to process Copper, and copper is needed to maintain healthy blood vessels, you’ve be ok if you don’t cook acidic food in an unlined pan, or give young children boiled milk cooked in a unlined copper pan, as both can damage the liver if you a genetically susceptible to it.
    突き出る釘は打たれる
    the nail that sticks out will be beaten down

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    That's why these kettles are tin lined!

Tom, I believe copper would be the better material. IIRC it has a much better thermal conductivity.
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

heating copper and breathing the fumes for any length of time is very bad, as said above, it will damage livers and give you terrible headaches and nausea ( don't ask how i know !! )

Cheers for the input folks, I'll see which is the heavier made. I'm seeing more of the brass ones in use on peoples blogs etc. No doubt if I had them infront of me It would be obvious which one to get but I don't think anyone in the Uk stocks them.

ATB

Tom

Herself has ordered me one of the brass kettles (along with some horn combs and what have you) so I should get it in a couple of weeks or so. It weighed 1.6 lb to the 1.45 of the copper one. When it's here I will make a bag for it that will foild back inside so what ever I store inside the kettle won't scratch the tin plate.

I'll have to find some 18th c recipes now!

ATB

Tom