Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo Tarp

Default Camo Tarp

Does anyone have or know where one can purchase a camo tarp? I've googled but nothing of any quality really comes up. Looking for a 4m x 3m preferably but smaller would probably do.

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a camo tarp that big, once you get over the standard basha size then you're looking at DD or True North who go for plain colours normally.

The SASS tarps are good value, they do a 2x3m in DPM ....
    http://sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=51
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

That's quite nice actually. It's a shame they don't do larger sizes, as camo just blends in so nicely. I've got a poly cotton Tatonka 4 x 3 tarp in pistachio I think! But it just sticks out like a sore thumb from a distance. Maybe the Basil one would be better?
    There does not seem to be much of a Market for camo tarps.

USMCPro do a DPM in 3m x 3m...I have one, but only use it for stealth camping these days.

Simon
    Owner & Chief Instructor at Wood-Sage Outdoor Education

also got a usmc 3x3 good tarp but like simon,i dont use it much.prefer my desert dpm issue.

Try basha mate that will work , ebay is full of them ...

You can always spray them in camo, like a lot of army boys do. You can get surprisingly good results that belnd into woods & fields better than a lot of standard DPM ones, if you dont go too heavy on the browns. Here are a couple of pics of my favorite small tarp that I picked up off an airsofter that is very good in both woods & in fields.

5.jpg6.jpg
    The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship.

They do look good. Has anyone here tried spraying a tarp? Could make a good pattern. What paint do you use? I feel it's always better to blend in where ever you stay!

Not tried it on a tarp but ive done two old rucksack's just used paint from a modeling shop both spray and the small tins mainly woodland brown,ocre,and shades of green,works well but does make the material a little stiffer,ok on a ruck,but maybe a issue on a tarp,although Neumo's looks very effective.

That tarp of mine was done by an ex-army sniper who has been doing t for years. It's a olive tarp with swirls of yellow, dark green & a bit of brown. It looks a bit unliky as camo but it just blends in really well in woods, fields or in the caseof the photos on dunes next to a beach.

have you got fiberglass tent poles keeping the tarp up ?

Really like that cammo pattern Neumo. any chance of a more detailed close up version of it? Having painted my motorbike in urban cammo I know how difficult doing somthing like that is. I was boss-eyed by the time I finished it.

Like the idea a lot of painting a tarp but I traded something for a cammo poncho recently so I suppose there's no need. Hmmm saying that I cculd paint the inside of one of the ordinary green ones I have and have it reversable.

Stealth camping, yeah I like the sound of that. (Insert theme tune to Mission Impossible)

have you got fiberglass tent poles keeping the tarp up ?
    Yes that was a 'dome tarp' I messed about with a few weeks ago, that was covered on this thread:
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...67&pagenumber=

Biker:
    Here are some pics of the spray job close up & of it set up in the woods. The trap is olive green & the trick to painting seems to be to leave enough of the green of the tarp showing so that blends in with the yellow, brown & other colours sprayed on. It is great for stealth camping or nature watching as birds just dont seem to see it. I have had an owl land in a tree about 20 yards away & it did not see me while I watched it eat it's lunch. I bought it off an airsofter, who are good people to know when it comes to second hand army kit.

I will bring it along to the moot so you can have a good look at it. I want to learn how it's done so will try to copy it some time.

SL730608.jpg

SL730610.jpg
    Last edited by Neumo; 20-06-2010 at 00:59.

Thanks for that. I'm going to run a google image search to try and scare up some homemade cammo designs. Mass produced DPM stuff is OK but I'm betting snipers and such are taught to take it to a new level. Not that I intend being a sniper, but these things interest me. Cammouflage, that is, not sniping.

Anyway really impressed with that. Thanks for sharing.

thanks for that i am loving the idea (wonders off looking for tent poles )

Getting some interesting results back on that google image search.

Thought I'd share a pic of that paint job I did on my bike. You can see why I went boss-eyed doing it, so many overlaps.

Having moved from a town into rural France you can see I really blend in now. D'oh!

Sorry for the thread hijack Bizmarty.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    Getting some interesting results back on that google image search.

Thought I'd share a pic of that paint job I did on my bike. You can see why I went boss-eyed doing it, so many overlaps.

Having moved from a town into rural France you can see I really blend in now. D'oh!

Sorry for the thread hijack Bizmarty.
    Nice paint job ... did u do it your self ....

Yup, used tipex and crayons. No worries about going outside the lines either. Bonus!
    Last edited by Biker; 20-06-2010 at 18:33.

Hey, no problem dude :-) like the paint job on the bike! I'm interested in camo design too. That's a good idea using a green tarp. DPM has 4 colours, green, black, brown and light beige. I've though about using landscape pictures on some photo editing software and adding differnt colours to a section of the land to get different results. Not sure about the shapes that should be used for each colour though. Anyone else tried this or different methods of developing camo for a item?

What tarp material would be best to take the paint from model shops? I'm sure some would look, feel, last & pack away better that others?

I am not sure what materials take paint best but mine is a pretty standard tarp material. It gets stored folded up and the paint has started to crack in places, in irregular patterns, but that adds to the camo effect as the olive green of the tarp material shows through as long random cracks, which adds another dimension to the overall effect. My tarp seems to be made up two ways of adding the paint; one is long (18" to 2') wavey lines about a spay line width wide (3" or so) usually have a kink in them & the other is patches of paint finely sprayed on from further away. Another way of looking at it is it looks a bit like the stripes on a tiger, that help to conceal it in the long grass, but a bit more random, if that makes sense. As with all camo it's about breaking up the ouline & the longer wavey lines on mine seem to work better than the quite short blobs of colour you get on DPM & other camos. There are some other threads on BCUK about painting tarps but can't remember how much detail they go into; i have also seen ex servicemen on here mention it a few times, so maybe some of the could tell you how it's done as maybe the army has developed some ways of doing this. Interesting subject & sorry that the OP's thread has taken a detour... but I hope they find this interesting.

Biker: I like the bike & it must have taken ages to do, with lots of breaks to stop your head spinning.

Oh I say Nice paint job cut the back end out !

good topic! i did some rucksacks and webbing with humbrol tins and got good effects. saw the plain og equipment painted up by sf troops for gulf war and got inspired. i just randomley dry brushed the paint onto the material and roughly blended in places, used some white, brown, yellow. amazing what patterns work well, if u think that dpm is a camo but also a uniform which is almost a contradiction! snipers from ww1 started painting their overcoats to make a true camo which is probably where it started. i saw some local troops in brunei going into jungle training with what looked like a home done ragged tree bark type camo which used lots of white and green and it was very effective.
    reckon spray would take fine on any tarp, not sure about the solvents in them having a negative effect on the waterproofing, any body had any problems?

Mine is a good few years old & the tarp is still waterproof. I must get some cans of spray paint & give this a go myself some time.

it looks like a German WWII late war tiger tank camo scheme.

if you have the means to sew, i have a roll of ripstop DPM (used to make Soldier 95 pattern military wear - official MOD issue), and a 100m roll of 35mm black heavy duty webbing - it could be joined to make a tarp no problem. i've been meaning to stick some up in the classifieds for a while

Hi folks, not been on this forum for ages, looking for a Large Camo Tarp also. A Mate of mine has a 5 x 4M lightweight Aussie camo tarp, asked him where he got it, and he tells me from a member on this very forum-Andywink.... Is he still around? and does he still make tarps? If he does, I'll be having one!! Thanks, Andy
    It's better to live one day as a Tiger, than to live a thousand years as a Sheep

Quick bump to see if anyone has made or come across a desent camo tarp? I feel Tarping season is almost upon us! Although I'm sure you winter guys have been out already!

Cheers

Blog Entries

Check out the DD hammock group buy thread

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69068

- new product 3x3m Camo Tarp
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
    William Blake

Default Gb

Well that was good timing! Thanks for the heads up! I'm in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast