Alpkit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egg Powder

Default Egg Powder

I have searched everywhere for Egg Powder/Dried Egg in the UK. Iíve seen some recipes on here that use it. Can anyone tell me where they get theirs from please?

Thanks

I've got absolutley no idea what this tastes like ( I'm guessing close to 'eggy' but not spot on )

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/whole_egg_powder
    Last edited by TeeDee; 29-05-2010 at 23:34. Reason: splleing!

Thanks very much, any difference in types or will any do? Just wondered about the protein ones?

I'd go for this onehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EGG-POWDER-POW...item4cef45827fi'd say the protein ones would have lots of other additives. But i did just pull that out of my a@@ and have no idea.

6. Default

I've got a kilo coming from myprotein.co.uk,I'll let you know what its like when it arrives.

Oh cool, thanks, yeah, will be interesting to know eggsactly (sorry) ;-) what the protein ones are like for cooking. What you planing on making with yours?

Come to think of it, I have no idea what cooking with egg powder will be like, is it really an egg substitute or just convenient to carry?

9. Default

It's just spray dried whole egg,nothing added to it.I'll be doing mostly scrambled eggs and omelletes.

I used to get it in the baking department in my local Tesco but they stopped selling it a few months ago! They may still do it in other Tesco stores my mate lives in Swindon and they still stock it.
    Knife nut and space cadet!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus2 View Post
    It's just spray dried whole egg,nothing added to it.I'll be doing mostly scrambled eggs and omelletes.
    Scrambled nug and omelettes is what we used to use it for.

You can knock some together and add it to fried rice at home, if using up leftover boiled rice.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into Jet engines...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

12. Default

Well the whole egg powder arrived today.Have'nt had time to do much more than mix some with water into a runny batter constituency and chuck it in the frying pan,I'm well impressed with it.Tastes more like pancake than egg to be honest,I think with sliced salami or cheese etc it will be a good thing to carry on light weight overnighters or canoe trips.I cant see why it should'nt be a success used for scrambled egg either.

Quote Originally Posted by robevs73 View Post
    I used to get it in the baking department in my local Tesco but they stopped selling it a few months ago! They may still do it in other Tesco stores my mate lives in Swindon and they still stock it.
    Yep me too, so I contacted the manufacturers, it used to be SuperCook, or something like that, but they were bought by Dr. Oetker Ė they have decided that thereís no retail market for whole dried egg Ė end of story!

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    Yep me too, so I contacted the manufacturers, it used to be SuperCook, or something like that, but they were bought by Dr. Oetker – they have decided that there’s no retail market for whole dried egg – end of story!
    Not surprising really, the majorit of folk who bought it would have been fan's long before Marks and Spencers developed the whole 'chill chain' concept in this country - negating the need for dried rationable goods. The camping/bushcraft community probably isn't enough to justify supermarkets getting it in.

Does anyone know how how to dry yer own egg, or a good way of transporting fresh eggs in to the woods? In my dads day they would have just looked for some wild eggs (pigeon or something similar) and that'd solve the problem. Definitely not the done thing now...
    speak softly and carry a great big stick...

Quote Originally Posted by locum76 View Post
    a good way of transporting fresh eggs in to the woods? ..
    Nestle eggs in tupperware (actually lok n lok) tub of bannock mix
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Try http://www.internationalegg.co.uk/ I've found the whole egg is good stuff if a little pricey.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Hi guys found this website when looking for dried egg it tells you how to make your own havent tryed it myself yet so dont know how good it works out .
    http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/arc.../t-114289.html

cheers Iain

but using egg powder means no fryed egg with your bacon butty on a morning

my local weigh and save sell it loose at £1.80 per 100g and also my local Holland and Barrets health food shop sell it too

Never heard of Weigh and Save before, donít think there is one by me, there is a Holland and Barrets though, was it pure dried egg or the protein stuff? The protein stuff might be exactly the same for all I know!?

21. Default

It is exactly the same.

How does powdered whole egs come out when cooked as scrambled eggs ? goo and tasteles or yellow and ok ?

Tesco baking section - Supercook Egg powder - works for bannock, scrambled egg or omlettes.

Edit - sorry missed posts in the middle - didn't spot reference already there - I will be disappointed if they've completely stopped.

if youv'e ever had contract catering type scrambled egg the big hot plate version, it tastes like that, I love the stuff.

Well, I tried my egg powder this weekend. It was very nice! I put to much powder and added the water to the powder which resulted in lumps and a massive amount of egg to consume!! But it made damn fine scrambled egg! I will try adding the powder to the water next time :-)

Default Egg powder

Quote Originally Posted by Bizmarty View Post
    I have searched everywhere for Egg Powder/Dried Egg in the UK. Iíve seen some recipes on here that use it. Can anyone tell me where they get theirs from please?

Thanks
    I repack egg powder as part of my business which wholesales all sorts of processed egg products. What I don't know isn't worth knowing! Any more questions are welcome! Beware the fishing bait powder, its inedible - not fit for human consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Will68 View Post
    I repack egg powder as part of my business which wholesales all sorts of processed egg products. What I don't know isn't worth knowing! Any more questions are welcome! Beware the fishing bait powder, its inedible - not fit for human consumption.
    Cost for amount??

never really thought about selling it in small packs, but top of head about £10 for 1kg packed in a resealable plastic tub which we use for salad. Its grade A fresh stuff which I sell to bakeries.

ged is offline Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!) Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Bizmarty View Post
    I have searched everywhere for Egg Powder/Dried Egg in the UK...
    Apparently you didn't search here.

Hi wil68,

what is the use by date if its in a tub like that and how long will it last once open?

Cheers
    Ness:-)
    Everybody dies- but not everyone lives

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast